NFR Mt St Helens eruption. May 18th, 1980. 39 years ago. Where were you?

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
39th anniversary today of one of the coolest natural occurrences in modern US geologic history.

Where were you?

I was fishing off the jetty at Westport. We jumped in the car and made it to Chehalis and watched it from there in the evening.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Partying at Boyer pk on the Snake river with friends that went to WSU. They stopped the music, shut down the kegs and told everyone to go home because volcanic fallout was heading our way. It looked like a dark tidal wave in the distance, and by the time we got back to Pullman it was pitch black....2:30 in the afternoon. About 4:00 it looked like powder snow falling. 5”-6” total. I was supposed to sign closing papers on my house....couldn’t get home for 3 days. Something to tell the grandkids....

dogsnfish

Got up early while a student at WWU after spending the day before at the sunrise keg on Chuckanut drive. Heard a boom, and learned later we could hear it in B'ham because of something having to do with clouds and atmosphere.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Fishing at Lake Cushman.
We thought we heard something odd, but didn’t know what it was until we turned the radio on while driving home.
You could see the plum to the south as we crossed the Narrows bridge.
Had a lot of fun back in the day on the NF of the Toutle.
SF

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I was running a country bar in Montana. Looked to the west that morning & figured we were in for storm . . . then I heard the news. We had a pretty significant ash fall, but I put good filter protection on the air intake of my truck & had no issues.

Later that night, a friend, his Sister, my Bride & myself were the only ones in the bar. The front door opened & in walked a couple who looked like death warmed-over - they had been parked a couple miles from the bar & actually got stuck in a ditch they couldn't see due to the heavy ash fall. My buddy & I went & pulled their car out & we let them shower in the house & gave them some clean clothes. A couple weeks later they stopped-by to return the clothes & thanked us again, none the worse for wear. I bought them a beer & said: "I'm glad that you're not in adjoining iron lungs."

I spent a couple weeks washing ash off around my Mom's place & around the bar. Alfalfa & timothy hay grew like crazy that year.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
I was running a country bar in Montana. Looked to the west that morning & figured we were in for storm . . . then I heard the news. We had a pretty significant ash fall, but I put good filter protection on the air intake of my truck & had no issues.

Later that night, a friend, his Sister, my Bride & myself were the only ones in the bar. The front door opened & in walked a couple who looked like death warmed-over - they had been parked a couple miles from the bar & actually got stuck in a ditch they couldn't see due to the heavy ash fall. My buddy & I went & pulled their car out & we let them shower in the house & gave them some clean clothes. A couple weeks later they stopped-by to return the clothes & thanked us again, none the worse for wear. I bought them a beer & said: "I'm glad that you're not in adjoining iron lungs."

I spent a couple weeks washing ash off around my Mom's place & around the bar. Alfalfa & timothy hay grew like crazy that year.
Yes! Crops that year did fine, we had peas and hay, and the garden, all were good to go!

We were NW of the May 18th eruption, and had none that day, but we got a secondary eruption a week later, came down in a rainy drizzle..maybe 1/4 inch or more of ash total, but it stuck around until Fall rains.

Thrasybulus

The New Fly Fisherman
I was a young kid at my parent's home on the Oregon coast watching it on TV. We got dustings of ash from the May 18th eruption and more following later eruptions. In 1986 we visited Mt St Helen's and it still looked like the moon.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
11 yrs old playing down the street, sister yelled out the door it blew. spent the next couple days in front of the tv transfixed. I will never forget it, we drove down a couple months later and drove a round, so unreal! My sister keept a pumice rock the size of a medicine ball that weighed less than 10 lbs, she was quite proud she carried back to the car. About a year later my dad won a private flight at an auction to fly over it and I got to go. You cannot appreciate the level of destruction from the tv, that flight was so surreal and mind boggling. I have several hundred pictures somewhere from that flight and my dad has some 9mm film. Somewhere there is jars of ash and pumice, I often wonder if that giant pumice rock of my sisters is still under the deck at the house we grew up at.

Latest posts