NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

I find that if I go out for a good hike, day of skiing, day of fishing or just a good solid day of yardwork I sleep like a charm its when I do not do enough physical activity during the day that I have a hard time sleeping..... might be worth a try..... oh and I do not have a device so my blue light is limited to when i am actually home and sitting at the computer..... see ya got to get my bike ride in while the weathers good.....
This only tif you do it early in the day. Exercise after 8:00 in the evening messes me up as does TV or screen time after 9:00.

FinLuver

It's 9:30 pm and I just had a bowl of warmed marionberry pie and vanilla bean ice cream (Umpqua Ice Cream that is)...

My belly is very happy for a good night's sleep.
And, no waking up too early 'cause I'm hungry either.

Night All...pleasant dreams.
:):):)
PS...It worked.
Slept like a rock!!

I used to suffer from insomnia a lot, which didn't really bother me until I got married as I used to stay up until about 1am and read, or code, or play video games. Once I got married we made pact that we'd go to sleep at the same time, etc. I'd go to bed, couldn't sleep and would toss and turn for a while, then get up, go to another room and read, etc.

No that I get up at 5am to get ready for work I don't have many problems with insomnia - getting about 6 to 6.5 hours of sleep per night makes me tired enough that I generally don't have a problem going to sleep now. However, since that's less than the recommended 7 hours per night for adults I'm probably not doing my body any good...

If I had a pond or a creek on my property that I could walk to I'd probably do some night fishing, but, alas, I do not.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
There might be something to this screen time for sure! For two nights in a row I have limited my time online and have shut down my iPad about three hours before bedtime and I DID fall asleep faster. (I didn’t have the TV on either which i often feel like i need.) I still woke up a few times, about every two hours, but i went back to sleep. My mind wasn’t racing. ALso, @Darby it seems so silly but your suggestion about keeping my eyes closed kind of worked! I concentrated on keeping them closed, which is harder than one would think, but this kept me distracted from other thoughts and quieted my head.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
It's 9:30 pm and I just had a bowl of warmed marionberry pie and vanilla bean ice cream (Umpqua Ice Cream that is)...

Yeah, and how big are you now??

Krusty

jamma briefly touched on sleep apnea as one cause. I know this can be a contentious issue, but I can only relate my experience with sleep apnea. In 1997 I had a medical procedure called Uvulopalatopharygoplasty. This is the removal of soft tissue at the back of throat in an attempt to alleviate snoring. It did reduce what was a sound like a roaring jet down to what has been described as a person being strangled(as related by others in the vicinity). Ten years later I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea by an overnight sleep study in the hospital. My sleep was interrupted an average of twice per minute due to obstructive sleep apnea(being strangled?). My blood oxygen level was reduced to the seventy percentile(life threatning). I never reached REM stage(dreaming) of sleep. Four hours into the overnight study I was put on a Constant Positive Air Pressure(CPAP) machine. The sleep apnea's quit. Within one hour on the CPAP I had reached REM stage of sleep. I clearly remember walking through the hospital parking lot later that morning realizing what I had been missing due to the lack of a restorative nights sleep. I have only missed two nights on the CPAP machine in the past ten years, and that is due to an electrical malfunction while camping.
It probably took a year to get used to sleeping with the CPAP mask along with the use of Zolpidem Tart(Ambien) until I was able to wean myself off the sleep aid. I do use "white noise" to overcome the sound of the CPAP machine. There is a reason why sleep deprivation is considered an effective form of torture.
CPAP completely changed my life. Not saying that this is the only solution, and that everyone will have something that works for them. Here's to finding what gets you a refreshing night of sleep.
Had much the same experience, including the useless and rather painful uvula removal.

CPAPs are incredible these days....and made a huge difference in the quality of my sleep and, in turn, my life.

jamma

jamma briefly touched on sleep apnea as one cause. I know this can be a contentious issue, but I can only relate my experience with sleep apnea. In 1997 I had a medical procedure called Uvulopalatopharygoplasty. This is the removal of soft tissue at the back of throat in an attempt to alleviate snoring. It did reduce what was a sound like a roaring jet down to what has been described as a person being strangled(as related by others in the vicinity). Ten years later I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea by an overnight sleep study in the hospital. My sleep was interrupted an average of twice per minute due to obstructive sleep apnea(being strangled?). My blood oxygen level was reduced to the seventy percentile(life threatning). I never reached REM stage(dreaming) of sleep. Four hours into the overnight study I was put on a Constant Positive Air Pressure(CPAP) machine. The sleep apnea's quit. Within one hour on the CPAP I had reached REM stage of sleep. I clearly remember walking through the hospital parking lot later that morning realizing what I had been missing due to the lack of a restorative nights sleep. I have only missed two nights on the CPAP machine in the past ten years, and that is due to an electrical malfunction while camping.
It probably took a year to get used to sleeping with the CPAP mask along with the use of Zolpidem Tart(Ambien) until I was able to wean myself off the sleep aid. I do use "white noise" to overcome the sound of the CPAP machine. There is a reason why sleep deprivation is considered an effective form of torture.
CPAP completely changed my life. Not saying that this is the only solution, and that everyone will have something that works for them. Here's to finding what gets you a refreshing night of sleep.
Except for the surgery, my card-playing friend tells the same story. He suffered several seizures, maybe, while driving, wrecked a couple of cars and in the last one, clipped a car before he wrapped his around a telephone pole. I say maybe because after an incident, while driving a van on the freeway with family in the car, he was driven directory to the hospital and that was the only time where they observed what they described as seizure activity. Outside of that incident, his wife and I have never seen him have a seizure.
As part of his therapy, he participated in a sleep study and it was found that his breathing was stopping upwards of 80 times per hour. After CPAP treatment, he said he had never slept better. I'm not a doctor, but I suspect that he was falling asleep behind the wheel. Due to the circumstances though, his driver's license has been permanently suspended.

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
About an inch shorter than when I was in 20s, but about 40 lbs heavier than when I was in my 20s...165 lbs.
About an inch shorter than when I was in 20s, but about 40 lbs heavier than when I was in my 20s...165 lbs.
When I was in High School I was about 5'4" and about 135 lbs wringing wet. I went into the service that small. When I got out of the service. I was 5'11" And about 160 lbs. Between then and now I ballooned up to 295. I have since toned down to 220. And I have lost 3" in height. But that was in between ages 21 and 81. I started losing weight about that time. Trying to get even lighter. Would like to get into the 190's bracket. I was comfortable in that range.

jamma

That sounds good even if you don't have insomnia. ;) I have found that a warm cup of chocolate has a similar effect.

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
@Jojo . I’m no sleep expert even though I’ve done it successfully for 69 years. : -)
Maybe it was growing up with seven noisy siblings. Maybe it was sleeping elbow to elbow in a Navy ship’s berthing compartment three decks down with 60 snoring sailors and the sound of two huge screws churning under us. Maybe it was sleeping in a combat zone. Maybe it was sleeping under the stars in bear, wolf, etc country of Alaska and Montana wilderness areas just outside a corral of horses. To survive I was forced to turn off my thoughts while keeping my mental sentinel on watch.

Here’s what seems reasonable to me:

— If you are in serious physical pain you won’t sleep without first turning the pain off.
— If your sleep environment is distracting (too noisy, too hot too cold, too much light) to you, you won’t sleep well.
— What works for others might not help you at all.
— The sleep study pros issue general guidelines:

Don't take naps during the evening.
Don't exercise vigorously in the evening.
Don't drink caffeine-containing beverages (coffee, tea, soft drinks) after dinner.
Don't eat heavy or spicy food in the evening.
Don't eat late evening meals or drink large quantities of liquids in the evening.
Don’t watch TV, eat, or read in bed.
Don't pull all nighters. Sleep is essential to retaining information.
Don’t lie awake in bed for long periods of time and/or watch the clock. If you can’t fall asleep within 15 minutes, get out of bed. Write down your thoughts or do something relaxing before trying to fall back asleep again.
Don't compete. Everyone has different sleep needs, so encourage your friends to get what they need rather than bragging about how late you can stay awake.
If the above are satisfied, if you want to get a good nights sleep, you’ll have to find a way to shut down your thoughts and keep them from waking you up.

It makes sense to me that going from a full tilt awake mode to a sound asleep mode needs a transition period. Going 100 mph to stopped is pretty abrupt if you slam on the breaks. Everyone needs that transition.

Listening to Bob Seeger and the Silver Bullet Band doesn’t slow me down.

Yoga slows me down.

I hope you find what works for you.

This is something I've struggled with for years. A few of things that seem to help me are...
1) I leave my bedroom window cracked year around. I find the fresh air really helps. Eyes closed with slow steady focused breathing and fresh air. It's almost meditative to focus on breathing and fresh air.
2) Don't allow yourself to get too warm. I sleep hot anyway. Even with minimal blankets I usually kick my feet out.
3) The rooms has to be dark. The TV and Cable box in the bedroom have bright lights that I cover up each night.

Another weird thing I do from time to time is a relaxation exercise. Once your settled and comfortable focus on relaxing your feet. Then slowly work your way up to your knees and then your hips. It's an odd feeling but it works. I've never made it past my hips that I can recall. Again it's a meditative exercise to force you to focus on one thing and shut off everything else while you relax.

Have you ever just gotten up and written down a list of everything that is on your mind. I've done this a few times and it seems to work for me.

good luck with this - insomnia sucks

SpudFly

Should be fishing
4AE79864-E9F9-402E-A1CE-054AF62F6098.jpeg

I take two of these a day and after about a month it changed my life. There wasn’t a night in 12 years I didn’t experience insomnia before these supplements. Now I find myself falling asleep in mid-sentence while reading, like I’m 90 years old. I can quickly and easily hit the hay at 10pm instead of 3am.

Also, there are seriously detrimental side effects to both alcohol and THC on your sleep. When I cut alcohol out I started getting a way more restful sleep and now I can really notice the difference. Even if I have two beers at dinner and it’s two hours before bed, I still notice a lower quality of sleep and sluggishness in the morning. Alcohol is a potent disruptor of your REM sleep cycle.

Latest posts