Kanektok Gear Suggestions

Adam Saarinen

You can easily smoke while wearing a head net, just put the butt & some of the net into your mouth & suck! I have Finnish Lapland experience! Guideline also makes a really nice sink tip line called 4cast, not sure if they still don't have any dealers in USA, but i'm sure they still have a couple in Canada.

joelals

Pray for a light breeze! Head net so you can breath w/out inhaling bugs. If it’s not to hot a goretex jacket that bugs can’t bite through. DEET works, smoke a cigar, bandana in diesel. Pray for a light breeze!!

BigJohnJohn

Fly Fisher
WFF Premium
Thanks for all the replies and even a couple PM's. Also thanks to @ribka for the pointer to a deal on some 5W sink tip.

Sounds like there is general agreement on a head net (even if we don't agree on DEET and other stuff :)) so I will definitely pick one up.

You have all also echoed my feeling that I should definitely listen to what the guide is saying and that is my plan. To answer a few questions, it sounds like the plan is to throw egg patterns, muddlers, and sculpins and that even when throwing mice that the sink tip line allows to throw up close to the bank and avoid overhanging willows. It's my first time up there so, I will be relying on the wisdom of the guide. I also hear several call outs to include a 6W as well. I am definitely brining a 5W and an 8W. I have been debating a third rod and if so what to bring. Part of me wants to bring my EuroNymph rod because it has been so effective for me the last couple seasons but it is a 4 weight and I assume we will be doing a lot of fishing from the boat and I prefer to euro from shore. But then again, I assume there will be amble opportunity to step out of the boat and fish as well. Thoughts on that or should I just bring along my 6 weight?

While I have your attention, any thoughts on flies? I am thinking Moorish mouse, two egg sperm, and a variety of sculpin streams (sculpzilla, dalai lama, etc). I'll probably bring some flesh stuff along as well just in case and a selection of nymphs. Am I missing anything?

Thanks again for all the pointers and help!

BigJohnJohn

Fly Fisher
WFF Premium
Just as a quick follow up. Thanks to everyone that replied to this post and the PM's. All the information was great and better than anything I found on the web. The fishing trip on the Kanektok was great!! Beautiful area and outstanding fishing. We fished with Falls Creek Outdoors and the guides were great. I couldn't have been happier with the trip. Feel free to reach out to me if there are any questions I can answer for you. If I can find a way to get up there again, I will do it in a heartbeat!!

gt

having worked in AK and flown all over creation up there, head net maybe even some cotton gloves and definitely tape to close off your shirt cuffs. only made one fly in without this kit, never again.

BigJohnJohn

Fly Fisher
WFF Premium
We got really lucky on our trip and there was honestly not that many bugs to have to contend with. They were obviously lots bugging around at dusk but on the whole it was pretty manageable with insect repellent. Ultrathon continues to be my go to in these situations. I brought a headnet and never had to use it. I did treat a long sleeve shirt with permethrin and was glad I did that as well. On the whole I expected worse and it wasn't that bad at all.

I did get several tips to be proactive about protecting your hands. As a result, I wore stripping gloves most of the time and applied a hand cream in the evenings. I was glad I did this as my hands held up pretty good until the last day.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts