Trip Report Update from Kauai.

Mems

Go get em, I ma headed offshore tomorrow and sunday, Mems.
Hey I think Swimmy is on the Garden Isle right now as well.

Kfish

How do you like those boots and do you get sand inside them?

I wore my old low ankle NRS water shoes in Maui a month ago and got a lot of sand and corals inside.
It was annoying and painful too.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
which BAG did you get again?

btw, great report thus far. Those goat fish pull HARD, don't they? What flies are you finding most productive? When I was there, it was a teal/white clouser in general and all black clouser around the rocks.

Johnathon Quarrell

Just returned from my trip and wanted to post an update. Made it out on the charter boat and unfortunately I found out how it feels to be sea sick for the first time. 6 hr trip was 5 hrs of being sick. Luckily my family on the boat managed some fish as well as a thresher shark which was insanely cool looking. One wahoo and some amber jacks which were all quite tasty. Monday I whooped my father in-law at the golf course and then did a little surfing. I managed to cut my foot pretty bad surfing at Poipu, realized how painful iodine is immediately after. Made it to Anini Beach on Tuesday and I managed a couple fish there amidst the pouring rain. One big needle fish and a bluefin trevally, which was the one fish I hoped to catch this trip! I was fishing a 10wt BAG rod and it was a blast even on this size of trevally. I hope to find some bigger ones someday on this rod. Only had a couple hrs to fish there but we plan to stay on the north end next trip so I can fish there every morning, such an amazing place.
B331E724-126C-468D-ADD1-1DA89D33EF17.jpeg3EAF6F8A-A3B6-4733-A85B-CD57FAC9A8F8.jpeg2D052A1B-C4C7-4164-980D-594B76F60D37.jpeg57FBA422-F3AF-4F8C-A208-44C3C58DA8B5.jpeg644A0810-8564-4088-AB74-E8C9BC5D1D50.jpeg

Johnathon Quarrell

which BAG did you get again?

btw, great report thus far. Those goat fish pull HARD, don't they? What flies are you finding most productive? When I was there, it was a teal/white clouser in general and all black clouser around the rocks.
I got the 10wt from another forum member. I was fishing a 6 wt from the beach mostly and the goat fish, hawk fish and needles were a blast. Fishing tan over white cloisters primarily.

Johnathon Quarrell

How do you like those boots and do you get sand inside them?

I wore my old low ankle NRS water shoes in Maui a month ago and got a lot of sand and corals inside.
It was annoying and painful too.
These boots are amazing. Second trip in them they are fantastic for Hawaii. I use them while paddle boarding for musky too:).

Johnathon Quarrell

Go get em, I ma headed offshore tomorrow and sunday, Mems.
Hey I think Swimmy is on the Garden Isle right now as well.
I’m fairly certain I was standing on the same beach at Poipu as @Swimmy and didn’t even know it. Offshore was rough for me. Never felt so nauseous in my life. Now I know I guess :). Any sure fire sea sickness remedies???

Mems

Scopalamine pills, not the patch the pills. they only sell them in Canada. So no ahi?

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
The scopalamine patch has worked well for me. Like most seasickness meds, it needs to be applied over an hour before you hit the water to provide time for the drug to be absorbed.
Steve

Johnathon Quarrell

The scopalamine patch has worked well for me. Like most seasickness meds, it needs to be applied over an hour before you hit the water to provide time for the drug to be absorbed.
Steve
Thank you for the reassurance. I will be prepared next time. I haven't spent too much time on boats since I grew up in the southern New Mexico desert. I hope to do far more tropical fishing in my future

Mems

It looks like you guys did some bottom fishing. Did you get to fight any of the kahala, amberjacks? They are fun cause they fight all the way to the surface. The thresher is cool, you just have to watch out for the tail.

Latest posts