NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
This is something I've struggled with for years. A few of things that seem to help me are...
1) I leave my bedroom window cracked year around. I find the fresh air really helps. Eyes closed with slow steady focused breathing and fresh air. It's almost meditative to focus on breathing and fresh air.
2) Don't allow yourself to get too warm. I sleep hot anyway. Even with minimal blankets I usually kick my feet out.
3) The rooms has to be dark. The TV and Cable box in the bedroom have bright lights that I cover up each night.

Another weird thing I do from time to time is a relaxation exercise. Once your settled and comfortable focus on relaxing your feet. Then slowly work your way up to your knees and then your hips. It's an odd feeling but it works. I've never made it past my hips that I can recall. Again it's a meditative exercise to force you to focus on one thing and shut off everything else while you relax.

Have you ever just gotten up and written down a list of everything that is on your mind. I've done this a few times and it seems to work for me.

good luck with this - insomnia sucks
We keep a cold room. ALWAYS sleep with the window open, a fan on #3 speed out of 5, and the heat is on a program that bumps in down to 64 degrees in winter. In summer our air conditioner is set to 70 during the day and 66 at night. I love a cold room. AND a dark room too, I mentioned this earlier that we have black curtains in our bedroom during the summertime when it is light at 5 am.

Trapper. I tried yoga but i took it at the YMCA which i hear is not the place to do it. It totally stressed me out but i got a few funny blogs out of it when i went. I LOVE Bob Seger! You just gave me an idea about falling asleep by playing Pandora on our Smart TV and setting the sleep timer!

I do not have sleep apnea so it’s not that.

I have said this for many years. I am the oldest child of four kids. I think when you are a firstborn kid the parents were always about keeping everything quiet while the baby is napping. Sssshhhhing everyone who makes a sound. BUT when the other kids are born it’s more difficult since kids don’t all nap at the same time and so the younger kids learn to sleep through noise. My dad reminded me that we grew up in Louisiana without air conditioning in the back bedroom where we slept but we did have fans circulating. To this day i cannot go to sleep without the fan noise. My Irish Twin brother is the same way. I pack my Vornado fan every time i go on a trip. (One of the things my brain was running on about was wondering if i could bring it on the Amtrak when we go to Portland soon.) hahahaha.

I work a 15 day on/15 off sea schedule. 6 hours on, 6 off for the duration. My sleep got really messed up a few years ago. Neurotransmitters were fried. Weed not an option, as I sail under a federal license. I had a Doc prescribe Ativan and it worked well, but I’d get withdrawals when I quit using it the 15 days at home. Not an option, and really sucked.

Ended up at a naturopath who put me on a mix of amino acids and stuff to help the neurotransmitters and keep serotonin down. Over the counter supplements called Seriphos, Tranquility and 5-HTP. Within 6 months I felt 90% better and slept a full night again. Three years later and it’s still good, even if I miss a day or two. I’m very not the woo-woo naturopath type, but at that point was willing to try everything, as it was messing up duck season bad. I’d encourage you to meet with one. Headspace app also helped, as did exercise. Naturopath actually
prescribed “more hunting and fishing.” Can’t argue with that.

An aside, melatonin is most effective four hours after you see your last bright light. Pretty much only works in the am and makes me sleep like a dead man, only to wake up mega groggy.

Last edited:

Buzzy

Jo - good luck with the changes you're making. I think turning of the computer devices is a really good idea and could well be a real help. Since this is something you've endured (endured? - suffered with) for so long, a change for the better would be cherished.

I often don't sleep well but since I've retired, I don't "worry" about it; no more 4:00 am alarm clock. I know that there will be a night where I will sleep better and besides, I can take a nap in the middle of the day while the rest of the workin' folk keep the world turning.

FinLuver

...and he didn't specify what size the bowl of pie and ice cream was.
Mel...I'll share my fly tyin' secrets, but not my dessert size preferences... ;):D
btw...how was my tyin'? I go to these to teach and I hope I accomplished that.

Last edited:

FinLuver

You just gave me an idea about falling asleep by playing Pandora on our Smart TV and setting the sleep timer!
That only works...till it don't
I mentioned I have a movie going all night. The best ones having a continuous looping action or some music in the PLAY screen. I wake up when these are not present. It's TOOOO Quiet then....
my mind says that "something's wrong"!!

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
That only works...till it don't
I mentioned I have a movie going all night. The best ones having a continuous looping action or some music in the PLAY screen. I wake up when these are not present. It's TOOOO Quiet then....
my mind says that "something's wrong"!!
I agree! Silence is TOO LOUD!

I cannot read without at least turning on the fan on our range hood. I cannot stand silence. I sometimes need to TV on but it has to be the right show...commercials can be terrible disrupters. That’s why i like the Netflix Planet Earth series and that fabulous narration. Sometimes i have Alexa play yoga music.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I had no idea there were so many sleep aids! Skull Cap, Trazodone and something called Kin Sleeps Shut Eye? (Not sure i have the right).

Oops! I gotta sign off cause it’s getting late and i want to stick to no screen time for at least 2-3 hours before bedtime! Thanks y’all.

Darby

Glad it helped, but TV is no-go! You've trained yourself to have the TV on, now untrain yourself. If you have to have some noise use white noise like a fan or download an app that plays some soothing sounds that times out. You'll thank me once you get past having the TV on.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Glad it helped, but TV is no-go! You've trained yourself to have the TV on, now untrain yourself. If you have to have some noise use white noise like a fan or download an app that plays some soothing sounds that times out. You'll thank me once you get past having the TV on.
Yes, weaning myself off the TV is next for me. Last night was another successful evening free of “monkey mind”. I still wake up a few times a night but i was able to go back to sleep!... I turned off the iPad before 8 pm (phone doesn’t count cause i don’t use it except if it rings or i get a text but that doesn’t happen late in the evening) and read a real book before bed.

@DimeBrite , i love those relaxing screens. Just yesterday i had one with rain and thunderstorm while reading. I also like the airplane one for ten hours. One time we forgot our fan on a trip during the winter and the first night i could not sleep at all. We almost went out and bought a fan. The next day I downloaded a Sleep Fan App on my iPad and paired it with my little Bose Soundbar and all was well.

JoJo, a sleep fan app? Just a guess, but I think your insomnia isn't exactly new? I get my best sleep in a tent or camper by a river or in the woods. At home my brain goes into overdrive when I go to bed.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
JoJo, a sleep fan app? Just a guess, but I think your insomnia isn't exactly new? I get my best sleep in a tent or camper by a river or in the woods. At home my brain goes into overdrive when I go to bed.
No, it’s not new. I’ve struggled with sleep since i was young. I shared a room with my sister all our growing up years and she would get so mad because when we were both teenagers (i’m three years older) i always woke up and caught her when she was trying to sneak out the window to meet boys, not matter how quiet she tried to be. What’s fairly new is not being able to fall asleep until after 3 am.

Hahaha, i never slept well camping because i didn’t always feel safe. I used to always say the only thing between me and a murderer or serial killer was a zipper.

Latest posts