NFR New Tool Album

What always got me was when King Crimson opened for the main event Tool...Well Tool was in awe of KC but it seemed weird to me...
Nothing weirder than going to a tool show with my wife and telling my dad King Crimson was opening and my dad got all jealous. He was 60 at the time.

My brother's band played a pre-show in San Diego for a tool concert. Justin was sitting at the bar and seemed to get into my brother's music, which was a crazy experience. They took us into the tool show after my brother's band was done, even my mom came in to watch. She was floored by the lights and projection. They put on a show that really can't be matched. It's so different from anything else out there.

Salmo_g

I just realized I have no idea what this thread is about. At first I thought we were going to discuss any new tools we've added to our collections. And I noticed that I haven't bought any new tools in a while. However, I sharpened the chain on my chainsaw yesterday, and boy, did I turn some large wood into small wood. Then I got to thinking how much my chainsaw and heavy metal sound so much alike. And the saw doesn't require any amplifiers or speakers, just some saw gas and bar oil, and let it rip!

I just realized I have no idea what this thread is about. At first I thought we were going to discuss any new tools we've added to our collections. And I noticed that I haven't bought any new tools in a while. However, I sharpened the chain on my chainsaw yesterday, and boy, did I turn some large wood into small wood. Then I got to thinking how much my chainsaw and heavy metal sound so much alike. And the saw doesn't require any amplifiers or speakers, just some saw gas and bar oil, and let it rip!
TOOL, just some lads making music...or Aliens, have not decided, personally..
tool2.jpg

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Tool fans here...previous little epic era would be Metallica before that Pink Floyd, Lynyard Skynyrd...depending on whether you drove a pickup truck or not and if you didn't drive and were barefoot...maybe the Greatful Dead
But then I was into Quciksilver not the Dead...not sure which were the Cowboys or the Indians...that was a crazy legendary tale down in the Haight...

Last edited:
Have to add a couple of TOOL highlights, not adding background as to why I was where I was, it is meaningless.

But, of the 100's of 100's of shows I have been to or worked, sometimes a show stands out. I watched the TOOL show at the Gorge in 06 from the stage. Right next to the guitar tech station/stage right front. That was the white stage floor where the workers wear white painter booties to walk on the stage as to not make marks. The whole thing is for the projecting of the videos full stage.

A few things that is odd from an angle like that is how quiet the show is from BEHIND the PA, Also, Maynard may be singing closely, but Adam Jones does not want vocals in his monitor so you just hear bass. Drums bleed through, but no Maynard.
When the stagelights/videos are on during a song, you cannot see the audience at all, but when the song is over the lights hit the crowd and the roar of the previously invisible crowd is unreal. Looking out into a big crowd of 20,000 from that spot is crazy.
Next song, back to no crowd and not terribly loud music from so close. It is an odd twist.

A super neat way to see a show!

The other interesting time was, as @Skip Enge was stating, the King Crimson stuff. TOOL asked King Crimson to open some shows for them-Adam Jones is a huge fan. So they had one show at the Paramount in Seattle with King Crimson opening. Here was the weird one, a previous TOOL show at the Paramount, after the show they keep people that are going backstage in a little group seated and then take the group back to another waiting pen. Maybe 15-20 or so of us. I heard someone behind me ask a guy, "Do people ever say you look like Robert Fripp?" The guy said "No"..

I looked and it was indeed Robert Fripp waiting to go back to talk to Adam.

Meaningless, but fun perspectives

Last edited:
I'm cautiously optimistic. I think Maynard has chilled out in the last decade or so since he just kinda hangs out in AZ and makes wine. But TOOL and A Perfect Circle are things I very much enjoy.

Still think this is one of the coolest things ever done:
Reminds me of this too.. Danny Carey trying to reign it in

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Time is what it is...and
I turned jamma on to green on Red and he shared Porcupine tree with me there are so many other things we seem to share...none of it matters...it is just what you like...none of us will ever agree across a distance of introduction...to anything...you all get that i hope?

Last edited:
Next time we fish, we'll have to discuss all of the many reasons that TooL is the best band in the history of music. Statement of fact - nothing about it is subjective. You probably haven't been exposed to the right songs.

A couple signed posters in my fly tying room.
I look forward to fishing with you again and having this conversation!

Many have tried to convince me how great Tool is but I'll never agree. I can respect them as musicians and song writers but their music just bores me.

Next to fly fishing music has always been my other big love with metal being my main focus.

Maybe they'll actually let you buy digital copies of their albums at some point. My favorite band of all time, but goddamn that's frustrating. Anybody have solutions?

I look forward to fishing with you again and having this conversation!

Many have tried to convince me how great Tool is but I'll never agree. I can respect them as musicians and song writers but their music just bores me.

Next to fly fishing music has always been my other big love with metal being my main focus.
Nothing wrong with that man you like what you like. Metal is good shit too. When it comes to metal I’ll admit I have a pretty narrow focus. I’ve worn out many copies of cowboys from hell in my life

Maybe they'll actually let you buy digital copies of their albums at some point. My favorite band of all time, but goddamn that's frustrating. Anybody have solutions?
I’m guessing they will continue the trend of staying off digital platforms and be a pain in the ass as usual. I’m gonna have to buy something that plays a CD and then actually but a disc how archaic.....

Latest posts