NFR New Tool Album

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
That's basically how I feel about them. I dont think they're terrible, and I can recognize the skill the band possesses but to my ear it just doesn't do anything for me.

I've been a metal fan my entire life, and listen to a ton of heavy music. My taste have changed over the years and the last 8 years or so I've gotten into a lot of slower, technical, moody heavy music....which is why I gave this album a couple spins thinking I may appreciate it more, but I just dont.

I know a ton of people that love Radiohead but other than a couple of their popular songs I've never really listened to them. I like the new iTunes subscription cause I can listen to just about anything I want...maybe I'll spend some time with them one of these evenings while tying flies
Radiohead's one of those where it helps to do the non-randomized, full-album experience. In Rainbows is the one I'd recommend to do that with if kind of going in for the first time.

The slower/heavier stuff is definitely one of my favorites. I can relate to that for sure. I separate Tool from that genre entirely, though. The vibe is just completely different for me.

Nick Clayton

Radiohead's one of those where it helps to do the non-randomized, full-album experience. In Rainbows is the one I'd recommend to do that with if kind of going in for the first time.

The slower/heavier stuff is definitely one of my favorites. I can relate to that for sure. I separate Tool from that genre entirely, though. The vibe is just completely different for me.

Ya I tend to listen to all my music album by album. Sure, when driving I'll be in the mood for specific songs, but in general I find I find I get more out of it if I listen to the whole album. It drives me nuts the way my wife listens to music....she NEVER listens to a whole album. Hell, she almost never listens to entire songs lol.

I guess that's my problem with Tool....I cant separate them from all the other slower heavy bands out there. I guess I just dont see what makes them special in that regard. To me they are right there in that same genre, only I dont get "it" with them. They are obviously great musicians I just dont get anything out of their music. A few of their older, heavier songs make me bob my head some, but their slower stuff just doesn't do it for me. I can honestly say I've given them a solid effort, as I'm one who really tries to appreciate good music. Some bands are kinda like really good, really difficult books for me....it requires effort to really get into it and then it hits me like a freight train that I'm listening to a masterpiece. For that reason I've tried and tried with Tool but Ive never been hit like that. Opeth is another band I feel similarly about. Super good musicians and songwriters, slower/heavier/technical stuff....but I just dont dig it, even though they are much more in the "metal" spectrum.

That's ok though. I dont have to like and understand everything. I certainly dont hate them, and really I'd rather listen to Tool than many, many other bands/genres out there...specifically just about everything my wife listens to lol.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Ya I tend to listen to all my music album by album. Sure, when driving I'll be in the mood for specific songs, but in general I find I find I get more out of it if I listen to the whole album. It drives me nuts the way my wife listens to music....she NEVER listens to a whole album. Hell, she almost never listens to entire songs lol.

I guess that's my problem with Tool....I cant separate them from all the other slower heavy bands out there. I guess I just dont see what makes them special in that regard. To me they are right there in that same genre, only I dont get "it" with them. They are obviously great musicians I just dont get anything out of their music. A few of their older, heavier songs make me bob my head some, but their slower stuff just doesn't do it for me. I can honestly say I've given them a solid effort, as I'm one who really tries to appreciate good music. Some bands are kinda like really good, really difficult books for me....it requires effort to really get into it and then it hits me like a freight train that I'm listening to a masterpiece. For that reason I've tried and tried with Tool but Ive never been hit like that. Opeth is another band I feel similarly about. Super good musicians and songwriters, slower/heavier/technical stuff....but I just dont dig it, even though they are much more in the "metal" spectrum.

That's ok though. I dont have to like and understand everything. I certainly dont hate them, and really I'd rather listen to Tool than many, many other bands/genres out there...specifically just about everything my wife listens to lol.
Totally get it. That was me like 15yrs ago with Tool. No idea what happened, but suddenly I couldn't get enough of it.

But on any given day when in the mood, I'm much more likely to put on some Torche, Cave In, Pelican, Russian Circles, and other such things.

Nick Clayton

Totally get it. That was me like 15yrs ago with Tool. No idea what happened, but suddenly I couldn't get enough of it.

But on any given day when in the mood, I'm much more likely to put on some Torche, Cave In, Pelican, Russian Circles, and other such things.

Yeah I've definitely gone through changes as I've aged. Bands that I couldn't stand as a kid are now some of my favs. There could very well come a time when Tool just clicks with me.

Then again, my dislike of some music hasn't so much as blinked over the years. Like the Eagles. God I hate the Eagles! Although to be fair I know where that stems from....when I was a kid working in Alaska there was a stereo piped into the factory on our ship. There was a total of about 5 CDs that got played on rotation, 16 hours a day, and the Eagles were 2 of those cds. Listening to them that often, that long, for months on end drove a hatred into me that I've never let go of lol.

While Tool doesn't do much for me I can certainly listen to them without complaint, or worse yet wanting to rip my ears off.

I listen to all kinds of music. I'd say I'm a metal fan first and foremost but I can appreciate well done music of just about any genre. I really wish I had some musical talent. I'm very envious of those who do.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Then again, my dislike of some music hasn't so much as blinked over the years.
My list of bands in that department is long, and gets so much hate for my opinion... Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine or basically anything that has even a slight hint of any funk influence, Led Zeppelin, and plenty others. I get it.

Nick Clayton

My list of bands in that department is long, and gets so much hate for my opinion... Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys, Rage Against the Machine or basically anything that has even a slight hint of any funk influence, Led Zeppelin, and plenty others. I get it.

RHCP are near the top of my list of bands I flat out cant stand to listen to. Sadly they are one of my son's favorites. God I hate that band so very much. U2 is another on that list for me.

Nick Clayton

I'm really not into the "chick sings pretty then chick screams metal" approach. Just not my cup of tea. Not the worst thing I've ever heard, but if I wanted to listen to something like this I'd just go with Arch Enemy. Better riffs at least. This band seems to be earning a following though. Good for them.

Latest posts