NFR Just finished watching the documentary film “Free Solo” . Anyone else see this?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Thanks @jwg! That’s a really good article.

I did mean to mention before that the part in the film when Alex Honnold is answering those questions he pauses at “are you depressed”. I think that pause would cause me considerable worry and anxiety if he were my son. I really do think that like his father, he is on the spectrum for Aspbergers. I can’t help but feel like Alex will not be alive to see his 40th birthday. I hope i’m Wrong. I really liked him in spite of his somewhat slight flat affect.

I really like Jimmy Chin and Reynan in Meru. And i felt bad for Reynan’s girlfriend (or wife). I’m not sure how i feel about Conrad though. I feel like maybe Reynan would have been more careful about his decision to continue on the ascent if he were not climbing with Conrad. Probably not fair but he seems to me to be more driven to getting the job done at all costs.

I liked both documentaries a lot. I’m going to watch Valley Uprising next.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Also, did anyone else think it’s weird that the climbers in Meru actually smoke cigarettes? (At least two of them)..... Whaaaattt?

Aside from the adrenaline rush of the climbing footage i just loved Jimmy Chin’s photography. He’s amazing.

Also, did anyone else think it’s weird that the climbers in Meru actually smoke cigarettes? (At least two of them)..... Whaaaattt?

Aside from the adrenaline rush of the climbing footage i just loved Jimmy Chin’s photography. He’s amazing.

At first I thought the same thing... But then I got the feeling that perhaps smoking ciggs was a little bit of them realizing that there is a good chance for anyone heavy into doing that sort of thing to not live to see an old age so they may as well just enjoy life as they see fit while they can.

Thanks @jwg! That’s a really good article.

I did mean to mention before that the part in the film when Alex Honnold is answering those questions he pauses at “are you depressed”. I think that pause would cause me considerable worry and anxiety if he were my son. I really do think that like his father, he is on the spectrum for Aspbergers. I can’t help but feel like Alex will not be alive to see his 40th birthday. I hope i’m Wrong. I really liked him in spite of his somewhat slight flat affect.

I really like Jimmy Chin and Reynan in Meru. And i felt bad for Reynan’s girlfriend (or wife). I’m not sure how i feel about Conrad though. I feel like maybe Reynan would have been more careful about his decision to continue on the ascent if he were not climbing with Conrad. Probably not fair but he seems to me to be more driven to getting the job done at all costs.

I liked both documentaries a lot. I’m going to watch Valley Uprising next.
Jojo-not trying to hijack, but to add to your point, have you watched anything with Jeb Corliss, the guy who flies in the wingsuits? He talks about his reasons, "issues" as well, I think there is a lot of escapism going on (I am no psychologist).

These guys are nuts, and I am jealous, some.

Last edited:
Even though I quit smoking it wasn't because I didnt enioy it. If I was a climber and involved in that culture where so many of them don't make it to old age, I would definitely join them in a smoke.

One of my favorite ciggs ever was upon landing a nice beach coho. Take care of the fish, mark it on the card if kept, then light a victory smoke. So great. I can only guess that a smoke hanging on the side of a mountain that no human has ever climbed has to be pretty damn enjoyable.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Oh. My. ...Don’t have to be anywhere today so i put on Valley Uprising on Netflix. That film is as harrowing to watch as Free Solo. (Oh my lord the Dean Potter guy slack lining or high lining whatever it’s called...yikes.) I remember hearing about the news when he died though i didn’t know who he was.

And now i realize that i was sadly mistaken to think that since Alex Honnold free soloed El Capitan that no one else would try it. They are all trying to outdo each other.

Also i shouldn’t have been surprised that climbers smoke, since in this film they are actually drinking and taking LSD, in addition to smoking as they climb!

I really liked this documentary too. Interesting the juxtapositioning of the counter culture of the climbers with the rest of suburban American tourists who visit Yosemite. I couldn’t help but root for the anti establishment climbers in their evading the rangers.

I was glad to see how the climbers and the rangers work together now to take better care of Yosemite.

I would never want to travel in these circles of climbers nor would i even care to know any of them. (I imagine that all they mostly talk about is climbing which after awhile would get pretty boring to me.) But i can’t help but be in awe of what they do and intrigued by their sheer athleticism and fitness and strength. Also almost all of them are pretty damn cute! Plus those six pack abs! (That’s where the jealously comes in! I would love to be that fit, just don’t want to work that hard.)

@Gyrfalcon2015 i watched that clip of the wingsuit guy. Whew.

Last edited:
@Gyrfalcon2015 i watched that clip of the wingsuit guy. Whew.
Here is what that opening scene of him clipping the rocks cost him-

Corliss broke both ankles, three toes, and a fibula, tore his left Anterior cruciate ligament, and sustained a gash in his skin that required skin grafts to close. He struck his legs approximately halfway between the hip and knee on a rock ledge he was attempting to skim over while aiming at a target balloon. The impact caused him to tumble forward one revolution before he regained some control, cleared some additional ledges and then deployed his parachute.

Ouch

To your point on the partying climbers, Cirque du Soliel and Bolshoi Ballet performers are known to be a hard drinking and smoking bunch as well, much of that is from their Eastern Block upbringing, but you'd think they would go all in on heathy lifestyle.

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I just looked Corliss up to see if he was still alive! I was surprised that Jim Bridwell died from Hepatis from a tattoo!?....and no surprise after watching Valley Uprising that Warren Harding died from liver failure, considering his love of cheap wine and all that he did to his body even as he was climbing. I also read where quite a few climbers took their own lives, but i forget the names.

NukeLDO

If you can find any of the 2018 Banff Film Festival award winners, they're all worth a look. There's a young female climber, Margo Hayes, making waves and a short film about her and her accomplishments...really something else! And check out Beaver Believers....a film about the good beavers do for the environment and our watersheds....made by a local film artist in Walla Walla, Sarah Koenigsberg, a graduate of Whitman College.

Here's a list of the winners if you want to poke around the internet and see what you can find to view them:

https://www.banffcentre.ca/2018-19-world-tour-films

Last edited:

chrome/22

For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
I watched the free NATGO presentation up to the point where he was practicing the Boulder problem & was debating the crux move of a double dyno over a karate kick to advance. He stated the jump made more sense as you were going for a solid ledge, but if you miss, "well that's that".

Nope, click.

Sorry, but that was enough for me.

I debating going to the theater to watch this, but resisted as I knew it was going to be next level intense & I'd likely have to walk out. Don't get me wrong I'm very happy he survived the climb & his skillset mindset is unbelievably unique. But too me his ideal of risk/reward is wrapped up to an unacceptable level.

Hopefully this was his one big risky goal that he just had to scratch & now that its checked off his list, he can thottle back.

I do enjoy following him & his efforts to make the world a better place. His heart is definitely in the right place, I just want him to stay in one piece.

c/22

Latest posts