liem.salim

I have recently move to Washington (Bremerton area) from Montana. I love earning my fish rather than drive, park, fly fish, repeat. I am looking for a trail or area that I would be able to hike a couple of miles and fly fish that is away from the road and away from people. I do not have a boat to float the Yakima so wading is my only option.

Any recommendations?

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
IMHO water levels are too high to wade the Yakima until after Labor Day unless you go above the canyon and even then it can be dicey. Maybe the Cle Elm river or Teanaway but there is lots of population there...

radiowires

Take a look at the John Wayne Pioneer bike trail. It follows the Yakima. It’s a bike path but is a good way to get away from crowded areas. As noted above, the Yakima water releases will soon be ramped up for irrigation so wading becomes impractical. You can still fish from banks, rocks, and bars, but it will be high until they stop the releases in September.

nb_ken

In the canyon, there isn't a lot of privacy along the river. The road parallels pretty much the entire stretch, and you'll see boats all day regardless of where you are. Still, get on the track side of the river and hike up and down. I've found some great spots and seen some great wildlife doing that. There's a foot bridge at Umtanum to get you on that side. In the fall, when they shut down the flows, there are plenty of places you can ford the river on foot.

It's much more remote further up. If you get in around bullfrog, you can go miles without seeing anyone.

Yakima is tough on foot in the summer. Keep an eye on the flows. Anything over 2000 cfs at Umtanum makes wading prohibitive.

still releasing

If you are in Bremerton, take a look at the trout streams on the peninsula. I think it will give you what you are looking for and will save you a lot of hours behind the wheel.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
You can hit the river behind the Easton ponds. Lots of Access there. Or hit it higher. There is a campground where the river comes out of the lake at the pass. Anyplace you can get off the Freeway, you can usually find access. All you need is a good map and be willing to explore.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
It really depends on what you define as wading as far as summer goes.
No, you aren’t going to wade across the river but the river is definitely fishable by foot and you can catch fish in some places without getting your feet wet.
Think fishing the water close to the bank on higher summer irrigation flows.
SF

Nooksack Mac

Rather than drive halfway back to Montana, consider that hunk of gorgeous wilderness west of Bremerton: the Olympic National Park. On all sides, there are trails and rivers that, at least in the past, were famously productive steelhead and salmon streams.

Shad

If you are in Bremerton, take a look at the trout streams on the peninsula. I think it will give you what you are looking for and will save you a lot of hours behind the wheel.
Yup. The rivers on the east side of the Peninsula may not be full of big fish these days, but they are among the most scenic and remote places this great state has to offer, and if you're willing to work for them, you can still find some memorable resident fish.

Salvy

Been steelhead fishing once
I'm with Nooksack. Dude, you're on the OP. Fish the OP. Some decent cutts and 'bows on the OP. Your asphalt to wader ratio will be way better if you stay on the OP. The minimum should be 1:1. Safe travels if you head over the pass.

liem.salim

Thanks for all your input. I do plan fishing the OP, but when I check the regulation at the time on some of the waters that I was planing on fishing they said they were closed. So that’s why I went to the Yak.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts