NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

wisconsin_fly

Driftless traffic...
I have similar issues; tinnitus, waking up a couple of times here and there.

Weed does help in any variety for me but agree the daily use/long term effects are suspect.

I like the drug called Trazodone. Lowest dose works for me from a sleep standpoint. Didn't make me sleepy, per se, but did help me stay asleep. One very noticeable side effect was I had more vivid and memorable dreams, so that just might be the overactive brain dealing with things via dreamscapes.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-11188-89/trazodone-oral/trazodone-oral/details

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I lived in Ballardone time when I was single.L lived in an apartment that had a community bathroom. I was out drinking and came back to my room and took a bath in the community tub . I was three sheets to the wind and promptly fell asleep in the hot water. I woke up when the water turned cold.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I lived in Ballardone time when I was single.L lived in an apartment that had a community bathroom. I was out drinking and came back to my room and took a bath in the community tub . I was three sheets to the wind and promptly fell asleep in the hot water. I woke up when the water turned cold.
God, i love these OMJ stories! Y’all are awesome with what works for you. I’m going to keep reading through this thread. I’m first going to limit my screen time and shut down at least 3 hours before bedtime (unless i get some of those birth control glasses!). Then i’m going to look into Vitamin D3. And also i’ll Give Melatonin another chance.

@IveofIone .... Oh i so hope my tinnitus goes away some day like yours! It’s been over a year now. And yes! ...having a propensity for researching everything that interests me or irritates me, I actually looked into the weighted blanket! But they are kind of expensive and i want someone to try it before me and let me know. Also i want to say to you Ive, that in the scope of everything. I can only imagine how it must be for you transitioning to sleeping without your wife. :( .... I am often in awe of your posts here about your story and what you write here.

@smc ....hahahaha... i could never be hypnotized! I don’t even like to take too much THC because i don’t like that out of control feeling.

ffb

God, i love these OMJ stories! Y’all are awesome with what works for you. I’m going to keep reading through this thread. I’m first going to limit my screen time and shut down at least 3 hours before bedtime (unless i get some of those birth control glasses!). Then i’m going to look into Vitamin D3. And also i’ll Give Melatonin another chance.

@IveofIone .... Oh i so hope my tinnitus goes away some day like yours! It’s been over a year now. And yes! ...having a propensity for researching everything that interests me or irritates me, I actually looked into the weighted blanket! But they are kind of expensive and i want someone to try it before me and let me know. Also i want to say to you Ive, that in the scope of everything. I can only imagine how it must be for you transitioning to sleeping without your wife. :( .... I am often in awe of your posts here about your story and what you write here.

@smc ....hahahaha... i could never be hypnotized! I don’t even like to take too much THC because i don’t like that out of control feeling.
I have one of the weighted blankets that my wife got me. Its great for lounging on the couch and the weight does seem to have a comforting affect, but at least for me it's just too heavy for sleep. I wake up in a panic that I can't move freely because of the weight of it and tend to feel claustrophobic. Ironic because anxiety is one of the things it's supposed to help with.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I have one of the weighted blankets that my wife got me. Its great for lounging on the couch and the weight does seem to have a comforting affect, but at least for me it's just too heavy for sleep. I wake up in a panic that I can't move freely because of the weight of it and tend to feel claustrophobic. Ironic because anxiety is one of the things it's supposed to help with.
That’s good to know. Because i am a bit, actually quite a bit, claustrophobic and i worried about that. I have a fear of a slow death, dying by being trapped under a bunch of rubble. I know it’s stupid. I watch too many movies.

jamma

I mentioned it in one of my posts. One if the downsides is I am not asleep long enough to enter into the deep sleep that enables dreaming. It is extremely rare for me to remember a dream and when I do, it's just a tiny fragment that dissolves before I can grasp it. Don't know what effect that has on my mental well-being, perhaps a sleep researcher would know.

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon
jamma briefly touched on sleep apnea as one cause. I know this can be a contentious issue, but I can only relate my experience with sleep apnea. In 1997 I had a medical procedure called Uvulopalatopharygoplasty. This is the removal of soft tissue at the back of throat in an attempt to alleviate snoring. It did reduce what was a sound like a roaring jet down to what has been described as a person being strangled(as related by others in the vicinity). Ten years later I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea by an overnight sleep study in the hospital. My sleep was interrupted an average of twice per minute due to obstructive sleep apnea(being strangled?). My blood oxygen level was reduced to the seventy percentile(life threatning). I never reached REM stage(dreaming) of sleep. Four hours into the overnight study I was put on a Constant Positive Air Pressure(CPAP) machine. The sleep apnea's quit. Within one hour on the CPAP I had reached REM stage of sleep. I clearly remember walking through the hospital parking lot later that morning realizing what I had been missing due to the lack of a restorative nights sleep. I have only missed two nights on the CPAP machine in the past ten years, and that is due to an electrical malfunction while camping.
It probably took a year to get used to sleeping with the CPAP mask along with the use of Zolpidem Tart(Ambien) until I was able to wean myself off the sleep aid. I do use "white noise" to overcome the sound of the CPAP machine. There is a reason why sleep deprivation is considered an effective form of torture.
CPAP completely changed my life. Not saying that this is the only solution, and that everyone will have something that works for them. Here's to finding what gets you a refreshing night of sleep.

FinLuver

It's 9:30 pm and I just had a bowl of warmed marionberry pie and vanilla bean ice cream (Umpqua Ice Cream that is)...

My belly is very happy for a good night's sleep.
And, no waking up too early 'cause I'm hungry either.

Night All...pleasant dreams.
:):):)

Latest posts