Trip Report Nawlins

Upton O

Blind hog fisherman
I done caught plenty o’ dem reds and also specks in dat Marsh when I was studyin’ at LS and U. All my fesh been on dem shrimp, didn’t do dat flyfishin’ back den. Dat red make a fine courtbullion, if’n you know how to cook it.

Your post took me back to my seven years of fishing south Louisiana with a guy named Daigle, a good man and funny as hell Cajun and my former father-in-law. Felix Oyster Bar and Maspero’s exchange were our creole eating spots, Elmwood Plantation, the Ponchitrain (sp?) Hotel and Commander’s for more upscale chow. Lots of fun times.

Joepa

Joe from PA
Thanks for the report Salmo_g. Today I spoke with Captain Pat about boondoggling a kayak redfish trip for the end of October when I'm going to be in town for a conference. This has also been on my bucket list and on the "potential retirement spots" fishing tour. Seems like a nice guy.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Thanks for the report Salmo_g. Today I spoke with Captain Pat about boondoggling a kayak redfish trip for the end of October when I'm going to be in town for a conference. This has also been on my bucket list and on the "potential retirement spots" fishing tour. Seems like a nice guy.
The weather should be tolerable then, and if Pat says the fishing is good then, I'd go with him. It's well worth knowing about.

Bruce Baker

@Salmo_g I was curious how you liked the pedal drive kayaks? Did you find it a pain taking it out when in shallow water and then putting it back in when you were in deeper water. I know for some pedal drive kayaks you can pull the prop out without having to take the unit out and in some instances, you can change the depth. On the Hobies, you can position the fins out of the way in the up position (fins are flat against hull).

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Bruce, these were Hobies, no propeller, so we just pulled the fins up against the hull in shallow areas. Capt'n. Pat did the pedal install and removal, but it looks simple enough that I'd be comfortable doing it myself. Pedal drive kayaks are pretty cool and really can move through the water. You can double up and pedal and paddle at the same time if you want to really fly.

Prickly Claire

When I hooked into my first big NOLA Redfish my cajun guide warned me it was going to run hard and pull line off the reel onto the backing. Just to mess with the guide, I fought the fish hard (tarpon style) to keep it from earning the reel. Every time it turned to run I laid the leader down its back and clamped down on the line with my fingers enduring the pain in silence. Despite my line burns, it never earned the reel and my guide was shocked. After boating the fish he inspected it for signs of disease or wounds that would explain its lackluster fight. I was chuckling to myself the rest of the day while he thought up reasons why the Reds were sluggish that day.
Honestly, I've never had a redfish sniff my backing, and I've caught them in the 30 lb range on a 7wt. They're about the dig not the lean.

Mark Moore

Just a Member
WFF Supporter
Great report @Salmo_g, Redfish on the flats are my favorite target, I’ve never fished for them in a marsh though. It really gets your pulse quickening when you poke up on a pod of nice fish knowing you’re going to hook up.

Bentley

Honestly, I've never had a redfish sniff my backing, and I've caught them in the 30 lb range on a 7wt. They're about the dig not the lean.
An honest 30# red that decides to run can not be held back on 10 lb. test line on gear: spinning or bait casting reel. If the water is deep, you may be able to stop the first run in 100 ft. If your in a shallow duck pond that is wider than a canal, no way. With a 7 wt. fly rod, even a 20 lb. tippet, will risk snapping it if keeping the 100 ft. Fly line is the goal. Yes, the 5 lb. reds and maybe even some 10lb. guys can be kept inside 100 ft. If your not casting too far and running room is limited. Just my feedback on fishing reds in south LA. when moving there from Washington back in 1982.

Prickly Claire

An honest 30# red that decides to run can not be held back on 10 lb. test line on gear: spinning or bait casting reel. If the water is deep, you may be able to stop the first run in 100 ft. If your in a shallow duck pond that is wider than a canal, no way. With a 7 wt. fly rod, even a 20 lb. tippet, will risk snapping it if keeping the 100 ft. Fly line is the goal. Yes, the 5 lb. reds and maybe even some 10lb. guys can be kept inside 100 ft. If your not casting too far and running room is limited. Just my feedback on fishing reds in south LA. when moving there from Washington back in 1982.
We're talking fish 42-45" on ocean side grass flats, wading. Most of my presentations are inside of 30 feet and because I am wading, I simply follow on foot as they take off. Hard, low pressure with the rod tip in the water, and I'm typically throwing short strips of level 25# fluoro. That system can take a ton of heat without giving way. They've got a lot of ass, but they're short on legs. Catching shallow water bulls in Louisiana appears to primarily be a winter game, with water temps in the 60s and plenty of dissolved O₂. I typically encounter these very large fish in late summer when the water temps are in the upper 80s or low 90s and the fish don't have near as much get up and go.

Last edited:

Bentley

For those that may be reading this thread on Redfish, my partner and I fish 8wt. single hand fly rods all year long in the New Orleans and Venice LA area. Very true that most sight fishing is close in. However, other than some few areas like Grand Isle, there is essentially no wading that Is safe In the delta. It’s “Apocalypse Now” advice (Never get out of the boat). All deep Mississippi mud that really can suck you down. Also, gators & rays are everywhere. FYI, it Is not like, Florida. There, everything that bites & stings makes the news. Regarding tippet, I simply worry about breaking my SH fly rod even if I wanted to straight line to the reel. We typically reserve 15# test for our 7 & 8wt. Spey rods for the Olympic Peninsula Coho & Chinook and even with that tippet strength I watch the bend in my rod. In any case, my thoughts.

Prickly Claire

I target reds in the SC Low Country where hard bottom flats are quite common. Never felt in danger of breaking a rod on one in shallow. Over deep water where you've gotta do some lifting, it's a little touchy with 7s and 8s.

Bentley

I target reds in the SC Low Country where hard bottom flats are quite common. Never felt in danger of breaking a rod on one in shallow. Over deep water where you've gotta do some lifting, it's a little touchy with 7s and 8s.
Understand your strategy in the “low country“ flats. Fished Hilton Head on a few guided trips polling for reds. Awesome to see how the tide floods the grass and then continue to sight fish as it falls. We get very little tide.

Prickly Claire

Understand your strategy in the “low country“ flats. Fished Hilton Head on a few guided trips polling for reds. Awesome to see how the tide floods the grass and then continue to sight fish as it falls. We get very little tide.
Due to the vagaries of geography, the SC coast is significantly less of a haul than the coast of my home state, so it's where I target them most frequently. NC by and large lacks the hard bottom flats in the marsh, but does offer, due to water clarity, excellent opportunities for sight fishing in the surf. Here, an 8wt can feel decidedly undergunned even against your typical 8-10# overslots, partially because longer (50-60') casts are the norm rather than the exception, but mostly because the currents pouring over the shoals at the inlet mouths (typically the best place to target surf reds) make them much tougher to handle (and, you gotta keep 'em away from the giant ass sharks that patrol the outside edges of the shoals). In these situations, I actually prefer 9 or even 10wt rods.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts