Cedar River 2019

FerrousTortoise

I met Kfish for our annual opening day Cedar trip this morning. I ended up catching what I am going to call the Cedar slam.

Morning started with a big ole sucker that looked like it survived a bird attack. Next came a first for me, a pea mouth. After that a few small trout were mixed in, both cutts and bows, and I finished the morning with a fat whitefish.

Unfortunately I didn’t catch XP’s elusive brown trout, so maybe it wasn’t a complete slam ;).

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
I met Kfish for our annual opening day Cedar trip this morning. I ended up catching what I am going to call the Cedar slam.

Morning started with a big ole sucker that looked like it survived a bird attack. Next came a first for me, a pea mouth. After that a few small trout were mixed in, both cutts and bows, and I finished the morning with a fat whitefish.

Unfortunately I didn’t catch XP’s elusive brown trout, so maybe it wasn’t a complete slam ;).
Nice to meet you officially!

Brian White

Recovering Bugmeister
Throwing down the gauntlet - challenge anyone to beat this beast in 2019.

Caught this behemoth earlier today. 5 wt. Not going to apologize for taking it either - no way I was going to C&R this. Note the unique pink coloration, and note how in my ego-stroke-pic I did my best to feature my gear to the max extent possible. I even laid my sunglasses and nippers alongside. Never know where Smith is looking for fishermen to sponsor.
#myotherotherotherrideispinkhasabigholeandtwolovehandles

#CedarRiverCleanUp2019Kickedoff

0CC2DD65-A62C-4E00-B568-35A1488CB129.jpeg

Kidding aside, I wish people wouldn’t litter or leave their inflatables in the river. Not cool. Picking up beer cans and garbage is not how I want to spend my time when I have fly rod in hand.

Last edited:

Stew McLeod

aka BigMac
Here I am been waiting for the first Saturday in June for the opener and I've missed it. Guess I am hitting my normal haunt tonight if I can.

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
Here I am been waiting for the first Saturday in June for the opener and I've missed it. Guess I am hitting my normal haunt tonight if I can.
Good luck! I hear it's fishing decently. I went on Saturday and it was a bit slow for me. That could just be me though. :)

steve s

I fished for a bit Saturday morning at Belmondo's. Pretty slow, had a couple of takes until I heard my car alarm going off. I raced back to the parking lot to see a black SUV, Ford or Chevy, with a busted out window leave in a hurry. They didn't get inside my truck, luckily. Good luck out there!

Stew McLeod

aka BigMac
Good luck! I hear it's fishing decently. I went on Saturday and it was a bit slow for me. That could just be me though. :)
Thanks. Just checked my logs and I have not fished the Cedar since August 2016 - at least did not make an entry for it. I used to fish it quite regularly and hope to hit it a few times this year.

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
Thanks. Just checked my logs and I have not fished the Cedar since August 2016 - at least did not make an entry for it. I used to fish it quite regularly and hope to hit it a few times this year.
I love the cedar. It's just fun that it has all wild rainbows, and other fish too, it's catch and release, fly fishing only and super close by. Helps that the weather is typically wonderful too.

Stew McLeod

aka BigMac
I fished for a bit Saturday morning at Belmondo's. Pretty slow, had a couple of takes until I heard my car alarm going off. I raced back to the parking lot to see a black SUV, Ford or Chevy, with a busted out window leave in a hurry. They didn't get inside my truck, luckily. Good luck out there!
Thanks for the intel. This is the area I haunt, so I will park at my normal spot and not down there.

Kfish

Anyone else besides AdrianM noticed that the rocks are more slimy than usual this year too? My bucket biologist theory is that it affected the fish population somehow. FerrousTortoise caught sucker, pea mouth, and whitefish all in one morning. It's not typical for this section of the river...

Elliott5400

It's been painfully dead for me. Last year my wrist was getting cramped from fighting so many 17"+ fish multiple times per day.

Latest posts