Dogfish boats

sportsman

I see Backwater has an interesting clear hull model. I wonder how many they sell at double the cost of the opaque olive and black models.
That would be strange to fish out of. Not only $600 more but also 6lbs heavier. A forum member recently bought one and the way he rigged it is perfect. I think Ron posted some pics on another thread.

kjsteelhead

What motor do you have on your dogfish? Aside from looking for the perfect chair, any other dislikes? What made you go with the dogfish over other prams?
I ordered the Minn Kota that they sell with the boat. Same price as Cabelas or Bass Pro. It's not the prettiest boat in the world, but they are super stable and easy to cast from. I bought it because the guys I know who have them all really liked their boat, and also the Dogfish are locally made.

Nathan Weston

Absolutely love my Dog Fish,
Extremely stable even for us bigger guys. I can stand up and cast with no issues.
On smaller lakes and ponds I ditch the oars and use a stand up paddle board oar.
I love the build in battery box and through hall wiring system. Nothing worse than getting your line wrapped up around a 40 pound battery and leads.
Following the Fishing with Ladin lead I replaced the factory bench seat with a campaign chair.

Brook hunter

Absolutely love my Dog Fish,
Extremely stable even for us bigger guys. I can stand up and cast with no issues.
On smaller lakes and ponds I ditch the oars and use a stand up paddle board oar.
I love the build in battery box and through hall wiring system. Nothing worse than getting your line wrapped up around a 40 pound battery and leads.
Following the Fishing with Ladin lead I replaced the factory bench seat with a campaign chair.

Could you tell me what campaign chair you got? Any dislikes or cons with the dogfish?

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
That would be strange to fish out of. Not only $600 more but also 6lbs heavier. A forum member recently bought one and the way he rigged it is perfect. I think Ron posted some pics on another thread.
Hi all
I now have six days on the water in my Backwater. Very pleased. Happy to answer any questions.

Fishingwithladin

I've had one for about a year now. They are set up really nice for an electric motor or you can just row. It fits great in the back of my Tundra, and is easy to haul in and out. I weigh over 300 lbs and can comfortably stand up and cast. The goofy part is finding a chair that you like. They come with a small bench seat, which is not too comfy after a little while. I've experimented with a couple of different lawn chairs but haven't found the perfect setup yet.
I use a Coleman Chair that is more squarish and it works really well. Comfortable and fits nice. I just dont put up the side thing.

Attachments

• Coleman.jpg
    Coleman.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 12

B.Willis

Hi all
I now have six days on the water in my Backwater. Very pleased. Happy to answer any questions.
How is standing and casting? One of the allures to the Dogfish for me is it looks like it's super stable on the water. Wondering if the Backwater is stable too.

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
I do stand and cast in the Backwater. It is just fine, but not super stable. But I love it for sight casting to trout, or better managing an indicator. Have a rubber floor mat that helps, and a molded seat that I can lean on for added stability. If stability is #1, then I think the Dogfish is better. Also the Dogfish is clearly the winner if you want to fish two; higher load capacity by a lot. The Dogfish was $300 more, is 30 pounds heavier, and is about an inch wider.
My prime concern was being able to launch and transport by myself, and I am a little, not very strong guy. The Backwater has been perfect. Here is a pix in back of GMC Yukon XL. Love the rod rack BTW.
Ron 20190612_111906.jpg

Ron Olsen

WFF Supporter
With your 6 days on the water, have you found any dislikes with your backwater?
Nothing really. Fishes very well, motors right along with a 20# mini trolling motor. Lots of Scotty mounts and easy to attach with bolts. I miss line control from using fins. Slowest it goes with the motor is a bit quicker than I would usually go. MUST really clamp/bolt seat in place. If it slides, boat CAN go over. Land with oars, stern first (learned that the hard way, and broke a Sage XP.....)
Ron

B.Willis

I do stand and cast in the Backwater. It is just fine, but not super stable. But I love it for sight casting to trout, or better managing an indicator. Have a rubber floor mat that helps, and a molded seat that I can lean on for added stability. If stability is #1, then I think the Dogfish is better. Also the Dogfish is clearly the winner if you want to fish two; higher load capacity by a lot. The Dogfish was $300 more, is 30 pounds heavier, and is about an inch wider.
My prime concern was being able to launch and transport by myself, and I am a little, not very strong guy. The Backwater has been perfect. Here is a pix in back of GMC Yukon XL. Love the rod rack BTW.
Ron View attachment 204345

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Leaning towards the Dogfish as I might not always be fishing solo.

Buzzy

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Leaning towards the Dogfish as I might not always be fishing solo.
Not to disparage Dogfish boats but you may want to look carefully if you’re thinking two anglers in one boat. From watching @Fishingwithladin programs the boys are always solo and the boats don’t look like they’re big enough for two. No experience - boobtube observation.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts