NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

JoJo, I've been retired for 2 years now and my brain still kicks into overdrive too many nights. Your doing everything right healthiest.... So is the problem worrying about things that you have NO control over? Worrying is like the 9th or 10th deadly sin...sorry...there's so many its a bitch trying to keep up. Leave the phone, pods, laptops and books in another room and forget about your 'lifeline' to the world for a few hours. Turn on a crappy movie you have watched 10 times and you'll fall asleep right away. Caution: you may wake up to Jerry Falwell or fox news and you'll think you are having a nightmare!

Wyobee

Keep a cbn/cbd vape pen by your bed. The vape pens work instantly and the thoughts just go quiiet, it is probably something in the tincture of the liquid cbd that your allergic to if you can or could smoke weed.

Last edited:

FinLuver

Turn on a crappy movie you have watched 10 times and you'll fall asleep right away.
Ironically, old westerns or war movies with some shoot'm up do it for me. (ones that repeat automatically or have some continuous music at the start screen are the best) Something about gun fire that puts me to sleep. It also beats hearing the train switching yard, passing freighters, and Amtrak all hours of the night. Also, if it loud enough, the neighbors' sexcapades are nullified too. (apartment living)

Keep a cbn/cbd vape pen by your bed. The vape pens work instantly and the thoughts just go quiiet, it is probably something in the tincture of the liquid cbd that your allergic to if you can or could smoke weed.
I spent too much of my 67 years thinking some kind of drug would help...never did. The best I have ever slept was after fishing Icy Straits for 3 weeks and then making a 24 hour run to Noyes Is. Hard work, good food , good boat and good crewmembers made one really relax. Body, mind and soul. Been searching to regain that feeling.

I spent too much of my 67 years thinking some kind of drug would help...never did. The best I have ever slept was after fishing Icy Straits for 3 weeks and then making a 24 hour run to Noyes Is. Hard work, good food , good boat and good crewmembers made one really relax. Body, mind and soul. Been searching to regain that feeling.
Icy Straits wasn’t so wearing, but Noyes Isle could wear one down.
Are you suggesting Jojo hire on as crew?

Icy Straits wasn’t so wearing, but Noyes Isle could wear one down.
Are you suggesting Jojo hire on as crew?
Icy Straights was a cake walk, but you got to layover in Elfin Cove.. almost magical. It's where we started the season in 70, 71, 72 & 73. Noyes Is was home base for the rest of the season...Steamboat Bay & Craig. District 4 separated the men from the boys. And I think JoJo would have loved it. Lot's of women were cooks on seiners...but they had to work the deck.

Last edited:
no food 2 hours before sleep, snacking is the sleep killer

Ingested carbohydrates release insulin into the bloodstream, washing out the amino acids serotonin and melatonin which trigger the sleep cycle.

And ingested proteins release the amino acid tyrosine, which stimulates brain activity.

Numerous studies have documented the benefits of the '13 hour' fasting from dinner to breakfast for optimizing both sleep and health.

Those two hours will also allow the body to shut down digestion, reducing acid flow, a benefit for those suffering from Gerd/heartburn..

Icy Straights was a cake walk, but you got to layover in Elfin Cove.. almost magical. It's where we started the season in 70, 71, 72 & 73. Noyes Is was home base for the rest of the season...Steamboat Bay & Craig. District 4 separated the men from the boys. And I think JoJo would have loved it. Lot's of women were cooks on seiners...but they had to work the deck.
Fished up there in mid ‘70’s. There wasn’t a crew member that didn’t want more sleep, but it was a great job and helped me pay for college.
There was a guy with a little Kodiak seiner out of Ketchikan that had an all female crew. They worked hard and caught fish. I skied with a couple of them during the off season. Nice people, good times.
I’ll bet Jojo would have been a good deck hand. Great experience for acquiring sleeping skills!!

Last edited:

Hem

Honesty the best policy. From your description it sounds like you are wrapped a little tight. Don't take this the wrong way but maybe a dinner at a nice restaurant with your husband, a moderate dose of your favorite wine, make sure he has some shellfish(oysters/mussels). Head home for ,you guessed it, and make sure you get a happy ending. SHOULD work!?

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
Honesty the best policy. From your description it sounds like you are wrapped a little tight. Don't take this the wrong way but maybe a dinner at a nice restaurant with your husband, a moderate dose of your favorite wine, make sure he has some shellfish(oysters/mussels). Head home for ,you guessed it, and make sure you get a happy ending. SHOULD work!?

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Don't eat Chocolate at night as it has caffeine in it. Anything chocolate will keep you awake. I also have an active brain. When I can't sleep I think of things in the past. Also Coke or Pepsi also have Caffeine in it. I have that thing with the ear also. It seems that when you get older it hits you. It can really fuck you up.

My wife just spent two days in the Hospital because of it. It cause her to dizzy and disorientated. She thought she was on the verge of a heart attack. Same thing happened before. Same symptoms as this last one. They finally did some tests and found she had that disease. Tinnitus. After reading up on it I think I have it also. I always have a noise in my head/ears. I just felt it was from my old head injury, but old age also sets it off. I just ignore it and it doesn't bother me.

I use Melatonin to sleep at night, but sometimes it don't work , I tried keeping my eyes shut also. Sometimes that works. And sometimes nothing I can do to sleep works and then I'm awake for about two days. Then the Melatonin works and I will get about 10 hours of sleep.

Latest posts