Lenice & Nunelly area fire

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
For the record, I’m much more concerned about the peoples of Beverly and other places nearby impacted by the fire, but I have a question:

Does a fire that completely encircles a lake impact the fishery in the short or long term? Beyond aesthetics. I imagine fish would retreat from shallows if there was warming or brightness from fires. Insects? A non-negligible amount of adults killed? Nymphs scuds etc next to shore? Insect habitat?

I drove over to Lenice today. The lake looked beautiful! The fire burned all around the lake, but it doesn't seem to have effected the lake at all. Someone had just launched in his float tube and had the whole place to himself. The fire left unburned patches scattered around. I even saw some grasshoppers. Billy may be right, some ticks might have survived!

Greg

I was kind of wondering if the runoff, containing ash, would change the pH. It seemed that there were some changes in lakes after the Twisp fires.

Scott, this was a brush fire that burned mostly sage brush and grass. There is much less ash on the ground that in a forest fire. Also, for runoff, it has to rain. We probably won't see much of that for a while on this side of the mountains.

Greg

I was driving from Mattawa to Ancient Lakes the day the fire was ripping. One of my normal routes I take to look at Vineyards. I couod see the smoke on the Wahluke Slope in the morning, but it didnt look too bad. Well, rounded the corner,and realized where the smoke was coming from. Turned down the Beverly road to take a picture as it was pretty close. They had the road closed at that firs public lake with the dock. Stopped there and took this pic:
IMG_20190615_105639_242.jpg

If you zoom in you can see one of the couple of helicopters that was dropping water, from what looked like Nunnaly. You can also see the back side of the Wahluke slope was kind of blocking the smoke. Which is why it didn't look to bad on the slope.

Buzzy

I was driving from Mattawa to Ancient Lakes the day the fire was ripping. One of my normal routes I take to look at Vineyards. I couod see the smoke on the Wahluke Slope in the morning, but it didnt look too bad. Well, rounded the corner,and realized where the smoke was coming from. Turned down the Beverly road to take a picture as it was pretty close. They had the road closed at that firs public lake with the dock. Stopped there and took this pic:
View attachment 204560

If you zoom in you can see one of the couple of helicopters that was dropping water, from what looked like Nunnaly. You can also see the back side of the Wahluke slope was kind of blocking the smoke. Which is why it didn't look to bad on the slope.
Good job on the photograph. Thanks for sharing.

dp

~El Pescador
A buddy of mine stayed at the dunes (ORV Park) this past weekend. he said the fire fighters are still in the area responding to hot spots. said the area is burnt on both sides of the road. he took this picture from the dunes looking towards Nunnally. He also said the big house on Nunnally is still there.

looks horrible

Attachments

Latest posts