Ever get a little rusty after time off?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Well this would be no surprise. But for years and years i tied my fly on with a perfection loop knot. (Gary the owner from Morning Hatch taught me but i swear he called it a swirl knot.) I could tie it on really quickly too.

But you know how your fingers sometimes punch in the code of your Sonitrol password at work ....or the code to open your iPad... Or the code on your garage door.... BUT if someone were to actually ask you what the code was you might hesitate and really have to think about it. Your fingers know but your brain didn’t catch up with what your fingers knew.

That happened to me a couple of years ago when i went to tie on my fly. I had never really had to think about it before...UNTIL i did.

Two years ago i get on the river and realize i cannot for the life of remember how to tie it on. My fingers forgot and my brain couldn’t remember either. I actually had to find a YouTube to remind myself.

I’m sure if i fished more than one trip a year it would not be a problem but when after you turn 60, these things worry you.

Good report and photos swimmy, funny timing, I fish a spey 99% of the time for my local saltwater trout and steelhead and today broke out the 6 wt single hander. It was a shit show, realized I have fly fished every week or 2 for the last 8 months and haven't cast an actual single hand fly rod in that time. Dropping my back cast, tailing loops, barely able to shoot line, smacking flies on rocks, snagging trees and oysters and my other rod on the beach behind me. Fucking mess

creekx

spent spinner
Nice brown! We floated up high Friday and Saturday. Windy AF on Friday. The upper was blue skies on Saturday too - could see that nasty weather downstream though. The new Clack Eddy is no longer virgin, but had to work the oars hard at 1800cfs with a 20mph tail wind. So not rusty, but maybe out of shape. Certainly feeling it in my arms, shoulders, and lower back.

Oh, and the fishing was decent, too!

01fbe83e3f5557cdcce2d1a10ff651e472c63f03d3.jpg

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Yeah me neither.

Got the boat out for the first drift of the year. While runoff is still a month or so away, river is running high. Day started off with perfect spring weather.

By late afternoon we had winds out of the north, rain, and some pretty crazy lightening.

Fishing was decent on rubber legs and worms.

My fish of the day taken on the wire worm.

Sick.
This is an old photo??? No Buff, Blue shirt mmmmmm??:D

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Nice brown! We floated up high Friday and Saturday. Windy AF on Friday. The upper was blue skies on Saturday too - could see that nasty weather downstream though. The new Clack Eddy is no longer virgin, but had to work the oars hard at 1800cfs with a 20mph tail wind. So not rusty, but maybe out of shape. Certainly feeling it in my arms, shoulders, and lower back.

Oh, and the fishing was decent, too!

View attachment 200326
I see a bobber I hope you guys went to confession on Sunday.

mcoomer

You should contact Clacka about those first two pics. Those are straight brochure material...really nice shots. What post processing are you doing?

As far as rust...physcially, I'm fit so I don't have problems in that regard. I do struggle with my casting stroke sometimes at the start of the season, and I may get hit by a fly on the way forward during a crappy cast. Nobody's ever see it though so it didn't happen. I always tell myself I should do some lawn casting but rational brain (ie lazy side of my brain) says it's not worthwhile because there's no water to properly load the line on the pickup.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Something has adjusted my attitude...I realized winter often is wet and cold and can be windy...My attitude started changing about 20 years ago... weird huh? This is my rusty excuse.

Taking a job that requires lots of time in the home office has had a drastic noticeable effect on my casting. Being a guy who has had some success in casting competitions, I was used to having the ability to put the fly on a dime anywhere within 60 feet. After not fishing or practicing casting as much for a year, I really struggled on my trip to New Orleans in late February. I still put fish in the boat, but probably about 1/2 of what I would have during the years that I competed frequently. I plan on practicing my casting at least once a week from now on. Gotta do the work to be more effective on the water.

Latest posts