Cedar River 2019

Elliott5400

Good job Elliot. If the guy gets reported often enough he may eventually "get it."
Enforcement may be setting up cameras on the location. He now has a chance to accept his actions are exposed and to change them, or he can further incriminate himself and have enforcement show up to his residence with video evidence of foul play.

I know some folks don't want to be the "snitch" but I refuse to sit back and watch our resources be ruined for the rest of us. It's pretty satisfying to know at least some justice is being brought.

Poachers be warned, more and more eyes are watching our waters than before. More and more people have access to enforcement direct cell phone lines (aka get shit done FAST).

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Some of the rivers that are closed down still get people fishing them and keeping fish. Before I was ever on this site I knew a guy that lived on Pilchuck River and he lived on the river away from any roads. He told me that he fished the river and caught RB's and Steelhead. This was over 25 years ago. Don't know if he is alive or not. This was before cell phone and the internet. It was also in the summer time.

Ricardo

Hit the Cedar yesterday for a couple of hours. All I did was swing flies and ended up with 10 to hand and many more distance-released. Nothing large, between 8 and 10 inches, super fun and a good bent for the tenkara rod. I agree that the river seems more slippery this year than in the past, or it might be that I am getting old and goofier.

When I was returning to the parking there was a dark green honda civic, all messed up with many scratches, parked but with the engine on right next to my car. In the distance I saw the driver's head popping through his car's open window looking inside my car. Then he noticed a car coming into the parking, closed the window, backed up and left the parking. Not implying anything, but it was a bit odd. This happened in one of the public parking places along the upper Cedar.

Hendodesign

I measured it quick before I released it from the net. The second one was an estimate given it shook itself off the hook before I could get it all the way in the net.

wiznet

Went out this morning for a good 5 hours. Got 3 in the 8-10in range and missed two. All on a euro setup.

radiowires

I hooked a fish today that was one of those set the hook = slow deep headshakes. The fish ran straight down a riffle and then pegged itself under a log. I started thinking to myself, this is the biggest trout I’ve ever hooked. I’ll be telling my grandkids about this fish. Heck, I’ll be telling other people’s grandkids about it. I finally was able to get the fish out from the log, and it darted down the next riffle. This went on for about a minute, all the while visions of glory continuing to grow in my mind. The tussle went on for about a minute, and the fish had run me about 40 yards down the river. I finally managed to get the advantage and slid the fish into the net. It was an absolutely monster carp. C ‘est la vie.

Matt B

I hooked a fish today that was one of those set the hook = slow deep headshakes. The fish ran straight down a riffle and then pegged itself under a log. I started thinking to myself, this is the biggest trout I’ve ever hooked. I’ll be telling my grandkids about this fish. Heck, I’ll be telling other people’s grandkids about it. I finally was able to get the fish out from the log, and it darted down the next riffle. This went on for about a minute, all the while visions of glory continuing to grow in my mind. The tussle went on for about a minute, and the fish had run me about 40 yards down the river. I finally managed to get the advantage and slid the fish into the net. It was an absolutely monster carp. C ‘est la vie.
I’ve had similar experiences. If it’s fun in the moment, is that somehow diminished later, when you’ve been disillusioned? A philosophical question. I say, no.
Anyway, not that it’s impossible for a carp to be in the Cedar but did it look like this (largescale sucker):
8187F00F-47A4-44FA-AE84-C4E34D4866C9.jpeg
Or this (common carp):
B2685B3D-B8F0-4347-87F5-4E471E324434.jpeg

Hendodesign

I’ve had similar experiences. If it’s fun in the moment, is that somehow diminished later, when you’ve been disillusioned? A philosophical question. I say, no.
Anyway, not that it’s impossible for a carp to be in the Cedar but did it look like this (largescale sucker):
View attachment 205742
Or this (common carp):
View attachment 205743
Pretty sure that's a giant whitefish. Nicely done. I caught a smaller version a few weeks ago. Definitely looks similar to a carp.

Latest posts