Lings

wanderingrichard

There was a good thread either on WFF or NWKA about strategies to get your fly down to depth...let alone keeping a kayak in position long enough to effectively fish. I'm trying some of these out...might have to get a heavier rod. I was also able to find a little eddy in the shoreline that helped with keeping my fly down, but slowly spun me like a top in my kayak. I believe this area would have been a piece of cake to fish with gear as I've got some experience with that.
The challenges of less fish, less accessible beach, less river, less time due to shorter seasons...all add to wanting to learn more about each fishery and adds to the enjoyment of succeeding in landing one. A reason why this forum is so helpful for me.
Lemonade glass half full philosophy.
Mark,
Add a kayak sized drift sock to your gear and use it on your anchor trolley instead of your anchor. Have found the drift sock more useful than the anchor.

NWKA has plenty of How To's on both rigging a trolley if you havent already, a an and use of a drift sock.

JesseC

Managed to limit out for 3 guys over 3 days running out of Sekiu. We were fishing mostly in 30-60' of water, looking for structure that hadn't been pounded out already. 50% gear 50% fly just depending on the vibe.

Like lings do - they bit on pretty much everything we tossed at them. The hot flies were dark green, with a white underbelly, tied generously - about 5-6" long. Make sure to tie in a weed guard. They were biting white, black, purple, and orange plastics. The more important factor seemed to be the ability to get down and manage the boat for an effective drift over structure.

Some fun conditions out there these past few days!

IMG_7103.jpeg

Last edited:

thatguyryry

Managed to limit out for 3 guys over 3 days running out of Sekiu. We were fishing mostly in 30-60' of water, looking for structure that hadn't been pounded out already. 50% gear 50% fly just depending on the vibe.

Like lings do - they bit on pretty much everything we tossed at them. The hot flies were dark green, with a white underbelly, tied generously - about 5-6" long. Make sure to tie in a weed guard. They were biting white, black, purple, and orange plastics. The more important factor seemed to be the ability to get down and manage the boat for an effective drift over structure.

Some fun conditions out there these past few days!

View attachment 280671
That water looks great. I fished the second week when neah bay opened at we had small craft advisories the whole weekend. Not fun fishing but we still got our limits. I didn't even risk breaking the fly rod out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts