Skagit Wild Steelhead CnR Fishery........Eliminated 2020

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
@dustinchromers - I too have quit fishing Washington. First it was steel-head many years ago to avoid frustration. Now totally all of Washington.

If find it much more rewarding as well as more fun and relaxing to fish Montana and Idaho. Being retired just makes that all the easier...

dustinchromers

If find it much more rewarding as well as more fun and relaxing to fish Montana and Idaho. Being retired just makes that all the easier...[/QUOTE]

Traded my favorite sage 7141 for a pistol. I'm now liquidating everything fishing. If anybody is looking for something let me know. I'm still the owner of 20 or so spey rods and double that in single handers.

GOTY

7x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Traded my favorite sage 7141 for a pistol. I'm now liquidating everything fishing. If anybody is looking for something let me know. I'm still the owner of 20 or so spey rods and double that in single handers.
How much you want for your Hevi beads stash?

You can fish at trophy lake without a license. 18 holes of golf and rope some hog rainbows mid round. Let's do it

JACKspASS

I have not bought a WA license in 3 years. I'm so glad I got the hell out, as the writing was on the wall over a decade ago. Even back 20-30yrs ago, there was very little to no management of our steelhead fisheries. I moved to Idaho and they are managing this exeptionaly well. Lots of enforcement, creel checks, public awareness on run sizes, seasons, hatchery releases. They are studying the effects of CNR. Pit tag and wire tag data, etc.... Part of this is sizeable funding for mitigation of dams. Screw WDFW, they never gave a damn about steelhead, and now y'all will be slow walked to the great epiphany......life without chrome

Thanks for triggering me, you a-holes :D

giphy-29.gif

A lifetime of @Swimmy threads is great, but will never replace the opportunities lost and will continue to lose

dustinchromers

I have not bought a WA license in 3 years. I'm so glad I got the hell out, as the writing was on the wall over a decade ago. Even back 20-30yrs ago, there was very little to no management of our steelhead fisheries. I moved to Idaho and they are managing this exeptionaly well. Lots of enforcement, creel checks, public awareness on run sizes, seasons, hatchery releases. They are studying the effects of CNR. Pit tag and wire tag data, etc.... Part of this is sizeable funding for mitigation of dams. Screw WDFW, they never gave a damn about steelhead, and now y'all will be slow walked to the great epiphany......life without chrome

Thanks for triggering me, you a-holes :)

There's hope though. I too thought life without chrome wouldn't be possible. The lust and rush the game of chromes provided me was what I thought my driver, my purpose. But alas you too can achieve remission. True recovery is possible. I'll always be an addict but I may never relapse. Yeah I keep an old drifter around just in case, hoping. But hope is a dangerous thing.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
If find it much more rewarding as well as more fun and relaxing to fish Montana and Idaho. Being retired just makes that all the easier...

Traded my favorite sage 7141 for a pistol. I'm now liquidating everything fishing. If anybody is looking for something let me know. I'm still the owner of 20 or so spey rods and double that in single handers.[/QUOTE]

GL3 9’6”, or a DS2, anywhere in that quiver?

KerryS

Ignored Member
In spite of all the pessimism of the last few posts I'll be in Port Angeles at the Commissioners meeting Saturday to let them know that not all of us have thrown up our hands in despair.
You get the fishery you fight for.
Someone reloaded WW. Should we forewarn the commission?

Reactions: JS

dustinchromers

GL3 9’6”, or a DS2, anywhere in that quiver?[/QUOTE]

Negative

BDD

It is a bit of Catch 22. In order to conduct a recreational fishery, a responsible managing agency should perform a robust enough evaluation program so you can pass the red face test after reviewing the data that shows the population can withstand said fishery. Part of that decision comes from the data that those boats help provide. But if you don't allocate funds to monitor the fishery, well then the recreational fishing gets the shaft.

This seems like a recurring problem in this state, which is why I'm spending more of my fishing dollars elsewhere.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
responsible managing agency should perform a robust enough evaluation program so you can pass the red face test
And a responsible legislature should authorize the funding to allow the department to perform the steps required by NMFS...or accept failure and watch their citizens spend their funds elswhere.

BDD

And a responsible legislature should authorize the funding to allow the department to perform the steps required by NMFS...or accept failure and watch their citizens spend their funds elswhere.

I believe you once wrote something along the lines of you get the fishery you fight for...I fully believe that. However I find myself in a bit of a conundrum. Part of me wants to take the more proactive approach that you and many other members here take by making a harder fight. Other times I convince myself rather than fighting for a lost/losing cause, to take my fishing resources elsewhere, to where the recreational angler is appreciated. I appreciate the great work done by those to get the Skagit open again. And I have spent many years on various WDFW angling committees. But I'm tired of talking and listening to empty promises. I want to fish now.

Yeah, I realize that may sound a bit short-sighted...that I should work to protect fishing privileges for my kids. But one of them has already moved out of state with potentially more to follow. And you start to wonder why sacrifice to help an agency when they don't seem intent on helping themselves when you can cross state borders and have better fishing now?

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts