(SFR) It's Sunday morning . . .

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
and you just bought your first beer of the day and are now drinking it. Drinking beer while sitting on the steps of the State Supreme Court and Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Louisiana. And this is considered perfectly normal, as there are plenty of police around, NOPD, Orleans Parish Sheriff's Dept., and LA State Patrol. Naturally you're in New Orleans listening to a band playing on a sidewalk stage across from the courthouse during the French Quarter Fest. There are more than 20 venues in the French Quarter during this three-and-a-half day music festival with the best bands I've mostly never heard of. Some of the venues are large stages, like the kind where you expect they'll ". . . blow a 50 amp fuse," and some as small as a few street buskers playing on a street corner that are quite intimate. The NOLA music scene is just that good. I guess New Orleans has a music festival going on somewhere nearly every month of the year.

I've seen so many posters and tee shirts proclaiming that, "You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning." Which isn't normally my thing, but in New Orleans, at least in the French Quarter, it seems like you're pretty much expected to be carrying a drink in your hand while strolling up and down the streets. Fortunately there're very few commode hugging drunks stumbling around. But you need to be situationally aware. It's not all beer and booze; there are a ton of restaurants, from really high end - must wear a sport coat or better - to diners that would fit in most anywhere. Mrs. Salmo thinks that with more strategic planning, we won't get stuck having to settle for a diner on the next trip. So we ate traditional NOLA fare, Italian, and an off the beaten path steakhouse that is becoming almost too well known.

I titled this thread as SFR - sorta' fishing related, because it is. We had a whole week, and French Quarter Fest was only three days of it. Shortly before our trip, one of our WFF members, Joe Parke, posted a trip report that he had been to NOLA just a couple weekends ahead of us. He found a local guide who picks you up at your hotel and takes you fishing in the salt marshes in kayaks for redfish about 45 minutes south of town. I mentioned this to Mrs. Salmo and then took a chance and contacted Capt. Patrick May to see if, despite the time being almost upon us, he had a schedule opening either the following Monday or Tuesday. Turns out he was available both of those days, and the weather forecast indicated Monday as the better, with less wind for fly fishing. We had never fished for redfish previously, so this looked to to be an adventure. It was. We both caught our first ever redfish.

Resized952019041595182335 - Copy (2).jpg

Now we kinda' look forward to attending another French Quarter Festival for reasons in addition to the music.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
and you just bought your first beer of the day and are now drinking it. Drinking beer while sitting on the steps of the State Supreme Court and Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Louisiana. And this is considered perfectly normal, as there are plenty of police around, NOPD, Orleans Parish Sheriff's Dept., and LA State Patrol. Naturally you're in New Orleans listening to a band playing on a sidewalk stage across from the courthouse during the French Quarter Fest. There are more than 20 venues in the French Quarter during this three-and-a-half day music festival with the best bands I've mostly never heard of. Some of the venues are large stages, like the kind where you expect they'll ". . . blow a 50 amp fuse," and some as small as a few street buskers playing on a street corner that are quite intimate. The NOLA music scene is just that good. I guess New Orleans has a music festival going on somewhere nearly every month of the year.

I've seen so many posters and tee shirts proclaiming that, "You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning." Which isn't normally my thing, but in New Orleans, at least in the French Quarter, it seems like you're pretty much expected to be carrying a drink in your hand while strolling up and down the streets. Fortunately there're very few commode hugging drunks stumbling around. But you need to be situationally aware. It's not all beer and booze; there are a ton of restaurants, from really high end - must wear a sport coat or better - to diners that would fit in most anywhere. Mrs. Salmo thinks that with more strategic planning, we won't get stuck having to settle for a diner on the next trip. So we ate traditional NOLA fare, Italian, and an off the beaten path steakhouse that is becoming almost too well known.

I titled this thread as SFR - sorta' fishing related, because it is. We had a whole week, and French Quarter Fest was only three days of it. Shortly before our trip, one of our WFF members, Joe Parke, posted a trip report that he had been to NOLA just a couple weekends ahead of us. He found a local guide who picks you up at your hotel and takes you fishing in the salt marshes in kayaks for redfish about 45 minutes south of town. I mentioned this to Mrs. Salmo and then took a chance and contacted Capt. Patrick May to see if, despite the time being almost upon us, he had a schedule opening either the following Monday or Tuesday. Turns out he was available both of those days, and the weather forecast indicated Monday as the better, with less wind for fly fishing. We had never fished for redfish previously, so this looked to to be an adventure. It was. We both caught our first ever redfish.

View attachment 200105

Now we kinda' look forward to attending another French Quarter Festival for reasons in addition to the music.

Did you check out the music on Frenchman Street @Salmo_g ? That was my favorite place to hang out last April when we were there. More original music and less drunken bachelorette parties.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Did you check out the music on Frenchman Street @Salmo_g ? That was my favorite place to hang out last April when we were there. More original music and less drunken bachelorette parties.

Not during the FQ Fest, but Wednesday we went back to the quarter and Frenchman Street. Snug Harbor wasn't open - to early in the day, and we went there last trip. But there was a good group playing across the street in The Spotted Cat Music Club, which was too packed to get into on our last trip, but we got in this time and had a good listen. Frenchman Street is an amazing place, one club after another up and down the block or so. So many outstanding musicians. Of course I can be pretty easy to impress since I can barely play my stereo.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
Yes! I loved the Spotted Cat the best. We went in the afternoon one day and i still think about that guy we heard Sal Geloso, who i think is one of those kind of musicians who is unique and maybe even likely homeless or a couch surfer. I just loved the authenticity of the music on Frenchman Street more than Bourbon Street (which i kind of hate actually). We also went to the Louisiana Music Factory in Frenchman St area and saw a free concert by an artist Andrew Duhon who is from New Orleans and whose music i knew well.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Great report, SG & nice fish! I worked construction down that way many years ago & made it to the Quarter a couple times. I did enjoy all of the roadside BBQ places and Crawfish/Gulf Shrimp boils, however. Didn't make it out into the salt but fished a lot of local bayous with my Cajun partner.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts