Trip Report Northern pike pic heavy

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
I don't know what to say about pike, they're aggressive, mean, strong, infuriating, and one of the best freshwater game fish I've chased on the fly. My trout guide, Chuck Degray, in NH turned out to be a huge pike junky. After a couple hours fishing together, he's like, you need to experience pike, let's leave these little trout and the 5 wt at home. It can be insane and will change you. He was right. It was on fire. I think we had about 30 pike chase my fly, maybe 25 ate and I landed about 15. The eats are evil and visual, strip set hard and try and keep up. The initial battle is straight combat. After two runs they're done and slide into the cradle.
Chucks flies are awesome. Lot of grip and grins but I couldn't help it.
20190523_073526.jpgOI000032.JPGOI000034.JPGOI000045.JPGOI000053.JPGOI000056.JPGOI000065.JPGOI000080.JPGOI000076.JPG
The pike man:
OI000085.JPG
I was so tired at the end of the day, sore, broken, bleeding, but couldn't sleep. I need to fight esox again. Do it if you ever get the chance, it will change you.

Hem

My side of the family is all New Englanders.
I split some thirty plus years ago. Obligatory family visits, otherwise I mostly dread spending any time there. Like your threads, will keep this in mind.

SaltyCutt

Beach Bum
My side of the family is all New Englanders.
I split some thirty plus years ago. Obligatory family visits, otherwise I mostly dread spending any time there. Like your threads, will keep this in mind.
Yep, we've been in WA about 12 years now, gets harder and harder to make the trip. Everybody spread out all over New England so it's hell visiting everybody, this trip was 10 days and 4 states. I'm exhausted and need a vacation. Fitting in a couple days of fishing is key.

Buzzy

"it will change you"............. I've resisted trying for pike because if I did like it (and I already know the answer to that question), then I'd be buying another rod (or two), reel & spool, lines, hooks...... great report, thank you for sharing!!

Latest posts