Snowbee

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I was looking on their US website lately.
I’ve never used any of their products, but they offer a number of different items.
I know they’ve been around for a number of years but you don’t hear much about them here locally.

Just curious to hear from folks that have used their products about the quality, customer service etc.
Thanks
SF

I bought the Snowbee Nivalis jacket a couple months ago after seeing them on display by Snowbee USA at the New Jersey fly fishing show. I wore this jacket several times on cold, snowy days, and have been very happy with it so far. I haven’t had a chance to wear it enough yet to see how it will hold up, nor do I have any knowledge of their customer service, but I liked it enough when I saw it to give it a chance. It is waterproof (so far, so good), windproof, and has 700 fill down, but it’s not breathable, so you wouldn’t want to sweat much when wearing it.

I understand that the company is headquartered in the UK, and composed of fly fishermen who design their products. I have the impression that they may not have a very big US staff, which might adversely effect their customer service, but time will tell.

I have owned and worn quite a lot of Patagonia clothing products over the past 20-30 years or so, but I’ve basically given up buying them now since the Patagonia clothing items I’ve purchased recently just plain don’t fit me very well these days. They have consciously redesigned their clothing items during the past several years to fit mostly tall slim people, having long slender arms and legs. I’m 5’8”, weigh about 205#, and have a 33” sleeve length. I used to fit nicely in their L size jackets, or maybe XL in some cases. Now, on Patagonia items I need XL to fit around my chest, but their sleeves are too tight to fit my biceps, and their 37” sleeve lengths are just too long for me regardless.

On the other hand, the XL Snowbee jacket fits me very nicely.

John

NukeLDO

I bought the XL non-hooded version of the Nivalis jacket and am quite pleased with it. Wore it on the Rhonde, Wallowa, Tucannon and Yakima in Dec, Jan, and Feb in the cold, rain, and snow. Waterproof, warm, comfortable. Only comes in one color, but that was fine with me. Price was comparable to North Face and several other brands that weren't waterproof.

I bought Snowbee waders a few years back. The neo booties leaked like a sieve, and I discovered it was a common problem with them. I use a number of Snowbee lines and like them, although the loops are crap, and need to be replaced with braided loops...another well-known problem. I don't know why they don't address these issues.

Stonefish

I bought the Snowbee Nivalis jacket a couple months ago after seeing them on display by Snowbee USA at the New Jersey fly fishing show. I wore this jacket several times on cold, snowy days, and have been very happy with it so far. I haven’t had a chance to wear it enough yet to see how it will hold up, nor do I have any knowledge of their customer service, but I liked it enough when I saw it to give it a chance. It is waterproof (so far, so good), windproof, and has 700 fill down, but it’s not breathable, so you wouldn’t want to sweat much when wearing it.

I understand that the company is headquartered in the UK, and composed of fly fishermen who design their products. I have the impression that they may not have a very big US staff, which might adversely effect their customer service, but time will tell.

I have owned and worn quite a lot of Patagonia clothing products over the past 20-30 years or so, but I’ve basically given up buying them now since the Patagonia clothing items I’ve purchased recently just plain don’t fit me very well these days. They have consciously redesigned their clothing items during the past several years to fit mostly tall slim people, having long slender arms and legs. I’m 5’8”, weigh about 205#, and have a 33” sleeve length. I used to fit nicely in their L size jackets, or maybe XL in some cases. Now, on Patagonia items I need XL to fit around my chest, but their sleeves are too tight to fit my biceps, and their 37” sleeve lengths are just too long for me regardless.

On the other hand, the XL Snowbee jacket fits me very nicely.

John
Funny, I’ve had the same issue with Simms as far as sizing goes.
I know I’ve gotten older and fatter, but their older XXL stuff still fits great but I feel like I need to squeeze into their newer stuff of the same size.
Maybe it is just the slimmer cut of their newer designs.

Thanks for the feedback on Snowbee.
I know they are more we’ll know in the UK then here in the states.
Anyone else that would like to chime in I’d appreciate the feedback.
SF

Last edited:

Jorge

I have been using some of their poly-coated leaders for two seasons now. They are not bad at all. Honestly, they seem to perform just as good as the ones from Airflo.

Stonefish

Just a quick update.
I sent an email inquiring about a line a week ago but no reply yet.
I get the feeling their US operation isn’t heavily staffed on the customer service side of things.
SF

I bought a used Snowbee XS WF5F line about 10 years ago, and it's still in great shape. Not only that, it's the smoothest casting, most supple fly line I've ever owned. It's got zero coiling, even though I've stored it on a reel all this time. It's also very adaptable, casting great close and far, roll casting, Spey casting, you name it. And it's also true to weight, not like these modern overweighted lines that leave you guessing which one to buy.

Latest posts