Cedar River 2019

Hi All, I'm relatively new to the region (moved out here last summer), and have mainly been fishing the creeks in the central Cascades and the Yakima system. I've been combing through all of the past threads on the Cedar but would like some pointers on where to start. I'm hearing all about the car break-ins and the dogs with the bees shooting out of their mouths. If anyone could provide me some guidance over DM, I'd greatly appreciate it. General questions include: Do the upper sections of the river near Landsburg fish the same/different than down by the lake. Which sections of the river are most crowded? Ideas for good walk and wade sections. Many thanks. Len

Fotdesign

Nice evening on the Cedar. Caught a fair number of little guys and a couple of decent rainbows. Looking forward to getting out again. Also, be careful if your thinking of boating down the river. There’s a tree that goes across the entire river around mile 14. There is a sign just before it to portage around. I don’t see it updated yet on the King County site: https://www.kingcounty.gov/services/parks-recreation/boating/rivers.aspx

Attachments

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
I absolutely love catching beefy wild rainbows. What I love most is seeing them quickly revived and speeding off for cover. Makes me feel good knowing they are so healthy.

Hi All, I'm relatively new to the region (moved out here last summer), and have mainly been fishing the creeks in the central Cascades and the Yakima system. I've been combing through all of the past threads on the Cedar but would like some pointers on where to start. I'm hearing all about the car break-ins and the dogs with the bees shooting out of their mouths. If anyone could provide me some guidance over DM, I'd greatly appreciate it. General questions include: Do the upper sections of the river near Landsburg fish the same/different than down by the lake. Which sections of the river are most crowded? Ideas for good walk and wade sections. Many thanks. Len
cedar isn't too bad if you're worried about car break-ins. but be careful about upper cedar if you are planning on going to landsburg. check the regs, i forget which stretch is closed to all fishing. At landburg bridge and upstream, if it hasn't changed. but upper cedar will definitely have less traffic, but there isn't much of a parking situation when you get out in the area. if you are looking to just prospect the river to get a feel for it, you can access the lower stretch of the river really easily. there's tons of public parking by the cedar river dog park/trail/rec center. i usually fish the lower end after work since it's so close. as for upper river, you will want to take a day to scout out the area first, so you don't waste your fishing day looking for public access areas. be warned, if you do swing through the lower stretch, there is tons of traffic from the gen. public so don't explode, if you see little action during peak pedestrian hours.

it is just me or the cedar kind of quiet this year. maybe i'm still shaking off some green this season, but i feel like last year at this time, the river was loaded with activity.

it is just me or the cedar kind of quiet this year. maybe i'm still shaking off some green this season, but i feel like last year at this time, the river was loaded with activity.
Fished it tonight. I got 5 to hand (2 cutts, 3 bows) and my BIL landed 4 or 5, too. Lots of little bitty guys eating up top and a decent amount of activity subsurface (both nymphing and swinging). Not wildly active but we had a lot of fun for a 2-hour post-work trip.

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
Fished it tonight. I got 5 to hand (2 cutts, 3 bows) and my BIL landed 4 or 5, too. Lots of little bitty guys eating up top and a decent amount of activity subsurface (both nymphing and swinging). Not wildly active but we had a lot of fun for a 2-hour post-work trip.
Have you noticed the larger ones (12" or larger) fight really well for their size?

Latest posts