Cedar River 2019

Old Man

Just an Old Man
They do a cleanup on that river every year and when it opens every year it looks like a pig pen. People just don't give a shit how the Skinny water looks anymore.

River was littered in trash and baby diapers tonight. Mmmm

Suns out, no regard to nature littering and throwing rocks in the hole let the pup swim in the hole crowds are showing up in force as well.

rdilla

Went down to the Fred V. Habenicht Rotary Park yesterday afternoon. There was a group of about 8 (mostly adults). One of them was gutting a fresh caught 5"-6" trout. My guess was that it probably wasn't the only one they had and it's not their first time. What's the protocol when you see something like this?

Went down to the Fred V. Habenicht Rotary Park yesterday afternoon. There was a group of about 8 (mostly adults). One of them was gutting a fresh caught 5"-6" trout. My guess was that it probably wasn't the only one they had and it's not their first time. What's the protocol when you see something like this?
Call the game wardens cell phone directly.

Last edited:
I find it surprising that there are no signs on the river saying "catch and release only". In places like Pennsylvania, catch and release rivers are lit up with bright yellow signs. I would think that many of the folks who are keeping fish just don't know the regs and wouldn't even know where to start looking for them.

I find it surprising that there are no signs on the river saying "catch and release only". In places like Pennsylvania, catch and release rivers are lit up with bright yellow signs. I would think that many of the folks who are keeping fish just don't know the regs and wouldn't even know where to start looking for them.
While it can be confusing, it's not rocket science to research them for what you're fishing.

Maybe some of you are kinder than me. I have 0 tolerance for poaching and have absolutely flamed some of the mouthy ones. Sometimes I see guys fishing bait or treble and seemed to truly show remorse when I let them know it's not legal.

My advise is don't approach the poachers as some of them have gotten rather aggressive. Just have that legal justice roll their way quietly.

At one point someone here was in the works of making that happen. Haven't heard word on it for quite some time. I'd be down to be the one to make it happen though.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This was done on some Puget Sound beaches in regards to catch and release on searun cutthroat.

A couple things to keep in mind.
It is the Cedar, where poaching seems to be prevalent in a urban setting.
Just my opinion, but I'd imagine a good number of signs would get removed or torn down.

Secondly, the Cedar is in Washington State, where very few things like this actually get done by the state.
It is generally volunteers that do so.
SF

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
Hear there is a landslide or construction up river and water clarity is 0”. Anyone confirm if the lower section is fishable?

steve s

Was on the river at Cedar Grove this morning and the water was clear. Might head out again tomorrow. If so, I’ll post a report.

Fotdesign

Here’s an update from Creekside Angler’s:
UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: 0” clarity was due to a slide near Landsburg that created about a mile of dirty water and is on its way down the system. The upper river has already cleared and the entire river will be back in action by tomorrow morning.

UPDATE: From Landsburg to approx. 2-3 miles downstrram is clear.

Breaking Cedar River news! Just in from one of our shop staff, the Cedar is at 0” visibility in the upper river near Maple Valley. Either a mud slide or construction work must be happening above the highway 18 bridge. We are not sure if the Landsburg area is clear or not. Downriver of highway 18 is normal clarity but it probably won’t hold for long.

AdrianM

I am no longer new here!
Went out sometime last week, and met two nice folks fishing at different times. Both individuals were a pleasure to talk with.

If you're out here - thanks, Jason, for the purple princes!
Psycho princes? Those are great flies anywhere. Especially on the cedar

I love the cedar. It's just fun that it has all wild rainbows, and other fish too, it's catch and release, fly fishing only and super close by. Helps that the weather is typically wonderful too.
Are you sure it is fly fishing only? I can't see anything in the regs that state that it is.

Latest posts