Skagit Wild Steelhead CnR Fishery........Eliminated 2020

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
The strategic bureaucratic move then and each time thereafter that the GF appropriation was reduced would have been for the Department to close a salmon hatchery, preferably one in the district of a Senator on the Natural Resource Committee and Ways & Means Committees
I'll mention that next Saturday.

Also in this time of under-funding the department has decided to create two new high level management positions - the salaries of which would be more than adequate to fund the C&R season. With the prospects of declining opportunity, one has to wonder what exactly these two managers are going to manage that is not being managed already? Or, does eliminating opportunity require new management in and of itself?

bhudda

heffe'
I'll mention that next Saturday.

Also in this time of under-funding the department has decided to create two new high level management positions - the salaries of which would be more than adequate to fund the C&R season. With the prospects of declining opportunity, one has to wonder what exactly these two managers are going to manage that is not being managed already? Or, does eliminating opportunity require new management in and of itself?
that email from Wdfw was total BS!!! Go getm Wayne!!

Last edited:

troutdopemagic

I'm glad I live in a state where the Game Department prioritizes whales and wolves over literally anything else. Hard to increase interest in fishing among youth and the general public if everything is eliminated.

At this point I would gladly pay a tag fee to fish the Skagit system.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
But frankly, the sea change you're calling for is not how Olympia works. That kind of paradigm shift, however righteous, is not going to happen overnight, or without more resources and support for the Department, including those who are trying to improve it from within.

If we can't unite in accepting that reality, and would rather continue to starve the agency in hopes of realizing our disparate visions of change, we should expect more cuts and lost opportunities, certainly not "new" fisheries like a reopened Skagit.

Chase,

I know quite well that bureaucracies don't shift their paradigms over night. Hell, they can't even double-clutch from one gear to the next because synchronization is a concept foreign to them. Government change is incremental. I've been waiting years to see the increment where the Department stops stealing our tax dollars and license fees to subsidize commercial salmon fishing in WA and Canada. Now that they're closing the Stilly for 3 1/2 months of prime season for imaginary Chinook conservation, and need to close the "new" Skagit steelhead fishing season to save a few bucks while he hires to upper management tier bureaucrats, the gloves have to come off. Shit, the Director is such a dipwad that he thinks the Skagit season is "new." He needs to surround himself with better help, not more help. If the new (10 months now) Director wants to stop the hemorrhaging, and is worth a fraction of what he's being paid, he'd close a salmon hatchery or two. As I mentioned above, when the Legislature reduced WDFW's GF appropriation, that was a very clear signal that the Legislature expected reduced function from the Department in terms of goods and services. No better way to demonstrate that reduced funding begets reduced function that by closing hatcheries and producing fewer hatchery salmon.

I'm malleable and coachable. Just show me where I'm wrong, and I can and will shift. The second the Department stops biting my hand, I'll be on my way to becoming its best friend.

Sg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
At this point I would gladly pay a tag fee to fish the Skagit system.
Be careful what you wish for...
About three months ago I bought a license that I expected would let me get three months of fishing on the Skagit. April of this year and February through March of 2020. As of right now I feel cheated out of two months.

I listened to the meeting that Chase linked to...twice and made some notes. Two that really popped out to me was during the entire meeting they kept call the Skagit C&R a six week season. Looking forward at next years calendar it is actually one day shy of thirteen weeks. Next Saturday they're going to discover that they have instantly just gotten more than twice as much bang for their buck!

The other thing that I noticed was the concern for the agency's vacancy rate. Not to be crass, but here is their mandate:
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is dedicated to preserving, protecting, and perpetuating the state’s fish, wildlife, and ecosystems while providing sustainable fish and wildlife recreational and commercial opportunities.
There is nothing in there mandating that they keep a specific amount of people employed.

Smalma

WW -
I too noticed the same things when I listened to conference call.

Hardly a surprise that the decision makers got the season length wrong but sometimes details are important. To your point the ability to make an informed decision on the Skagit creel would include season length.

Concern over the vacancy rate on its surface is disingenuous; late last month the director announce he was creating two new senior level positions; Director of Conservation and Director of Fish Policy. While those positions may be important the optics could not be worst. Not only that do they insert another link in the communication chain I suspect salary and benefits of either position would pay for the Skagit Creel or needed field staff.

Agency actions seem to indicate they are more interested in bureaucracy building than providing recreational opporunties.

Some of those that were interviewed this year during the Skagit CnR season may have noticed that you were asked what your zip code was. Had a chance to look at that raw information. Found that 1 out 11 of the interviews were from anglers that from out of the state. Those anglers came from 21 different states, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Pretty clear that fishery is attracting out of state anglers and their recreational dollars; they are voting with their dollars that Skagit is worth while fishery. Contrast that to how more and more of us are spending increasing amounts of our recreational dollars out of state due to our preceptions of decreasing opportunities.

The same zip code information also showed that their is broad interest in the Skagit fish from state anglers. There were interviews from 214 different Washington zip codes representing 21 different counties.

Curt

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
WW -
I too noticed the same things when I listened to conference call.

Hardly a surprise that the decision makers got the season length wrong but sometimes details are important. To your point the ability to make an informed decision on the Skagit creel would include season length.

Concern over the vacancy rate on its surface is disingenuous; late last month the director announce he was creating two new senior level positions; Director of Conservation and Director of Fish Policy. While those positions may be important the optics could not be worst. Not only that do they insert another link in the communication chain I suspect salary and benefits of either position would pay for the Skagit Creel or needed field staff.

Agency actions seem to indicate they are more interested in bureaucracy building than providing recreational opporunties.

Some of those that were interviewed this year during the Skagit CnR season may have noticed that you were asked what your zip code was. Had a chance to look at that raw information. Found that 1 out 11 of the interviews were from anglers that from out of the state. Those anglers came from 21 different states, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Pretty clear that fishery is attracting out of state anglers and their recreational dollars; they are voting with their dollars that Skagit is worth while fishery. Contrast that to how more and more of us are spending increasing amounts of our recreational dollars out of state due to our preceptions of decreasing opportunities.

The same zip code information also showed that their is broad interest in the Skagit fish from state anglers. There were interviews from 214 different Washington zip codes representing 21 different counties.

Curt
Thanks for the info Curt!
I also took note of Commissioner Kim Thorburn's comments, one being "a big deal for the folks up there" and the one about it being someone's, (Carpenter?) favorite fishery. Your info will help show the wide and popular interest is more than just from us folks "up here" I hope she is present at the meeting. I want to ask her how she might feel if bird watching, horseback riding, or wildlife photography were outlawed because there was no money to monitor her favorite activities.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
The other thing that I noticed was the concern for the agency's vacancy rate. Not to be crass, but here is their mandate:

The number one priority of WDFW, like any public agency, is to preserve FTEs. Actually the goal of bureaucratic management is to grow the empire so as to increase the prestige, power, and budget of the manager. And one cannot possibly grow the empire without first preserving its present size. They don't talk about this much, if at all, but subconsciously at a minimum it is the ever present focus of management.

JS

Now we’re talking....I would be down. I don't see any other way of getting any movement going.

KerryS

Ignored Member
This...

However, WDFW just ordered six 1-Salt Steelhead pontoons for spawning survey work; they them need before the end of their fiscal year (end of June) and that order will set us back some as we scramble to meet the deadline. So apparently they have money to buy new boats but don't have money to monitor a world class fishery like the Skagit?

dustinchromers

Montana just named wdfw their biggest advocate for tourism, hunting, and fishing in Montana, Idaho and surrounding states.

First, i used to think wdfw had that hard job and did the best they could. That opinion is changing and I think they need to get out of the way and possibly be totally defunded.

However, Washington as a governance concept is totally fucked. Here you had an organisation that was solvent and they robbed them and instead funded them out of the ominous and pork barrel general fund. That hurts but it's still no excuse not to at least look busy at doing your job. Washington is screwed.

Lastly, I've literally all but quit fishing. I mean not cold turkey but I'm stepping it down a bit at a time. I can honestly say I will likely not but a license this year. Why would I? My home rivers are barren of fish and overrun with guides and commercial interests be out tribal or otherwise. Why would I chose to vote with my dollar to approve this? I'm not going to. My life is actually better. I never thought I'd say that but it's true. There is plenty to do and I don't feel the constant frustration of watching the resource be killed off by the highest bidder or social currency rich.

Lastly, I'm on board with salmo. Defund these assholes. If I don't do my job I don't get paid. They have planned for a C- every year and gotten D's and F's. Even rich kids flunk out when underperforming like that. Get them out of the way and put the money where it will do some good. They are adding high level positions and putting no rubber on the road. This only works in government and non profits. They are the only entities that actually benefit and almost encourage failure as that is job security. That's why you will see the most warped inefficient non logic from folks holding "jobs" with either of the two "organizations"

In closing there is much to do in this state that doesn't involve the frustration of wdfw and other bodies of non performance. Wdfw is a joke. Our legislator and governor are a joke. Washington is a joke as far as governance and resource management. Fishing in this state is a joke and I've lost my sense of humour so I don't attend the comedy show. I sincerely love it and would like to see a rebound but it's not going to happen. We've been sold the lottery, gas taxes, ect to pay for schools ect. Yet we are always underfunded. Let them feed of scraps like Washington sportsmen have for decades and see where it goes. It can't get any worse that's a fact. I knew I would witness the end, I just figured I'd be a little older and a little more pissed off. Oh well, surfing anyone?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts