6 or 7 weight for wife?

Took the new wife out fishing for smallmouth on the lake. It was her 1st time throwing streamers. She has a Redington CT 5 weight that I got for her and she loves it.

I have a spare Redington Crosswater 6 wt and had her use that for throwing streamers. She hated it. Then I made a critical error. I let her use my Scott Radian 6 wt and she loved it, wouldn't give it back in fact. So now I am either getting her a new rod, or giving her my Scott and getting something new for myself. I really dont want to spend another $1k, so I'd rather get her something thats female friendly.

I figure that she will use her Redington CT for dry flies, the Crosswater is fine for a nymph rig, and i need something for her for throwing streamers.

We do a lot of pike fishing, so I am thinking that maybe a 7 weight would be better?

I have an 8 weight G loomis Asquith and there is no way that I will make the same mistake again and let her use it!

Maybe something with a medium action. My wife uses and loves my old fiberglass Fenwick 6# when she goes. She doesn't care for my fast action setups. Just an idea. And remember, happy wife, happy life....

My advice, just give your wife the Scott and find something new for yourself. Over the years I had tried several rods for my wife, graphite and glass, and while she could cast them all, it wasn't until I put an 80 year old Granger bamboo in her hands that she really loved a rod. So that is now her rod.
But do try Greenriver's advice and over line the Crosswater and have her try that also.
Good Luck and congratulations!
richard

The 6 would most likely be easier to cast than the 7. Reads to me like you'd better let her cast both and decide which one she likes.

I also made the mistake of letting my wife cast one of my favorite rods during a trip to the YNP area. It was back when Winston was the hot rod and she decided she liked it so any time we go fishing together these days, she uses the Winston.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
The 6 would most likely be easier to cast than the 7. Reads to me like you'd better let her cast both and decide which one she likes.

I also made the mistake of letting my wife cast one of my favorite rods during a trip to the YNP area. It was back when Winston was the hot rod and she decided she liked it so any time we go fishing together these days, she uses the Winston.
I may be looking for an old IM6 or WT sometime this year if used and affordable...thinking 5 or 6 wt...Remember Peter Rapport? he and i have been talking ...It was love at second cast...I was in shock after the first... Ha!

C&CRods

not your average member
Line and grip seem to make a huge difference for my wife. Let her cast my 8 wt and 10 wt to see which one she wants to cast in fiji and she gravitated to the 10 right away. The grip is a little more ergonomically friendly and the line is a good fit where as i also dislike the grip on my 8 wt also and the line is maybe a little to heavy for it.

I agree with rawalker, and on giving your wife the Radian. She already likes it, and it'd be a sweet gift from you to her. Might be sentimental... or maybe I'm just sappy.

Also not to start anything, but what makes a rod "female friendly"? Lol
Lighter weight? Less swing weight, maybe not super fast? She weights 110 pounds soaking wet. 5-4 without much leverage.

Latest posts