Does Anyone Launch Drift Boat with 2wd

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I have had my DB since mid 90's and always had access to 4wd or AWD vehicles

That changed a year ago when my son got his license and is full time driving the extra car. My wife's Tahoe is no longer available for my camping and fishing adventures as she cannot drive my plumbing van.

I have no problem putting in Lakes, but anticipate problems on rivers and streams as I estimate 25 to 50 percent of ramps require the traction if having power to all 4 tires.

Does anyone else launch a drift boat with 2 wheel drive? If so, please tell me about it.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I always put my truck in 4 low before launching or retrieving. Hard to get it in 4wd once the tires dig in as I found on the level in my dad's old suburban. I was at ben Howard launch in low water level, do drive across the gravel bar and quickly found the first don't spot while in 2wd.

racermo

Watch that Backcast
WFF Supporter
I used to tow my wooden drift boat with a VW Westphalia Camper. No horsepower but plenty of traction. Usually had to slip the clutch to get up the ramp. Damned if I know how the clutch survived.
Aaaah... the smell of burnt clutch lining in the late evening... brings back memories.

GSIEGEL

Weight in the back has a huge effect on traction.

Most ramps you'd probably be ok; some you'd be a fool to try.

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
I used to tow my wooden drift boat with a VW Westphalia Camper. No horsepower but plenty of traction. Usually had to slip the clutch to get up the ramp. Damned if I know how the clutch survived.
Aaaah... the smell of burnt clutch lining in the late evening... brings back memories.
I used to do the same with a Westphalia way back when - except with a 15' aluminum Westcoaster Bayrunner on salt water ramps. Never got stuck.
Vanagons can go a lot of places... if they don't break down. :p

Old Man

A very Old Man
When you drive a 2 wheel drive pickup you should know your limitations. I have had my 2 wheel drive pickup for almost 10 years. Got stuck twice in that time frame. I know where it will go and where it won't go. I don't drive in snow when it is snowing on a hill I tend to stay out of fresh sand and gravel.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts