Wulff Ambush #5 ... uses?

Tinker

Reactive Member
I don't notice much of a loss in distance when casting overhead but I hardly ever need to punch out a 60-foot cast so maybe I'm not the best judge. Shooting a 50-foot roll cast from a seated position in my kayak is easy. Getting 60-feet from a single-handed spey cast standing alongside a river is easy.

It's definitely a special purpose line, but so too is Outbound Short and any other line with a head section less than 30-feet long. What the Wulff Ambush offered me was a longer, less blunt tip section than other short-head lines and that seems to allow me to turn over a reasonable loop when casting.

It's biggest weakness for me is that it doesn't mend as good as a line with a longer taper when the line is in the water, but it seems to me to make much better aerial mends than long-tapered lines.

The grain of salt here is that I'm used to casting with a heavy - really heavy - sink tip rigged Scandi style on a one-handed rod, but I'm not sure what the "you have to strip in more line to make the next cast" argument is based on since I don't seem to need to do that. I can do it, but I don't find it at all necessary.

Last fall up on the Morice I lost a screw on my spring and pawl reel and had to use my back up rod wich was a 10' 7wt with and ambush line. I stuck a poly leader on it and used it like a spey rod, landed 2 fish with it. I couldn't make long casts but it worked. I would say if you can get it for a reasonable price, why not.

I use mine a lot on brushy creeks. Works well with the shorter Airflow sinking leaders as well as bigger dries when using a floating MOW and a 7" tapered mono leader.

I agree its a niche line I just think its way overrated (I do not like short belly lines at all). For me, its a very small niche, there is only one place I use it and that is ambush wf8f. I have no use for ambush wf5f. I guess I'm knocking it, but if it works for others great. I'm just going off my experience.

What I mean by stripping the line all the way in is that for me, I need to get the ambush running line within a rod length of the tip top (usually less) to start a cast I think the head length on Ambush wf5f is less than 20'. Maybe this isn't the case for everyone, but its the case for me. With a DT or line with a longer belly, I can pick up 40+' of line and cast it.

cebe

It’s great for restricted backcast situations. I use a 5wt Ambush on a Sage Rpl+ 10’ 6 wt rod. It loads that rod just fine for single hand Spey casts. 50 ft Spey type casts are easy when backed right up to the bushes. Put a poly leader or versileader of your choice and you can definitely swing wets and it lands quite softly. True, for overhead casting it has little advantage over traditional lines if you have backcast room. I wouldn’t hesitate to drop down a line size for a given rod because it does have a lot of weight in just 18-19 ft of head. That triangle taper does land a little softer than a comparable skagit short in my opinion.

It’s great for restricted backcast situations. I use a 5wt Ambush on a Sage Rpl+ 10’ 6 wt rod. It loads that rod just fine for single hand Spey casts. 50 ft Spey type casts are easy when backed right up to the bushes. Put a poly leader or versileader of your choice and you can definitely swing wets and it lands quite softly. True, for overhead casting it has little advantage over traditional lines if you have backcast room. I wouldn’t hesitate to drop down a line size for a given rod because it does have a lot of weight in just 18-19 ft of head. That triangle taper does land a little softer than a comparable skagit short in my opinion.
Right on.
Got it and tried it with spey casts. Too heavy for my Aetos 9’ 5wt. It can work, after a fashion, but the rod is overpowered. The 4wt would probably be ok...
I find it a bit too short for scandi style touch and go casts. Wading helps.
It was worth trying. I ve offered it to my nephew who owns two 6wt rods.

Last edited:

Latest posts