NFR Stump Removal

Buzzy

Great suggestions. I took a stump count, there's 15 of them... There were a small handful when I bought the place. I had an arborist cull some dangerous trees in my back yard last Nov. and a storm this Feb. took out a half dozen more. Given that number I'm going to rent a self-propelled walk behind unit and get-er-done in hopefully one day and a six-pack or less.

I'm sure I'll be losing a few more trees here and there over time, the charcoal and or @Jeremy Floyd 's suggestion will come in handy for the onesey-twoseys.
@Jeremy Floyd no doubt can sharpen a saw blade quickly and easily, not me. He didn't tell you that running that saw below grade, even if you sweep the stump portion you're cutting, will likely dull your saw's chain. :D

kmudgn

Back when I was living in VT when I was a kid in the 50s I used to go with my great uncle (who taught me to fly fish) to the local hardware store and buy dynamite and caps to blow stumps. In 1968 that changed with Federal Law and we could no longer get explosives at the hardware store.
Fast forward to today when I am a lot older. I have rented the "large" stump grinder from home depot (it requires a trailer which they supply). It really does a good job and can be used by an old bastard like me. The motor is used to drive the unit to the stump and then to grind the stump via small controls which move the cutting head across the stump. I suspect other places rent similar units, but make sure to get the self-drive/grind type. The only draw back is the fact you need a truck, or large vehicle (I have a Tacoma) to pull the trailer

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
@Jeremy Floyd no doubt can sharpen a saw blade quickly and easily, not me. He didn't tell you that running that saw below grade, even if you sweep the stump portion you're cutting, will likely dull your saw's chain. :D
That’s why I use a drill on the dirty dunk in areas and make sure there are no rocks, use a brush in questionable areas.. use an old chain, etc

DimeBrite

Saltwater Angler
When I first moved into my house I manually took out a freshly cut 75 year old douglas fir stump to get some "exercise". I used an axe, saw, and a drill. Taking it down from 3 feet above ground to 1 foot was quick and easy. Taking it from 1 foot to 6" below lawn level took me awhile and was exhausting. I drilled the hell out of it and covered it up to let the bugs do their thing for about 5 years. Then I used a pick axe to bust out the rotten heart wood and roots. The grass is growing well in that spot these days! Of course I will never do this again.

I’d never heard of the charcoal method till a few weeks ago, my buddy is thinking about a stump burning party where said trunk gets ‘cooked’and we hang out drink beer and smoke some of his Cubans and watch it happen...likely not the most efficient method but I’ll be likely be lending a hand :)

Dave

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
I’d never heard of the charcoal method till a few weeks ago, my buddy is thinking about a stump burning party where said trunk gets ‘cooked’and we hang out drink beer and smoke some of his Cubans and watch it happen...likely not the most efficient method but I’ll be likely be lending a hand :)

Dave
You know your wife will tell you to just get some lubricant, if you tell her you and the boys are going to be burning your stumps out back..

I use P&D Tree Service for civil construction projects. Around $800 depending on how many. You could probably negotiate a lower rate for residential. If you have the means I recommend highly. Based in Maple Valley.

P&D Tree Service
425-432-7637
I have been using P & D Tree Service for over 20 years. They are a great company and quote reasonable rates for the work that they do. Always show up on time and complete the job that they bid for.

Latest posts