Ideas for a balanced leech?

Buzzy

They don’t always work. If the fish are on chironomids, you’re better off matching the hatch. I do best with balanced leeches when other food sources aren’t available or before/after the chironomids/mayflies/etc.
What troutpocket says-----^ I have no doubt your mohair leech will work when conditions are right but do add to your tying supplies. I've become a big fan of pine squirrel strips (assorted colors) for tail material on my balanced leeches and small jigs. Dubbing? I can't count the number of baggies of dubbing I've collected over the years but simiseal dubbing ranks up there as one of my favorites. Colors? black/red, black/blue, Canadian brown, olive, and on..... I've experimented with hot spots on balanced leeches with mixed results - excellent one day, zip the next. Rowley's punkinhead tied on a small jig is candy to carp and smallmouth. Tie more! Have fun.

Ricardo

What troutpocket says-----^ I have no doubt your mohair leech will work when conditions are right but do add to your tying supplies. I've become a big fan of pine squirrel strips (assorted colors) for tail material on my balanced leeches and small jigs. Dubbing? I can't count the number of baggies of dubbing I've collected over the years but simiseal dubbing ranks up there as one of my favorites. Colors? black/red, black/blue, Canadian brown, olive, and on..... I've experimented with hot spots on balanced leeches with mixed results - excellent one day, zip the next. Rowley's punkinhead tied on a small jig is candy to carp and smallmouth. Tie more! Have fun.
Thanks for the tip on the pine squirrel. I'll get some and give it a try. Actually, i have a few squirrels in my backyard that have been digging holes in my lawn totally ruining it. If I catch them I will turn them into fly tying material... :)

Buzzy

Thanks for the tip on the pine squirrel. I'll get some and give it a try. Actually, i have a few squirrels in my backyard that have been digging holes in my lawn totally ruining it. If I catch them I will turn them into fly tying material... :)
We have fox squirrels that have invaded Ephrata. They're beyond a nuisance: Gamo Silent Cat with heavy pellets = tying material galore.

BN2FSH

One thing I've noticed and have yet to figure out is that a marabou tail seems to make the butt end ride higher which seems counterintuitive.
I don’t tie mine with a marabou tail. I just use whatever dubbing I am using for the leech body. Usually simi-seal, something from FTD with rubber legs or fusion dubbing. I also mix lots of different dubbing materials together. Usually something with UV and the colors I want. Problem is I don’t write down what they are so I can never recreate them exactly.

Old406Kid

I don’t tie mine with a marabou tail. I just use whatever dubbing I am using for the leech body. Usually simi-seal, something from FTD with rubber legs or fusion dubbing. I also mix lots of different dubbing materials together. Usually something with UV and the colors I want. Problem is I don’t write down what they are so I can never recreate them exactly.
I like the marabou because it flows and jigs nicely.
I also, like @Buzzy, use pine squirrel strips on occasion.
I'll have to try a few with the dubbing and definitely need to order some stuff from FTD.

Latest posts