NFR Just finished watching the documentary film “Free Solo” . Anyone else see this?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Oh my goodness! I’m exhausted. This film won the Oscar for Best Documentary and i can see why. It’s about a professional climber, Alex Honnold - the first person to climb El Capitan in Yosemite without ropes. The filming of this is incredible and puts you right with him so much so that i was holding my breath often and watched with my hands covering my face much of the time because I was so scared for him, even though i knew he made it. At times the film crew couldn’t even watch as their cameras recorded.

Has anyone else seen this? (It’s available On Demand for free.) I found it totally captivating. I think I am fascinated by these kind of stories where people do what others cannot because i am so afraid of many things. I live vicariously through these people and wonder what makes people want to do such things. I love to read books about mountain climbers, firefighters who gave their lives fighting huge fires. I read a couple of books about the soccer team who crashed into the Andes Mountains.

I found Alex to be so interesting, he’s definitely a different kind of person. In fact there is a part in the movie where he is given an MRI and it shows a part of his brain that doesn’t respond to fear like other people do. I liked Alex and yet i would never want him for a friend, a son or a husband. Alex might be on the Asperger spectrum too. He would be a difficult man to live with. His girlfriend seems to understand that he needs to do this even as she may know she is in for some heartbreak if she stays with him.

Anyway, I thought it was great and if anyone has seen it i wonder what you thought.

Mark Moore

Just a Member
Saw it in the theater when it was first released. I’ve followed Alex Honnold since he came on the scene. Truly an amazing young man.
I believe this climb is the single greatest athletic achievement of our generation. Unlike something like the 4 minute mile, free soloing El Cap will never become normal or unexceptional.
The fact that he is so humble and unassuming is just icing on the cake.
If you enjoyed this particular movie, you should check out “Meru” which, in my opinion, is actually a better movie by the same filmmaker, Jimmy Chin.

jersey

livin' the dream
Good flick for sure. That cat is something else.... he has an ability to simply shut down portions of his brain.

An amazing feat that simply surpasses “standard” athletics. He stands alone.

Check out Alex’s TEDtalks JoJo, you’ll prolly like it :) I try to watch them cuz most intelligent folks do so I do too, I feel smart, I don’t know if I am tho :)

Shad

I've seen it. Pretty intense, to say the least, and extremely impressive.

Free climbing is something I could never do, and that makes it fascinating. Unlike Honnold, I can't shut off fear. I can overcome it to some extent, but nowhere near what would be required to defy death like he does. Of course, if he's like most (maybe all?) free climbers, his passion will do him in eventually. That's another reason I couldn't do that stuff. My life isn't all wine and roses, but I've still got too much to live for to attempt cheating death on purpose. Just goes to show how it takes a special kind of person to try stuff like this, I suppose.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I saw that Jimmy Chin had made another movie. Thanks for recommending this, i just watched that clip. I can see that while it’s not on Netflix i can rent it from Amazon Prime. I really liked the filmmaker of Free Solo so i am interested is seeing what else he has done. I’ll check out the Dawn Wall too. Thanks y’all!

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Alex has been on my watch list for years.

Only man on a planet of billions to execute this climb.
I hope he doesn’t do it again. I hope since he has accomplished this he only climbs with ropes and i really hope no one else attempts to do what he did.

I did have what might be a dumb question. How does he get down? I’m assuming Jimmy Chin the filmmaker who was there when Alex got there had the equipment for him???

Krusty

I've watched both documentaries. Absolutely terrifying. As a young mountaineer I did some stuff that blasted my adrenaline load off the chart, and it was absolutely child's play compared to these astoundingly difficult feats.

I can personally attest that the total focus one achieves during a crux move (even roped, with solid protection) is seldom attained during normal day-to-day life. And when you're repeatedly 'flooded' with slowly increasing exposure to things that are intrinsically frightening (as these climbers are from a very young age) your comfort zone expands. It's the same technique used to eventually habituate those who suffer from pathological and irrational fear of any number of triggering situations.

Personally, I think it's a combination of slowly acquiring a need for increasingly larger doses of adrenaline to achieve the same response (tolerance), and a completely normal desire to achieve eminence in the cultural tribe they belong to...mountaineering....which is (despite its frequent claims to be otherwise) extremely competitive.

Last edited:

Krusty

I hope he doesn’t do it again. I hope since he has accomplished this he only climbs with ropes and i really hope no one else attempts to do what he did.

I did have what might be a dumb question. How does he get down? I’m assuming Jimmy Chin the filmmaker who was there when Alex got there had the equipment for him???
Chin is also a world class extreme climber. Watch Meru.

Once summiting out Honnold was able to simply walk down the backside 'dog route' to the summit, accompanied by family and friends. Big wall climbers are often supported by others who 'yoyo' supplies to them from the top.

There are, however, plenty of climbs for which there's no easy way down....and successful extreme ascents are frequently followed by tragedy due to exhaustion, carelessness, nightfall, and weather (big mountains 'make' their own weather).

Last edited:

There is a hiking trail that goes up to the top of the mtn. You yourself can hike up there and enjoy the view....

Latest posts