Does Anyone Launch Drift Boat with 2wd

bhudda

heffe'
My 4x4 ranger towed and launched me all over WA ... now I drive my full size Chevy 2wd, has never gotten stuck because I’d rather push a boat then dig out a truck... a lot of rope and fear! Never fails.
I’d be more worried about salt water ramps IMO..

Riogrande King

WFF Supporter
Here's a little story about launching with 4wd.
As one of our members said before, lock up before you get stuck.
This was at a lake with a very good ramp, later in summer.
The water level had gone down 6 or 8 ft. and the ramp is covered with green slime.
The guy backs his boat in all OK, with two wheel drive, but at take out he spins out trying to pull the boat out. No problem
Put the boat back in the water and get the lodge owners 4x4.
Lodge owner is a smart guy. He backs the boat owners trailer down the ramp, gets the boat on the trailer and goes to pull out, only to spin out because he didn't lock up the front, now he can't get the transfer case to lock in.
Being the smart guy that he is he revs up that big V8 puts the wood to it and spins, smokes the tires and the weight of the boat pulls the big 4x4 down into the lake off the ramp and drowns the truck with just the tip of the hood and cab above water.
I'm glad I had my son with me so I could drive my 4x4 truck around to the other side of the lake to the other ramp and my son drove the boat over.
The tow truck had still not arrived when we drove by to see how things had worked out.
Best similar event I ever witnessed was the second tow truck pulling out the first tow truck and it's initial catch. This happened up on the Blackfeet Rez so it might have be cheaper to just abandon the stuck truck.

Joe H

I got stuck on the beach in a 4X4 pickup at Taholah, while drinking beer and watching the waves back in the early 90's. Being young and dumb I had no idea that non-tribal members were not allowed to drive on the beach, as well as the illegal beer drinking being double illegal on the Quinault reservation. A few tribal members were hanging out by a fire down the way, came over and got me out of my predicament, with one of their two wheel drive pickups.
I gave them the ten beers left in the 12-pack for payment and never went back.
Not a boat launch story but a 2wd gets a 4wd unstuck story.

gt

I got stuck on the beach in a 4X4 pickup at Taholah, while drinking beer and watching the waves back in the early 90's. Being young and dumb I had no idea that non-tribal members were not allowed to drive on the beach, as well as the illegal beer drinking being double illegal on the Quinault reservation. A few tribal members were hanging out by a fire down the way, came over and got me out of my predicament, with one of their two wheel drive pickups.
I gave them the ten beers left in the 12-pack for payment and never went back.
Not a boat launch story but a 2wd gets a 4wd unstuck story.
10PSI in your tires when you are on the sand.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
I was at a launch some years ago and a gentleman started backing his boat in the Lake. I noticed that he still had the hold down straps securing the boat to the trailer and told him such. He said it is no problem and that he would launch it like that. He got down where he wanted it to be and tossed a bow line to me on the dock. Then he unhooked the hitch and the boat and trailer were adrift and he tied the boat to the dock, trailer still under his boat.

He then drove up to the parking lot and parked his car. When he got back I asked him what he was going to do then and he invited me to get in the boat.

He started the engine and began driving up lake along the private cabins. After about 3 or 4 cabins he turned towards shore and pulled boat up to the dock. then walked up the dock. Along side the dock was a launch ramp that emerged out of the water and extended towards shore. He unhooked a cable that was connected to the dock snapped it onto the bow eyelet on the boat. Then he walked up on shore and flipped a switch on a winch and the boat and trailer was pulled up out of the lake. The boat was then released and tied up to the dock for normal use. He sad the boat would get cranked back up on the weekend when they went home or if a storm wave action might damage the boat.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
I was at a launch some years ago and a gentleman started backing his boat in the Lake. I noticed that he still had the hold down straps securing the boat to the trailer and told him such. He said it is no problem and that he would launch it like that. He got down where he wanted it to be and tossed a bow line to me on the dock. Then he unhooked the hitch and the boat and trailer were adrift and he tied the boat to the dock, trailer still under his boat.

He then drove up to the parking lot and parked his car. When he got back I asked him what he was going to do then and he invited me to get in the boat.

He started the engine and began driving up lake along the private cabins. After about 3 or 4 cabins he turned towards shore and pulled boat up to the dock. then walked up the dock. Along side the dock was a launch ramp that emerged out of the water and extended towards shore. He unhooked a cable that was connected to the dock snapped it onto the bow eyelet on the boat. Then he walked up on shore and flipped a switch on a winch and the boat and trailer was pulled up out of the lake. The boat was then released and tied up to the dock for normal use. He sad the boat would get cranked back up on the weekend when they went home or if a storm wave action might damage the boat.
You'd think if you could afford a second home on the lake you could afford a second trailer...or boat.

Chic Worthing

WFF Supporter
I did not explain that this very well. This was just his process in the spring to get the boat in the water for the summer. He reversed it in the fall when he took it home. And what I found enterprising was the use of the trailer to get the boat out the water in a storm. He did not need a second boat or trailer. He basically created a boat lift before they existed.

Last edited:

wakingflies

There was a guide who fished regularly on the Sauk and Skagit his whole career with a 2wd truck. I never saw him stuck or even complain about the snow.

vader

After driving several hours and getting to the launch only to find out the launch was not up to par. I got a snack and dreamed of a 4 x 4 so I could launch, jumped back into 2w to drive home. Did this a couple of times and finally traded truck in for 4 x 4. Not to mention 2w was water logged on the inside after launching at Monroe ramp on the Sky. At the end of the day it was raining and trying to get boat out, the ramp was to slick to get boat out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts