Fly fishing near Portland

As an alternative, may I suggest the North Fork Lewis River, above the three dams? It's one of my favorite rivers, has some big trout in there, and is maybe 2 hours from downtown Portland.

A lot of folks don't consider going north from Portland, but will gladly jump in the car for a long drive to the dry side, which is, admittedly, great fishing. But on the Lewis, I've had 20-fish days, caught 5-pounders, and seen fish that would eat those 5-pounders for lunch, big bull trout (which you cannot target).

Not opposed to anything. I also can cancel my hotel booking up to 3 days before my arrival so I’m not set in stone. Thank you for the alternative.
I’ve had spectacular days fishing the Maupin area at 12,000CFS. My guess is the levels will still be on high side but anything 12K or less I wouldn’t hesitate to fish. Seems like a lot of water but in my opinion it only makes it easier to find the fish. And yes felt is the better option.

IveofIone

I have never fished the D above 10,500 but have had great success in the 9,000 range. Favorite fly for high water was always a large gold bead head tan caddis pupa fished right next to the bank in soft water. Favorite water? Just downstream from the Oak Springs hatchery.

Having made the drive dozens of times I much prefer going to Maupin by way of the Dalles rather than going across the hill.

GAT

Dumbfounded
I would imagine the water by May will not be that crazy high... and even so, as Ive pointed out, it can still be pretty good. Remember, the redsides like to hang out close to shore and under the vegetation. They will be looking for stonefly nymphs crawling to shore and adult stoneflies that fall off the vegetation. So you really don't need to wade very far into the river.

I also would recommend going to the Deschutes, high water or not. There is also good trout fishing down by salem, but its 30-40 minutes longer and with all the high water and coming snowmelt, might not be fishable.

I've had great days fishing in the slow water just off the banks on the deschutes when the river is high and off color. You just have to be okay with dunking nymphs.

I’m not saying don’t fish the deschutes, that’s a fantastic river, but if you find yourself with some extra time one day fishing the waterfront on the willamette right in town could produce some bass
As an alternative, may I suggest the North Fork Lewis River, above the three dams? It's one of my favorite rivers, has some big trout in there, and is maybe 2 hours from downtown Portland.

A lot of folks don't consider going north from Portland, but will gladly jump in the car for a long drive to the dry side, which is, admittedly, great fishing. But on the Lewis, I've had 20-fish days, caught 5-pounders, and seen fish that would eat those 5-pounders for lunch, big bull trout (which you cannot target).
Upper Lewis is closed until Saturday before Memorial Day weekend unfortunately

My current plan is to leave Sandy around noon and drive to Maupin and fish that evening. Already have a hotel booked in Maupin so I will fish the majority of the next day before heading back. Is the area around Maupin and Warm Springs comparable in terms of trout population and wading access? I was reading about parking at the “locked gate” near Maupin to access a portion of the water. Didn’t find to much information about the gate, just snippets from researching online, can anyone elaborate?

My current plan is to leave Sandy around noon and drive to Maupin and fish that evening. Already have a hotel booked in Maupin so I will fish the majority of the next day before heading back. Is the area around Maupin and Warm Springs comparable in terms of trout population and wading access? I was reading about parking at the “locked gate” near Maupin to access a portion of the water. Didn’t find to much information about the gate, just snippets from researching online, can anyone elaborate?
There is a BLM road that follows the river upstream and downstream from maupin quite a ways. Driving upstream (south) from maupin will take you to the locked gate, but you can stop and fish anywhere before that. The locked gate is just the end of the road for the public. You can park at the gate and continue to walk upstream if you want. Downstream (north) of maupin will take you all the way to macks canyon. I dunno what kind of vehicle you have, but be aware that the river road is only paved upstream to wapinitia and downstream to shearers falls. You can make the drive in the sedan past those points, but flat tires on the gravel are not uncommon.

It's all good water up or downstream of town regardless. The fish are everywhere in the river.

Latest posts