Skagit Wild Steelhead CnR Fishery........Eliminated 2020

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
It is on your ballot every time you have ever voted. Who do you think created the budget.
In my opinion, this is more about the lack of gumption by WDFW to fund this fishery rather then who you, I or anyone else voted for.....
They could find the money to fund it if they were willing to.
Maybe quit creating more high paying positions within their agency?
SF

bhudda

heffe'
Ok....the right people involved and you get 100’s of millions of dollars for orcas, where did that magically come from? How come public opinion which was heavy in favor of doing something for the orcas made mountains move, and we can’t move a grain a sand in our favor? Stupid!

WT

Ok....the right people involved and you get 100’s of millions of dollars for orcas, where did that magically come from? How come public opinion which was heavy in favor of doing something for the orcas made mountains move, and we can’t move a grain a sand in our favor? Stupid!
the trick is to tap into that orca money. habitat improvements for chinook = habitat improvements for steelhead.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
We are not as cute as Orcas.
the trick is to tap into that orca money. habitat improvements for chinook = habitat improvements for steelhead.
The trick is to point out their flaws...with a smile on your face. They see plenty of mob mentality.
I totally understand a lot of frustration with regards to WDFW. At times I share it. I also think they catch a lot of blame for things that they are simply not responsible for.
This is why my approach to the department has generally been respectful and polite. However, funding the Skagit C&R season has nothing to do with past habitat destruction, saving Orcas, Boldt or a host of other things. What it does have to do with is that WDFW created a five year plan that is renewable, with no plan to fund the fucking thing. That is totally on them and no one else.

If you're going to start an extended trip you should make goddamn sure you have enough gas money to get there.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Bumping this back to the top.

It would be good any time now to begin contacting your district Senator and Representatives in the state Legislature and telling them that the Skagit steelhead season is very important to you, so they should support the monitoring portion of WDFW's supplemental budget request. $2.5 million of the $26 million is for salmon and steelhead monitoring, statewide.

I'm not going to lobby for the entire $26 million because I'm pissed that the Department is throwing sport fishing under the bus. However I will lobby for monitoring because it is a necessary requirement for salmon and steelhead fishing where ESA species occur. Without monitoring, no sport fishing will be allowed.

My plan is to contact legislators at about 2-week intervals, since I expect they have short memories for something this unimportant in the legislative agenda. Repeated contacts will make it more difficult for them to forget about it.

In addition to my local district legislators, I intend to also contact the legislators in Skagit County, since that area specifically benefits from this fishing season. I recently heard that Sutherland wasn't even aware that the Skagit had been closed and then recently re-opened for steelhead fishing. These District 39 legislators need to be informed that Skagit steelhead fishing contributes financially to Skagit community businesses from Mt. Vernon to Marblemount.

The District 39 legislators are:

Sen. Keith Wagoner (R) [email protected] 360-786-7676

Rep. Robert Sutherland (R) [email protected] 360-786-7967

Rep. Carolyn Eslick (R) [email protected] 360-786-7918

District 40 includes Mt. Vernon, Burlington, and the west end of Skagit County.

Sen. Liz Lovelett (D) [email protected] 360-786-7678

Rep. Debra Lokanoff (D) [email protected] 360-786-7800, B'ham office: 360-676-2101

Rep. Jeff Morris (D) [email protected] 360-786-7970, District office: 360-8738820

I also want to include the Senate Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Environment Committee, since they review all WDFW legislation, including the supplemental budget request:

Kevin Van De Wege (D) [email protected] 360-786-7646, District office: 360-477-7988

Jesse Salomon (D) [email protected] 360-786-7662, District office: 206-466-5686

Judy Warnick (R) [email protected] 360-786-7624, District office: 509-766-6505

Jim Honeyford (R) [email protected] 360-786-7684

John McCoy (R) [email protected] 360-786-7674

Christine Rolfes (D) [email protected] 360-786-7644, District office: 206-451-4917

Shelly Short (R) [email protected] 360-786-7612

The 2020 legislative session is a 60-day session, and a major focus will probably be the $30 car license tab initiative, so it will take a lot of noise and contacts to get legislators to think about WDFW's supplemental budget request. Maybe if we hound enough of them often enough, they will be convinced that the $2.5 million for fishery monitoring is small change and be sure to include it during the final 3-day huddle of horse trading where all the final budget decisions are made.

Last edited:

ChaseBallard

bushwhacker
Agree to disagree on the larger WDFW funding request, @Salmo_g. But I much appreciate your support for the monitoring funds to keep the Skagit open, and no need to rehash our debate about the bigger issues at play unless it's over a beer next to a river.

Still, if folks want an easy, one-click option to write their legislators in support of giving WDFW a measly $26 million (out of the state's $52 billion budget) to finally better invest in our fish, wildlife and public lands, you can use this form:
actnow.io/XsGl5nm

Or feel free to poach from our suggested letter, customize with your own thoughts, and send it to your senator and reps. Extra credit for cc'ing budget committee members. -Chase

Dear state lawmaker,

Washington's fish and wildlife have been underfunded for years despite diverse challenges ranging from orca and salmon declines to wolf management, elk hoof disease and habitat loss. Please make fully-funding the Department of Fish and Wildlife a priority during the 2020 supplemental session. Our natural heritage depends on it.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) long faced a $31 million budget shortfall. With broad stakeholder support from the Department’s Budget and Policy Advisory Group, made up of leaders from conservation, fishing, hunting, outdoor recreation and other interests, $60 million was requested last session (2019) to fill the gap and provide improved services and innovative conservation programs.

In a huge disappointment, the $52.4 billion, 2019-2020 Operating Budget included only a $24 million “increase” for WDFW, $7 million short of filling the agency’s funding gap and less than half of what’s needed for the agency to meet the demands of Washingtonians for our outdoor heritage. The legislature also increased payroll expenses at state agencies including WDFW, adding another $13 million to the Department of Fish and Wildlife’s budget need during the current 2019-2020 biennium.

WDFW faces a $20 million budget shortfall going into the 2020 supplemental session, and that's just to provide basic services. The agency is requesting $26 million to fully-fund the Evergreen State's fish, wildlife, habitat and public lands.

One of the worst parts of continued underfunding is that the threatened species and habitats most in need of attention will face further cuts. Due to a lack of support from the General Fund, sharp-tailed grouse, lynx, steelhead, and other native species identified under State Wildlife Action Plans currently make up less than five perfect of WDFW’s budget. They need more resources, not less, and they can’t wait any longer.

Investing in WDFW also makes good economic sense, as the Department of Revenue estimates that wildlife watching, hunting and fishing contributed nearly $340 million dollars to the State General Fund in the 2017-19 biennium through related sales tax and business and occupation tax revenues.

Washington’s fish, wildlife, WDFW wildlife areas and water access sites, and the rich outdoor opportunities they provide are important for me and my family. Please make fully-funding Fish and Wildlife a priority during the 2020 legislative session by supporting WDFW’s $26 million supplemental budget request.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts