Cedar River 2019

Elliott5400

Keep reporting them to WDFW. I got an update from them that a couple fish killers I previously reported were apprehended.

Now, the wording of the regs themselves, and the fines given for wildlife crimes is another story.
Hell yea keep busting them poachers by the ballsack.

Philonius

I don't fish the Cedar often, in fact yesterday was my first (and likely last) time this season. It's a such a nice river, and so close to home, I should probably take advantage of it more often. But ah, between @Kfish, his buddy Elliott, and all the poachers, I figure the fish have enough to worry about without me.

Anyway, it was a nice day; easy wading, I saw a mink, an osprey and a pack of redheaded ducks, didn't fall in, and caught a couple of pretty nice rainbows. I like the upper river; a bit further off the beaten path. It's definitely starting to look autumnal out there, and the air has that tangy fall smell to it.

Hendodesign

That was my experience this last week too. I've tried fishing every week and the spots that were consistent for me with nymphs and streamers are starting to dry up with the lower flows. It went from swinging flies down the whole river to hole hunting over bigger areas of the river. Caught 4 trout on a black flashy wooly bugger august 9th and I went on Friday Aug. 16th and Sunday Aug 18th and had some bumps but nothing big. I tried a hopper dropper but pulled in leaves after every second cast. Think it might be time for some weekend trips over the hill sadly.

Andrew Shoemaker

My experience on the Cedar the last couple weeks has been the same as Hendo's...all the luck has dried up with the flow rate. I threw in the towel for this season a few days ago. Looks like i'll be on the Naches every weekend now...rough on the gas budget, good for the soul.

Elliott5400

I don't fish the Cedar often, in fact yesterday was my first (and likely last) time this season. It's a such a nice river, and so close to home, I should probably take advantage of it more often. But ah, between @Kfish, his buddy Elliott, and all the poachers, I figure the fish have enough to worry about without me.

Anyway, it was a nice day; easy wading, I saw a mink, an osprey and a pack of redheaded ducks, didn't fall in, and caught a couple of pretty nice rainbows. I like the upper river; a bit further off the beaten path. It's definitely starting to look autumnal out there, and the air has that tangy fall smell to it.

Lol!

Last season I spent 40+ days on the Cedar. Was consistently catching 17-20"+ piglets, and every size in between.

This season, I spent 4-5 days IF even that. General consensus is the fishing was pretty lame on Cedar this year. Caught a few OK ones but absolutely nothing in comparison to the prior season.

I always make it for opening day though. Even though the Cedar gets pounded by poachers and angler pressure, sometimes she can recover nicely because lake WA is a huge vast, food source rich haven to keep growing those big wild bruiser which we have grown so fond of.

I'm kind of shocked (and glad) guides don't seem to run trips on lake WA for Cutts.

Anyways, I'm not even going to make a goodbye out to the Seedy for a goodbye. Not even for the nostalgia of tweakers cranking yank under the bridges or to see beautiful wild trout being poached right before your eyes. The Cedar is a special place.

I'm off to boat trips in the Salt for the next two days fellas. It's on fire.

Last edited:

mlapsen

MdwstrnTrnsplnt
Long time reader, first time poster...

Totally agree that this year has seen the Cedar be a harder fish than in past years, especially for 12+” fish . Yet, despite the poachers, tweakers and tubers, it remains an urban gem that we can all agree we are lucky to have.

Headed to one of my favorite stretches this afternoon for my last fish before the 31st, only to break a rod in the first 10 minutes (topic for a future post). Luckily, I had a backup stick in the car.

Turned out to be a wonderful afternoon filled with two yearling blacktail, a frolicking mink family, and 8 fish to hand (5+ LDR’s). These two were worth taking a pic given this year’s deficit of larger fish. 15”-er took the swinging streamer and 16” surprised me with a beetle top water strike.

Well, best to you all as another season sets on the Cedar.

Tree free backcasts and tight lines...

Attachments

Hendodesign

Ugh. I was hoping to put in one more day this week before the season comes to a close ... sounds like it might not even be worth my little 10-15 minute drive.

Hendodesign

Thought I’d give it one last go. Waded for awhile and found one deeper pool coming off a riffle and got two small trout on dries and a medium sized whitefish on a nymph. The spots are few and far between now but there’s some smaller fish to be had. The bigger guys are hiding. Might end my season on a good note since the last two trips ended with nada.

Attachments

Young Engh

The Cedar is such a great resource that we have. Had a great day yesterday. I was gone all season and yesterday was my only day out. I started up north @ Landsburg and hit all my favorite spots and then drove towards Renton hopping out both at places I've never been and places I've fished in the past. Google maps was my friend. I lucked out and landed my personal best on the cedar a nice 16-17 incher that took swung nymphs. Such a blast on a 4wt w/ clicker reel. I was buzzing. I caught a couple more small ones on dries. A brief afternoon rainstorm added to the early fall atmosphere of the day. I'm looking forward to hitting those new spots next season. I hope everyone else had a good summer out on the river
Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 6.44.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-01 at 6.46.49 PM.png

Latest posts