Trip Report DIY to the South Bahamas

Bowbonehead

Just back to the snow from my annual trip south with the boys to places where are wives would never go.... Spent the better part of two weeks wandering shorelines, flats and paddleling through the mangroves looking for Bones, Cudas, Tarpon and anything else that would eat a fly. Weather was relatively good rain-wise but we had to deal with a lot of wind and overcast which made sighting fish a challenge. We caught good numbers of Bones and enough of everything else to make it interesting. Hooked up a 6ft Lemon and actually got him to the beach and almost on shore before he decided to head for Cuba along with my fly line..... which I believe broke on a coral head (backing). Just before hooking the lemon shark I caught a blue runner which apparently frequently travel with the sharks. The cool part of the story is another member of our party was fishing the area the next day and hooked my line which was anchored to a coral head... he proceeded to follow the line out hoping said shark was no longer attached and retrieved my line which was still in good shape....Bonus. We had shots at Permit but no one scored and even saw a few Snook but no hook-ups. Here's a few shots of the trip..... not many of fish because for the most part we were on our own usually within sight but not close enough for pics.....

Attachments

Bowbonehead

The reel is an older FW #7 which has seen about a dozen years of use in the salt as my primary bonefish reel usually paired with a 890-5 RPLxi of the same vintage. It requires a good cleaning afterwards and I replaced the rubber O-ring and one-way clutch prior to this trip but I like the lightness of the set-up when walking the flats. I do carry back-up on these trips 8,9, and 10wt TCX's along with matching reels and a couple extra lines on this trip as there is never anything available locally.

Latest posts