NFR OMG Notre Dame

That is what Ellen and I were saying
Paris will shock with all it's beauty and treasures, Notre Dame is a jewel and has heavy significance, no doubt. The Louvre not far away, Eifel Tower in person is magnificent.

Hope they can salvage and fix Notre Dame, and they will do their best

Skip, you mentioned it yesterday with your poignant post about forgotten artisans, the stained glass, the stonework, the man hours of highest skilled artists..lost forever..

Last edited:

FinLuver

It has been damaged and rebuilt before this...
It will rise from the ashes again.
Unfortunately, the artwork, statues and stained glass were a loss.
Out of that, the stained glass can be replicated; not sure they would want to try to do the same with statues and artwork.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Cathedral is on fire!
where are the hellicopters dropping water or something aerial?as a student of art history and architecture this is so horrible!
have you all seen the video feed?
Because Skip.........Paris, France is NOT eastern Washington.

When my daughter moved from eastern Washington a decade ago....I set up a "evacuation" plan for her to get back to Wenatchee in case of a emergency situation. She rolled her eyes, even though I explained that King County was NOT Chelan County and they had no clue how to deal with an emergency.

Two years later at 1:00 am I get a phone call from her. She was on a bus from her job in downtown Seattle to the University District. Dressed in high heels and a dress. It is snowing. The city of Seattle decided to stop running buses and kicked her off half-way between downtown and the U district.

The city of Seattle cannot take care of its citizens in a SNOWSTORM because it only happens every four or five years. I really how NO IDEA what the city of Seattle thought the folks on the buses at 1:00 am were suppose to do??

But they didn't care enough to have a plan to deal with it.

Paris is even in worse shape. The fire is a once in a thousand year event. No helicopters, no experience in dealing with large fire emergencies. With all due respect, they should be getting better at terriorist attacks.

All the fires in Chelan County....well the county emergency systems work fairly well, practice makes perfect.

The one news report that was interesting...the Cathedral is primary wood. Built 800 years ago from a 54 acre clear-cut!!

When I was there...it sure looked like a stone building to me.....but all that stone was just to hide the ugly wood??

Anyway, the important point of all this......contact your local Emergency Management Office.

You really don't want to find out they are dysfunctional with it all hits the fan.

Because Skip.........Paris, France is NOT eastern Washington.

When my daughter moved from eastern Washington a decade ago....I set up a "evacuation" plan for her to get back to Wenatchee in case of a emergency situation. She rolled her eyes, even though I explained that King County was NOT Chelan County and they had no clue how to deal with an emergency.
Comparing Paris, or the Big 4 million person Seattle metropolis to the whole of 99% of the small population of eastern WA-outside of Spokane and Tri-Cities, doesn't even compute. A FAR more complex situation in Seattle with geographic issues, add the high rises and jam-packed freeways compared to putting out fires in vast miles of mostly uninhabited pine trees and sagebrush is hardly the same.. Paris far bigger than Seattle.

Yep, Paris is no eastern Washington. Paris has 11.9 million people and all the complexities that go with it.

Guess they should take notes from how the people of eastern WA get things done correctly.

Last edited:

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Comparing Paris, or the Big 4 million person Seattle metropolis to the whole of 99% of the small population of eastern WA-outside of Spokane and Tri-Cities, doesn't even compute. A FAR more complex situation in Seattle with geographic issues, add the high rises and jampacked freeways compared to putting out vast miles of mostly uninhabited pine trees and sagebrush is hardly the same.

You really hate western WA, that is very apparent in your posts, but when has Seattle really screwed up in a disaster? Oh, the snow...yeah, that is the "go-to" for the E WA folk to point at-I grew up in Spokane, btw..

Yep, Paris is no eastern Washington. Paris has 11.9 million people and all the complexities that go with it.
Guess they should take notes from how the people of eastern WA get things done correctly.

You missed my point. Paris doesn't have forest fires so doesn't have helicopters with water dropping capability.

Seattle has NO PRACTICE with emergency management except for snowstorms. Which they cannot manage. Really, when it comes to emergency management.....so you don't know you have a problem UNTIL YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.

I lived in Coeur d'Alene when St. Helens erupted. The Emergency Broadcast System in Spokane, was finally activated after THREE days. Spokane County had NO CLUE who was in charge.....it is the County Sheriff. For Coeur d'Alene, well, it was Idaho....your on your own.

I was sent north of Spokane for the Firestorm in 1991. Spokane County learned its lesson from St. Helens. The EBS system worked, the County Sheriff coordinated operations, the Fire Teams pre-deployed resources and all the government agencies worked together.....even with the murder in the middle of it.

Spokane decided it had a problem. These days they have a functional emergency system. FEMA helped, but the local government decided they had a problem and worked on it.

I don't know if Seattle has a function EMS system. BUT if you cannot manage a snowstorm, my guess is probably NOT. It is better than it was earlier as the Puget Sound fire agencies actually have people working the fire emergencies in eastern Washington. So you have SOME people with a CLUE. Your politicians, might still be clueless and they are the ones that provide the leadership in an emergency

I remember the 87 earthquake in the Bay Area. The radio stations in the Bay Area REFUSED to go off the air. The OFFICIAL EBS station was KNBR, a sports station that was clear channel. KGO REFUSED to go OFF AIR and rebroadcast KNBR as was required by law.

So.......It is NOT just Seattle.

Emergency Management Services are a problem in many urban areas. FEMA in recent years with training exercises has helped. I actually, worked with hospitals, and others in FEMA training exercises in eastern Washington. It was awful My recommendation, on the side, was find a Forest Service or BLM retiree and have them just wander around and give suggestions.

My recommendation is that the city of Seattle and King County activate their Emergency Operations for snowstorms and treat it as a real emergency.

It was for my daughter......if a taxi driver wasn't driving home at 1:30 am she might have frozen to death in the streets of Seattle.

Oh, good luck to you in a 7.0 quake. Just remember it will take a minimum of THREE days for me to get there from Wenatchee and another two or three days before the teams have any resources to distribute.

Last edited:

KerryS

Ignored Member
I’m still trying to figure out how the hell a discussion about an iconic church in Paris, France being destroyed by fire has anything to do with how Seattle deals with a snow storm.

We got stuck in Seattle during a snow storm once. We decided to stay in a nice hotel, have dinner in a 5 star restaurant and make a memorable holiday out of the night. Next day most services were back running well enough for us to get home. Hardly an emergency situation.

Latest posts