Allen Kraken 'free-spinning' retrieve?

Hey all,

I bought an Allen Kraken a couple years ago and really haven't used it much. Just recently I pulled it out and started messing around with it. I noticed that the retrieve seems to spin *very* easily. Even when doing a practice casting motion it spins almost as if it's free spooling:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/C6ybBmDPeD7EstyM6

I have a Lamson Konic II that definitely doesn't do this. I'm new to the sport so not sure if this is 'normal' an expected or if it's definitely out of the ordinary. Have any of you encountered anything like this on other reels or does it seem perfectly normal to you?

I had the reel sent in to be inspected by Allen, because initially the guy I spoke with said something sounded wrong and that a bearing would probably need to be replaced. I just got the reel back in the exact same condition and they didn't do anything to it - a different guy responded and said the reel is perfectly fine and there probably wouldn't be as much of that 'free spin' if I were in a standard environment with the line out and if I were actually casting:

Upon inspection of the reel, we determined it was actually in perfect condition, bearing included. The line pick-up that you are experiencing could be a result of your casting style, rather than a defect with the reel. The video shows all of the line loaded onto the reel, with no line running up the guides and no line pulled off to your feet to represent a true casting environment. If you activate your wrist during your cast, you may experience more line pick-up than normal, but this is just a result of your wrist action, and will only result in a few inches of line being picked up during each false cast.
Guess I'll just have to go out and try it out.

Anil

This is normal for this reel and several others. Some people love how easily reels like this "spin" in retrieve and even utilize this feature (by spinning the spool several times by hand) to pick up slack line after hooking a fish.

Others complain, that these reels have a tendency as noted in your first video, to pick up a foot or two of line each time the rod and reel are stopped aggressively (like a normal cast).

Like a lot of these things, this one comes down to personal preference.

Thanks guys - guess it'll just take some getting used to! I never realized (or used the reel enough to realize at least) that this was happening. Shouldn't be a big deal though I think

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I have an Adventure reel that did just that. But I fished the reel in the freezing fog on the Yakima one time. It froze and it fucked up the drag. I sent it to Loomis and they repaired, no questions asked. It also happened on a cheap Okuma reel. That one I just shit canned.

Jake Watrous

(not really a sea otter)
Correct me if I’m wrong, but when casting don’t you pinch the free line with your non-rod hand; and when you cast follow your rod hand with that hand? Are you only holding the rod with one hand and having the other hand do nothing?

I hold my rod with one hand and control my line with the other, even when casting, because it means I can strip out line, shoot line in a controlled manner, keep a constant connection to my line in case of a strike, and quickly pass my line to my rod finger. Seems like that would prevent extra line being stripped off the reel.

Photo from Troutbitten via Google Image search:
1556115836313.jpg

mtskibum16

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when casting don’t you pinch the free line with your non-rod hand; and when you cast follow your rod hand with that hand? Are you only holding the rod with one hand and having the other hand do nothing?

I hold my rod with one hand and control my line with the other, even when casting, because it means I can strip out line, shoot line in a controlled manner, keep a constant connection to my line in case of a strike, and quickly pass my line to my rod finger. Seems like that would prevent extra line being stripped off the reel.

Photo from Troutbitten via Google Image search:
View attachment 200535
I have a couple reels that are fairly free spinning. While using a stripping basket they will wind a bit of line up on to the reel with each cast (free line sitting in the basket). After a handfull of casts I have to strip a few feet back out to make up for it. I've learned these reels are really not my preference. Every now and then I employ the slap the spool method to pick up line quickly, but for the fish I normally target I generally land them by handling the line unless they earn the reel.

BTW for the OP: I have a Kraken and mine is like this too. It's been a great reel overall for a number of years.

Latest posts