Cedar River 2019

Kfish

it is just me or the cedar kind of quiet this year. maybe i'm still shaking off some green this season, but i feel like last year at this time, the river was loaded with activity.
This year's opener was about the same as last, maybe a tad more quiet...
Fishing got really good last year towards the end of June in terms of fish size, at least for me. Hope that's still the case this year.

Have you noticed the larger ones (12" or larger) fight really well for their size?
Something grabbed a sz 8 Pat's stone on the swing that fought for a second then broke my tippet off. It felt monstrous, but I have no idea what it was as it was on the far side from me and deep. Other than that, everything was probably 10" or less that we caught.

I was out on the Cedar today and saw lots of large bug casings on rocks. I grabbed a few and broke them open. One had what looked like a large grub, black head and yellowish body. Anyone know what this is? Much bigger than a caddis larva.

I was out on the Cedar today and saw lots of large bug casings on rocks. I grabbed a few and broke them open. One had what looked like a large grub, black head and yellowish body. Anyone know what this is? Much bigger than a caddis larva.
define "much bigger" I was on the Hoh 2 weeks ago and the Caddis were about 2 inches long in the case.

Throwing down the gauntlet - challenge anyone to beat this beast in 2019.

Caught this behemoth earlier today. 5 wt. Not going to apologize for taking it either - no way I was going to C&R this. Note the unique pink coloration, and note how in my ego-stroke-pic I did my best to feature my gear to the max extent possible. I even laid my sunglasses and nippers alongside. Never know where Smith is looking for fishermen to sponsor.
#myotherotherotherrideispinkhasabigholeandtwolovehandles

#CedarRiverCleanUp2019Kickedoff

View attachment 203372

Kidding aside, I wish people wouldn’t litter or leave their inflatables in the river. Not cool. Picking up beer cans and garbage is not how I want to spend my time when I have fly rod in hand.
Is there a crew I could join to help clean up the Cedar?

Kfish

I saw them this morning too, pretty long and larger than the typical caddis larvae but I'm pretty sure it's caddis.

Fishing was pretty good this morning, @Elliott5400 and I got into some really nice chunky fish around 17-19" range. I think they all got the mass company email that it's officially opened now :)

We think this is a cutt-bow...

Resized_20190601_062413.jpg

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
That's an October Caddis. They get to be quite large!

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Thanks Ian. Will they stay in that larva form in the casing until the Fall?
Yes, unless you decide to go 1000 IQ on the river. Rip a bunch of the larvae out of their shucks, chuck 'em in a likely looking riffle in moderate succession, and then quickly follow the larvae thru the run with a nice looking O.C. nymph. Or, like Kfish said, kick over a bunch of rocks upstream of the run and do the same.

Don't take that too seriously. They call it "boot-licking" in Colorado and New Mexico and such, and I believe it is actually an illegal practice in many states. You can let your ethical compass decide :)

Latest posts