NFR Stump Removal

the_grube

I have about a dozen tree stumps on my property, they range from 12-24" in size; with a few coming in larger, maybe 32".

I'm leaning towards renting a stump grinder, at least a large walk behind if not something tractor mounted. I want to get this done in a day or a weekend if at all possible even if it costs a few hundred bucks for a machine rental. Any other options that I should consider?

I have some stumps I need to grind too. Is this a pretty easy task with a rented grinder? Rather do it myself then pay for someone else to do it.

I use P&D Tree Service for civil construction projects. Around $800 depending on how many. You could probably negotiate a lower rate for residential. If you have the means I recommend highly. Based in Maple Valley.

P&D Tree Service
425-432-7637

teedub

Come to my place in Cle Elum. I will give you a five gallon bucket of Carpenter Ants. Dump five thousand on each stump. Clear the pile of twigs and shavings in October and kick the stump out of the ground, Do not do this within a hundred feet of any dwelling.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
do a bit of shovel work, so i can get my chainsaw below dirt level 2-3”, and then cut it off, and then drill a few 1” diameter holes and pour stump remover powder into the holes..

its now dead, and i cover it with soil... a year or two later you will have to add some sand to level it after the wood has become soil

Buzzy

I had an arborist grind out a 20+ inch sumac stump, he used a self propelled stump grinder. I doubt the process took 20 minutes including off load/load. At 49 years old, you can probably handle doing it yourself....?
Back about 1957 my dad tried a few things to remove four or five old native growth cedar stumps from the pasture. He'd tried burning them with tire casings - this just made the stumps "harder", the Ford tractor simply spun its tires when chained to a stump and when dad took a running start, the tractor came dangerously close to doing a 180 degree flip. His chainsaw was too small with a 24" blade to come close to cutting these huge stumps out. Ultimately, dynamite! The first time he set a charge the result was a few pieces of blackened kindling littering parts of the pasture. The second time my brother and I were stationed along Cameron Road to stop any traffic. Oh man. It was so cool! A hole in the ground and cedar "firewood" all over the pasture including across the road and into the mint field. No broken windows in the house. And now we could move those 40-foot irrigation pipes around the pasture without swinging them around the stumps.

the_grube

Great suggestions. I took a stump count, there's 15 of them... There were a small handful when I bought the place. I had an arborist cull some dangerous trees in my back yard last Nov. and a storm this Feb. took out a half dozen more. Given that number I'm going to rent a self-propelled walk behind unit and get-er-done in hopefully one day and a six-pack or less.

I'm sure I'll be losing a few more trees here and there over time, the charcoal and or @Jeremy Floyd 's suggestion will come in handy for the onesey-twoseys.

Latest posts