The loss of a spot...

Buzzy

We need a BnB type company to be proactive and start throwing up gates with fees for keys. Better than it just being shit off.
I'm wondering if it was the same launch we've used (and lost) - I too had similar thoughts that wouldn't it be better if we could pay an annual key fee? But then, of course - fences, gates in remote sites are easily destroyed. Wishful thinking that it could work.

b_illymac

Member Active
Long putt:

I would agree that it is not “new”, I just think it has gotten worse.

It amazes me when families camp, outside of campgrounds, bring all their stuff in and leave it. They are actually “teaching” their kids that you can bring it all and don’t have to take out. It perpetuates the cycle
I remember 2 years ago hiking into a lake and stumbling on about 6 people rolled up in blankets, smoking drugs etc at 6 in morning. I texted @Buzzy who was 30 minutes or so behind me to give them a wide birth on the trail. It was some weird ass family who left all there shit like a half eaten 50 pack of hotdogs all over the place at the end of their day.

I'm wondering if it was the same launch we've used (and lost) - I too had similar thoughts that wouldn't it be better if we could pay an annual key fee? But then, of course - fences, gates in remote sites are easily destroyed. Wishful thinking that it could work.
I tried this...wishful thinking is a good description. The access I own probably could fish 50 days per year and I want 5 days. But we all lose...it gets fished 0 days per year.

Kilchis

SFR - the Crooked River runs thru it.... I encountered a ranch owner outside of Paulina, Oregon, who was famously bad tempered and who posted his place with hundreds of signs. I politely explained I was a Hunter Ed instructor for the State and would like to tell my classes why he posted the ranch.

I was expecting an explosive response, but he took a moment to explain. His place was in excess of 25,000 acres of deeded land, and landlocked within that was another dozen or more sections of BLM property. (For the city born and bred, a “section” is a square block of land 1 mile on a side, containing 640 acres.) Most of the land was gullied and canyoned juniper/sage range, fenced and cross-fenced. He explained that every August, when antelope hunting season opened, he had to hire two men, pay them a wage and found, and provide a truck to share and each with a quad and two horses. From the beginning of antelope season until the end of elk some time in the latter part of November, all those two hands did was ride fence and repair cut sections, round up cattle that had wandered thru gates that had been left open or thru the cut fences, and repair or replace shot-up watering tanks at springs.

And then he added, “The wages, the food, the line shack, the truck, the quads, the gas, the horses, their food and vet bills, the tack, the water tanks, all that comes directly out of my wallet. Those expenses aren't a cost of doing business, they are an add-on forced on me by vandals and trespassers, and every dime comes directly out of my profit. That's why NOBODY hunts or fishes my place.”

Understood and I don't blame him.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
And so yesterday with a few hours to spend on a nice afternoon I loaded up my son in hopes of hunting down a big prespawn smallmouth with my flyrod. As we rounded the corner in my old truck I saw a shiney new 6 foot tall fence... it does sting a little to have an access point so close to home shut down. A spot I have known quite well and wanted to enjoy with my son yesterday...
How sad. I feel badly for you.
There is easier access to a couple of my "Curtis Creeks" on private property. I made a point of introducing myself to the landowners, telling them I'd been fishing those waters for years, how beautiful they are, how much it means to me to be able to be there, asking if I could access through their land, that I'd treat it with the respect it deserves as if it were mine, and that I'd always pick up and pack out any trash I find on their property. Perhaps it sounds sappy. But I meant it, and I carry a trashbag in my pack and do always pick up any trash I find and carry it home to put it in my garbage. They're my favorite places on the planet.

Anyway, I hope you can find a way to take Liam to your special place, or that the two of you can find another special place together that you'll always remember.

Farmers locally have mostly gone with electric fences far more often now, as those expecting to cut barbed wire fences with wire cutters are puzzled in what to do.

In the "old days" farmers would let the high school kids who worked putting the hay in the perk of access to hunt the famers ponds, or fish rivers access.

Now, kids are lazy, haying is less bales, and the people who often come rolling into ask about access have a chip on their shoulder with an attitude that it is their right to access generation-owned land, then they drop in they moved from CA quite often..

That gets a rebuttal for everyone.

Last edited:
Agree with Skip, big dollar is buying top hunting rights locally, can make more on selling the right than raising a crop, it seems!
I do not hunt or sell rights to property-disclaimer

Guys coming in from the big city or out of state, want to come in and make sure they have a place to blast away.

Local kid has no chance to access water on those properties, and it is not safe to much anymore to go anywhere near water public access to fish if hunting is open, everyone is funneled there.

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Agree with Skip, big dollar is buying top hunting rights locally, can make more on selling the right than raising a crop, it seems!

Guys coming in from the big city or out of state, want to come in and make sure they have a place to blast away.

Local kid has no chance to access water on those properties, and it is not safe to much anymore to go anywhere near water public access to fish if hunting is open, everyone is funneled there.
I was focusing on fishing but it entails all lands in this state once accessible...Lumber interests in particular...Weyerhauser does not cut trees much anymore , the cycle is 30 years or so for viable timber ...a lot has changed. We know . I know. I used to work for Gifford Pinchot too in the early 70's...The philosophy has changed markedly. It's like a hedge fund for companies on the wane...Lumber was the big monetary stream...they can't cut it with sales to strip the forest of fir boughs for Christmas and permit fees for harvesting mushrooms , huckleberries etc...and it is raping our forests./..I know enough happy talk...I am out. and disgusted more every year. This is a big reason I don't fish as much anymore on the wet side of the state. I have so many stories to tell of wonderful places I have loved and waters I have fished in along logging tracks in the hills , remote and magnificent that shared with my kids and can't share with Ellen today because I don't have the will or money to buy a piece of access from the new money barons...It's wrong and apparently is no longer a heritage to share... That my friends makes me very sad.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I remember 2 years ago hiking into a lake and stumbling on about 6 people rolled up in blankets, smoking drugs etc at 6 in morning. I texted @Buzzy who was 30 minutes or so behind me to give them a wide birth on the trail. It was some weird ass family who left all there shit like a half eaten 50 pack of hotdogs all over the place at the end of their day.
Rather then Children of the Corn, sounds like Children of the Desert.
I’ve hit a few local parks early in the morning and found them totally trash by what looks like all night raves.
People sleeping all over the place, fires and litter everywhere.
Last year I had to call the sheriff after I found a guy non responsive in a car with clothing, food wrapper and broken alcohol bottle strewn all over the parking lot.
People are f’n pigs. I can only imagine how shitty the places they call home are kept.
SF

Last edited:

Latest posts