NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I learned to sleep on military transport planes when being deployed. And those suckers were loud; very little or no sound insulation. The Mrs hates flying with me. As soon as we reach cruising altitude I'm out.
For me it's sort of a process:
Around 8:30 PM I (now just naturally) start thinking "I'm tired".
Around 9:00 or 9:30 I get into bed and may watch TV, read, or surf my tablet a little, but the whole the time, I'm still thinking "I'm tired". Now the Mrs, she's a night owl; watches TV, surfs with her tablet in bed with her light on until 12:00, 1:00 AM... but when my head finally "hits the pillow" I'm usually asleep within 5 minutes. My wife calls it "pumpkin time" (from Cinderella). Sometimes I'll ask her to dim the light or I'll put something over my eyes.
If I'm keyed up about something I sing a simple little song that has 7 verses over and over in my head. Pretty soon I'm usually messing up the verses and shortly fall asleep.
If I'm very keyed up and that doesn't work, I count in my head. The absolute highest number I can ever recall getting to was 9xx.

For me the important part is the process; a little mental routine that puts me to sleep.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
JoJo, I've been retired for 2 years now and my brain still kicks into overdrive too many nights. Your doing everything right healthiest.... So is the problem worrying about things that you have NO control over? Worrying is like the 9th or 10th deadly sin...sorry...there's so many its a bitch trying to keep up. Leave the phone, pods, laptops and books in another room and forget about your 'lifeline' to the world for a few hours. Turn on a crappy movie you have watched 10 times and you'll fall asleep right away. Caution: you may wake up to Jerry Falwell or fox news and you'll think you are having a nightmare!
All right, who said i was wound tight? Hahahaha...Actually I am a Type A person. I imagine that Type A folks have trouble sleeping. And i do worry about stuff and people. And definitely watching the news doesn’t help.

So last night after our league bowling (which i consider exercise) I put on Netflix’s Planet Earth which is narrated by David Attenborough, (which is just as great as having Morgan Freeman read me bedtime stories!) Remember in high school how watching movies after lunchtime always made you sleepy? I figured this would be like that. (Though i have to say that Planet Earth series is pretty cool.)

I still woke up about 3 times last night but i went right back to sleep and had movie-like dreams so i know it was a better sleep. I did not look at my phone or iPad for many hours before going to bed. And because i am reading a real book now my screen time is less, it was the least amount of time yesterday than the rest of the week. I’m going to keep working on that!

@Darby i also tried the keeping my eyes closed and not opening them at all. It actually kind of helped because i was concentrating on keeping them closed instead of other stuff!

Yes @Old Man , tinnitus is so distracting. Like your wife, I also had a bad bout of vertigo which had me in emergency (I thought it was a stroke, it was so bad) and it was after that I developed tinnitus. I’ve been to the audio doctor and read up a lot. There is really nothing that can be done for it. And of course it’s worse at night and morning. I always sleep with a fan because i need the white noise. (Now i turn up the speed to make it louder.) I don’t eat chocolate or drink pop anymore. (I’ve read that too.)

When i first started noticing tinnitus it i thought we had an electrical hum in the house like a bad dimmer. I also kept kept tightening faucets thinking it was pressure sounds from them being partway open. Then i thought it was the TV soundbar feedback. Finally figured it was in my head.

Y’all are great with ideas here. I am going to try to melatonin again. Thank you! I figured many of us must struggle with this.

I did read up on Sunday Insomnia because Sunday seems to always be the one night i can almost count on sleep being a problem. I was surprised to find out it really is a thing! Has to do with work stress (which i no longer have) and a change in weekend sleep patterns.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
If I'm keyed up about something I sing a simple little song that has 7 verses over and over in my head. Pretty soon I'm usually messing up the verses and shortly fall asleep.
If I'm very keyed up and that doesn't work, I count in my head. The absolute highest number I can ever recall getting to was 9xx.

For me the important part is the process; a little mental routine that puts me to sleep.
Oh lord, but what about those ear worms you get from songs with insomnia? That can be horrible too. It’s most terrible when you only know the chorus and it goes around and around in your head and you just can’t turn it off. And usually it’s a dumb song. The last one i had was that Chick-a-Boom song because my husband was singing it around the house.( I made the mistake of telling him his band should learn it so my brother could sing it at his annual party where we get up and sing with the band.)

IveofIone

Jojo, thanks for starting this thread, I have learned a lot from it. During my annual physical a couple of years ago the doc asked me how I was sleeping. At the time I described myself as a world class insomniac and it has only gotten much worse since I lost my wife. In the past 16 months I have had 1 good nights sleep. To achieve that I woke up early one morning, drove for several hours, fished a river all day and walked several miles, had an early dinner then went out and fished till dark, had a nightcap and went to bed around 10:30. And slept well. That is hard to duplicate on a daily basis though.

The latest rage for better sleep seems to be the weighted blanket. People claim that these glass bead filled blankets are the missing link in allowing them to sleep more peacefully. I haven't tried them but am curious.

I know for sure though that in my case keeping warm is key to getting any good sleep at all. If my neck gets the least bit cold my sleep is marginal at best. I usually wear a bandanna or a buff at night and on camping trips always wear a turtle neck to keep cold air off of my neck.

It sounds as if you are a creature of habit and are having to evaluate whether or not those habits are beneficial. Now at over 80 I tend to do things the same as I always have but more and more I am questioning if those habits are actually right. Some are not. One thing for sure I have been doing wrong is going to bed and surfing my laptop until I fall asleep. I usually wake up again in just a couple of hours and then have a hell of a time getting back to sleep. At which point I just open up the laptop and start over-a vicious cycle. Now I have taken the computer out of the bedroom for good and won't be using it in there anymore. Last night I surprised myself by sleeping the entire night!

I had tinnitus for several years but somehow it just went away. It always sounded like the drone of R-4360 aircraft engines doing runups about a mile away. I could sleep with that sound when I was in the Air Force but 50 years later it was a real annoyance. Mercifully it went away and my hearing has returned to normal. I am still trying to balance food and drink late in the day versus sleep. Going to bed hungry means sleeping cold as your fuel runs low but eating or drinking the wrong thing before bedtime can really screw up a night's sleep. I'll just keep fighting it and hope for a solution at some point.

Hi Jojo,
My tinnitus is like yours, constant, but more noticeable in the mornings and nights I think because the world around us is just naturally quieter. My wife got me a digital clock/radio/white noise generator, sharper image brand. It has like 17 different noises it can do and the volume is completely adjustable. I just scrolled through them until I found the right one to mask my tinnitus. The cricket noise was best for me. Some nights I have to turn it louder and some nights don't use it at all. The digital time display is too bright even on the low setting so I have taped a piece of paper over that. Can still see it at night if I need to. Of course it helps if you sleep in a room by yourself as the noise can be pretty distracting to others. It's not perfect, but some nights it sure helps. And of course it does no good during the day when you are up.
richard

Insomniac here. Tried self hypnonsis, meditation, no coffee, decaf coffee, more exercise, no exercise, melatonin, Ambien, limiting computer screen before sleep, etc.
They all work some of the time. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I did see my Doc, internal medicine, for help he says, " Yeah, I can't sleep either."

Big Rob

My 80 year old mother suffered from insomnia. 2-3 hrs per night was all she was getting.
1/2 or even 1/4 dose... Kin slips shut eye. sleeps consistent 8-10 hrs now.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Jojo, thanks for starting this thread, I have learned a lot from it... The latest rage for better sleep seems to be the weighted blanket. People claim that these glass bead filled blankets are the missing link in allowing them to sleep more peacefully. I haven't tried them but am curious...
Huh, swaddling clothes. I put a "Thundershirt" on one of my Labs to mellow her out. I see they have them for humans too.
I had tinnitus for several years but somehow it just went away. It always sounded like the drone of R-4360 aircraft engines doing runups about a mile away. I could sleep with that sound when I was in the Air Force but 50 years later it was a real annoyance. Mercifully it went away and my hearing has returned to normal.
Thank You for your Service. I was a flightline toad, F-106 interceptors and was often around other century series jets prior to staged 'burners. Being a young dumbass I didn't wait if muffs weren't available on the truck before jumping out when there was a problem during runup prior to launch. 15% SC VA disability benefits for the tinnitus, not the hearing loss. But I get free hearing aids and batteries for life. I'd rather have the hearing and no tinnitus, but I've learned to live with the inconvenience and annoyance. The hearing aids do help the tinnitus though.

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I got my hearing fucked up while working at Boeing in the wing line. We were double gunning some big rivets and my ear plug in my left ear fell out. This is why I say What all the time for. Can't hear shit in my left ear. The "what" drives my wife batty. And I like it.

Latest posts