Epeorus dulcianas?

Jim Speaker

Hi, Roger. Long time no chat.

I think I’ve nailed this bug to Epeorus. It was photographed yesterday on a central cascades stream that I cannot publicly name. The hatch started around 11 am and was going strong when we left mid-Afternoon. They were hatching from fast, clean, cold (48F) water running over gravel.

The bodies were about a 17-18 hook size, which got me thinking dulcianas based on what I read on troutnut.

What do you think?
71EC2885-436E-415B-84FC-186D3FCD9EB9.jpeg

Taxon

WFF Moderator
Hi Jim-

I am not seeing anything that would rule out Epeorus. How did you come to suspect it may be Epeorus dulciana? I am unable to find any mention of that (somewhat obscure) species on Troutnut.

Jim Speaker

Hi Jim-

I am not seeing anything that would rule out Epeorus. How did you come to suspect it may be Epeorus dulciana? I am unable to find any mention of that (somewhat obscure) species on Troutnut.
http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/1069

The body length was about 5mm, maybe a hair bigger. I’m pretty good at eyeballing a specimen on the stream and coming up with the standard dry fly hook size. These bugs were 18, maybe approaching 17, definitely not 16. A TMC 900 in size 18 is exactly 5 mm.

According to what I read, dulcianas is the smallest species and 5-6 mm is in that ballpark.

Troutnut

Hi Jim,

All I can say is that yours looks pretty similar to mine, although the color's a bit more vivid (maybe due to being photographed more freshly after emergence). I still don't have any updates on whether the one I photographed is dulciana or anything else.

Jason

Jim Speaker

Hi Jim,

All I can say is that yours looks pretty similar to mine, although the color's a bit more vivid (maybe due to being photographed more freshly after emergence). I still don't have any updates on whether the one I photographed is dulciana or anything else.

Jason
Whatever the case, it’s sure an awesome little bug!

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear from you!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock