NFR OMG Notre Dame

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Cathedral is on fire!
where are the hellicopters dropping water or something aerial?as a student of art history and architecture this is so horrible!
have you all seen the video feed?
Agreed, a tragic loss of immensely important historical architecture art, not to mention the center of the Catholic faith in France! I did hear on a news report (speculating that) it was feared the walls and roof of the structure could not withstand the weight of water drops from low altitude. I'm sure we'll find out more in the next days - weeks.

Agreed, a tragic loss of immensely important historical architecture art, and the center of the Catholic faith in France. I did hear on a news report (speculating that) it was feared the walls and roof of the structure could not withstand the weight of water drops from low altitude. I'm sure we'll find out more in the next days - weeks.
The world will be holding it's breath while fishing with shrimp scented flies.

Among all the amazing things to see and enjoy and simply soak in there, I actually much preferred seeing Ste Chapelle a few blocks away. Not to diminish the loss of Notre Dame in any way whatsover, but if you can ever go to Paris, go. Definitely go.
https://ronraport.smugmug.com/Travel/Other/
I too believe that Set Chapelle does not get the attention that she deserves. Sacre Couer is also impressive...much to see and enjoy on a visit...definitely would not want to live there...too many people.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Major loss of history.
When my daughter moved from eastern Washington a decade ago....I set up a "evacuation" plan for her to get back to Wenatchee in case of a emergency situation. She rolled her eyes, even though I explained that King County was NOT Chelan County and they had no clue how to deal with an emergency.

Two years later at 1:00 am I get a phone call from her. She was on a bus from her job in downtown Seattle to the University District. Dressed in high heels and a dress. It is snowing. The city of Seattle decided to stop running buses and kicked her off half-way between downtown and the U district.

The city of Seattle cannot take care of its citizens in a SNOWSTORM because it only happens every four or five years. I really how NO IDEA what the city of Seattle thought the folks on the buses at 1:00 am were suppose to do??
The city of Seattle hasn't operated its own transit system since the early 70's.
Solid work, keep it up.

Major bummer about the loss of such a significantly important historical building.
SF

They will never, ever, be able to come close to "rebuilding" Notre Dame. It was packed with art treasure beyond imagination. The wood carving alone could mesmerize. This is a huge loss to the world.
That it is. On a par with losing St. Peter's Basilica. Visited both in 74, long before I was 'wordly enough' to properly appreciate either.

smc

So sad, but also amazing that this amazing testimony to the soul and spirit of Man has survived more than 800 years, including the French Revolution, WW1, WW11 and McDonalds.

If news reports are correct, no art has been lost.

Rebuilding will be a passion, and a matter of national pride.

She’s scarred, and she will not be what she was. She will be even more wondrous.

Vive la France!

What a loss, would have been the only place in Paris I would have liked to go see.
Although it is, perhaps the #1 thing to see in Paris, there is so much more; just down the road and still on the Ile de la Cite is Sainte Chapelle, even older than Notre Dame and has a beautiful set of stained glass windows. When French Kings had their residence on the island, this was their private chapel. It's not ND, for sure, but it is ancient and beautiful, more from the inside than the outside.

So sad. Saw the whole city for the first time in ‘97 and this was certainly the highlight for me...says a lot given what’s all there.

Oh, and Cleveland deals quite nicely with snowstorms. Just have to clear one’s own driveway. Kerry I knew you’d be curious ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts