NFR New Tool Album

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have a lot of vinyl records given my economic capability...it's a sort of weird sickness...and old gear..but it makes me happy...

Nick Clayton

There was a time when I tried to start a vinyl collection but ultimately it was too hard to justify the spending.

Since nobody likes my music, and I have a wife and kid, I find myself listening to music on headphones via Ipod or YouTube 99% of the time

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
Thanks Matt. Tool is not metal. Not quite music either, so you can see how I misunderstood. This has me thinking however, that I could put together quite the garage band, literally in my garage, with the sounds of chainsaw, shop vac, table saw, hammer driver, and a nail gun powered by the air compressor. It would really sell, altho the market demographic would be primarily male, middle age and older, who could enjoy their favorite tool and workshop sounds on the home stereo system or on the road with a decent sound system in their fishing rigs.
SG.. lol at defining music..?

Salmo_g

SG.. lol at defining music..?
Not me, but either of my musician daughters, including all those years of music theory and training I paid for. I was told that music consists of rhythm, harmony, and melody. Which is why rap is not music, although in recent years some rap has added melody, so conceivably some rap qualifies. As for Tool, I didn't listen to any complete pieces that were posted, but what I listened to lacked melody, and some lacked both harmony and melody.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
Not me, but either of my musician daughters, including all those years of music theory and training I paid for. I was told that music consists of rhythm, harmony, and melody. Which is why rap is not music, although in recent years some rap has added melody, so conceivably some rap qualifies. As for Tool, I didn't listen to any complete pieces that were posted, but what I listened to lacked melody, and some lacked both harmony and melody.
Well, sir.

The melody and harmony is the bass player and the singer, in Tool. I recommend “vicarious” so you can hear the bass really fill out the chords.

jamma

I agree with what you are saying here...up to a point. I am also fascinated by musicians that play with the preconceptions of what music should sound like. I don't use the word "music" as such, I prefer "sound sculptures" to avert the question of whether or not a certain piece is "music". As always, our choice of music is a personal one and your viewpoint is as valid as anyone's. I get what Tool does and like them...up to a point. ;)

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
We also need to acknowledge our WA connection, first bass player from TOOL, Paul D'Amour, is from Spokane, and one of the alien/dudes and often co-director in the videos is from Wenatchee.

ALL SOULS is opening for TOOL on this leg of the tour on now, a great band.
I saw them fairly recently open for The Jesus Lizard in Portland.

Last edited:

Creatch'r

Heavies...
What is art and what is music is an even darker rabbit hole than what is fly fishing. I’ll stay clear of that one while I listen to more Tool, reminisce on more shows, and wait anxiously for Aug 30th.

Where’s my guy Pat Lat at?? I wish he would chime in as he and I both had our 3rd eyes pried wide open at the Gorge.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
Songs like “Prison Sex” always brighten up my day. I’ve been told not to sing along at work though!
Love Primus and King Crimson too. Was listening to some stuff Les Claypool did with Julian Lennon the other day. So much music and so little time.

Latest posts