Trip Report Nawlins

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
I done caught plenty o’ dem reds and also specks in dat Marsh when I was studyin’ at LS and U. All my fesh been on dem shrimp, didn’t do dat flyfishin’ back den. Dat red make a fine courtbullion, if’n you know how to cook it.

Your post took me back to my seven years of fishing south Louisiana with a guy named Daigle, a good man and funny as hell Cajun and my former father-in-law. Felix Oyster Bar and Maspero’s exchange were our creole eating spots, Elmwood Plantation, the Ponchitrain (sp?) Hotel and Commander’s for more upscale chow. Lots of fun times.

Joepa

Joe from PA
Thanks for the report Salmo_g. Today I spoke with Captain Pat about boondoggling a kayak redfish trip for the end of October when I'm going to be in town for a conference. This has also been on my bucket list and on the "potential retirement spots" fishing tour. Seems like a nice guy.

Salmo_g

Thanks for the report Salmo_g. Today I spoke with Captain Pat about boondoggling a kayak redfish trip for the end of October when I'm going to be in town for a conference. This has also been on my bucket list and on the "potential retirement spots" fishing tour. Seems like a nice guy.
The weather should be tolerable then, and if Pat says the fishing is good then, I'd go with him. It's well worth knowing about.

@Salmo_g I was curious how you liked the pedal drive kayaks? Did you find it a pain taking it out when in shallow water and then putting it back in when you were in deeper water. I know for some pedal drive kayaks you can pull the prop out without having to take the unit out and in some instances, you can change the depth. On the Hobies, you can position the fins out of the way in the up position (fins are flat against hull).

Salmo_g

Bruce, these were Hobies, no propeller, so we just pulled the fins up against the hull in shallow areas. Capt'n. Pat did the pedal install and removal, but it looks simple enough that I'd be comfortable doing it myself. Pedal drive kayaks are pretty cool and really can move through the water. You can double up and pedal and paddle at the same time if you want to really fly.

Latest posts