6 or 7 weight for wife?

Shad

Or....take her to a couple of fly shops and see what SHE thinks she would like.
Winner!

Put another way, shop for her favorite rod the same way you (hopefully) shopped for yours: try some out! As a bonus, you'll score quality time points with the wife. As an added bonus, you'll score points while doing something you enjoy. Take that opportunity every time....

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I agree with rawalker, and on giving your wife the Radian. She already likes it, and it'd be a sweet gift from you to her. Might be sentimental... or maybe I'm just sappy.

Also not to start anything, but what makes a rod "female friendly"? Lol
Lighter weight? Less swing weight, maybe not super fast? She weights 110 pounds soaking wet. 5-4 without much leverage.
Also the cork handle. Women’s hands are typically smaller. Mine is too large for my hand and my hand starts to hurt after awhile even before I had arthritis.

@SERE Nate ...I agree with those who said give your wife your fly rod and get yourself a new one!

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
Also the cork handle. Women’s hands are typically smaller. Mine is too large for my hand and my hand starts to hurt after awhile even before I had arthritis.

@SERE Nate ...I agree with those who said give your wife your fly rod and get yourself a new one!
Sand your cork down or get someone to do it for you.

Richard E

My advice, just give your wife the Scott and find something new for yourself. Over the years I had tried several rods for my wife, graphite and glass, and while she could cast them all, it wasn't until I put an 80 year old Granger bamboo in her hands that she really loved a rod. So that is now her rod.
But do try Greenriver's advice and over line the Crosswater and have her try that also.
Good Luck and congratulations!
richard
Best advice here. If she can tell he’s difference between the Radian and the Crosswater, she is pretty discerning. Why try and get her something she won’t like? Take the rare opportunity to be ‘right’. If she likes your Radian, let her use it, er, have it. No sense trying to swim upstream, and try out a rod with her that won’t like. Go with success. Not sure how often she fishes, but if she doesn’t very often, perhaps she will let you use her rod when she is not. And, you are now ‘allowed’ to replace the Radian...

There are so many rare relationship win opportunities here, it’s crazy.

I actually have been wanting to do that but I’m afraid of getting it wrong. If you were to do it would you use superfine sandpaper? I don’t want to mess it up and make it worse.
Jojo, I've built a lot of rods without lathe power. With fresh cork, I start with wood files. But assuming that your grips are close to what you want, get medium, fine and very fine sandpaper, and fine emory paper, which for some reason gives a smoother finish than sandpaper. Wrap the sheet around a thick paperback book; it will flex to follow the grip contours. Lay the rod butt across your seated lap, take a few strokes, then turn the rod about 1/8 of a rotation. Keep checking how it feels in your hand.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Jojo, I've built a lot of rods without lathe power. With fresh cork, I start with wood files. But assuming that your grips are close to what you want, get medium, fine and very fine sandpaper, and fine emory paper, which for some reason gives a smoother finish than sandpaper. Wrap the sheet around a thick paperback book; it will flex to follow the grip contours. Lay the rod butt across your seated lap, take a few strokes, then turn the rod about 1/8 of a rotation. Keep checking how it feels in your hand.
Thank you Nooksack Mac! I’m taking a screen shot of your instructions. The grip is close to what i want but my hands are small and i know it could be better. Wrap the sheet around a thick paperback book???? You mean like Stephen King’s The Stand? I’m trying to picture this! ;)

Latest posts