Spring Run off out west

cebe

I’ve been following the posts on the winter snowpack conditions and wondering how the runoff has been. Any guesstimates on how long high water conditions will last? Do you think for your areas it will be a lot later than normal? Do you still find fishing opportunities during runoff?

Buzzy

"Out west", eh? ;-) - I'm sure to get burned by a few members for hotspotting. In my part of out west - I'm on the edge of the Channeled Scablands in central Washington, we don't have many rivers.

Here's the Yakima: https://www.usbr.gov/pn/hydromet/rtgraph.html?list=umtw q&daily=umtw qd (we have been getting quite a bit of rain)
Eight hours to the east (but still out west) is a great MT fishery: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/mt/nwis/uv?site_no=06066500 (I was at this river last year on the first of May, it was flowing >3,000 cfs higher)

Washington's snowpack is going quickly (there's a thread about this on this forum). I really don't know about MT, OR, ID, OR..... depending on your destination, reach out to a fly shop in that area. Good luck.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
In SW Montana we are anywhere from 107-130% average snowpack. Runoff got started but the past few weeks we’ve had cool temps and more snow in the mountains. As a result the rivers have settled but things will get rolling again as soon as temps warm up.

Fishing has been decent to really good depending on day.

i think we will have some big water pushes but so far its been a great slow, controlled release. really depends on the specific watershed and its drainage though.

[QUOTE="cebe, post: 1496981, member: 19095"Do you still find fishing opportunities during runoff?[/QUOTE]

I fish some tail waters and lakes in particular during the runoff, both of which can be very good.

We also find fishing opportunities right right in your backyard actually. Here’s an email I got a few days ago from a friend who was fishing close to where you are (assuming you are in Cleveland):

“My buddy and I went last Monday and fished half a day Monday and Thursday and 8 - 9 hours Tuesday and Wednesday. Nice weather, although very windy Tuesday, large numbers of dropback steelhead but also some pre-spawn fish. I hesitate to say how many we hooked because most will say "impossible". I'd say we hooked between 180 & 200 steelhead. Most fish were between 22” - 25”. It will be over in another week or so as the water is quickly warming and the steelhead will return to the lake.”

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
Decided to try some local stillwater today as the rivers have ticked back up due to rain. Plus my buddy has been wanting to get me out on his new toy.

I suck at stillwater fishing but managed to get a few on egg sucking leaches fished off a sink tip. All rainbows.

I need to commit to getting better at this game.

b_illymac

Member Active
Decided to try some local stillwater today as the rivers have ticked back up due to rain. Plus my buddy has been wanting to get me out on his new toy.

I suck at stillwater fishing but managed to get a few on egg sucking leaches fished off a sink tip. All rainbows.

I got a fly that I bet would crush in this situation. @Irafly and @troutpocket can probably guess which one :D Let me see what I got for beads. Can probably send ya some.

up2nogood

I have taken a few rainbows out of that lake :D

cebe

Great photos Swimmy! Looks like you still have a lot of snow in the mountains. Hey MTflyfisher there were a lot of steelhead in the rivers and high numbers were pretty common but that is a lot of fish hooked! Thanks to everyone for the river and snowpack updates.

bakerite

Eastern Oregon ( baker, union and Wallowa counties) has been fairly cool with run off slow and steady. Lots of water in all the rivers right now and quite a bit of snow up high.

mikemac1

The opener in YNP was early this year--May 25th. The Firehole, Gibbon and Madison were all in great early season shape--high but not that high. Since I fished on Memorial Day, the Firehole has creeped up a bit and with the current spate of warm weather will probably breech the banks this week. Although the high water limits wading opportunities, especially on the Madison, these rivers rarely get very dirty during runoff. Even when the Firehole is overflowing its banks, it remains relatively clear and tea colored. Big, unweighted streamers on sink tips is the unconventional way to score decent fish during early June on the Firehole or Gibbon. Not only does the high water put off the average duffer or keep them in the shallow riffle areas, traditional dry fly and nymphing techniques are challenging at high flow levels. If you go deep, with big flies you'll connect with decent fish in these high water conditions.
P5270141.JPG
P5270136.JPG
P5270152.JPG

Oh, Lordy, that's gorgeous! I should have the splendor of the upper Madison burned into my brain, but for some reason my memory doesn't hold superlatives.

Latest posts