Orthotics in your boots?

Does anyone put orthotics or an over the counter alternative in their wading boots? If so, do you have dedicated set for your boots? And do you have to do anything special for maintenance/cleaning & drying?

I still have a month+ before I can use my foot as it was intended but was just informed that I will need to use an insert or orthotic to avoid arthritic pain. Looking forward to getting back on the water when I can. Until then, I will just keep enjoying this site and all the reports.

Also, thank you to those who got the site back up and running! I can only handle so much of the rest of the internet.

MD

Does anyone put orthotics or an over the counter alternative in their wading boots? If so, do you have dedicated set for your boots? And do you have to do anything special for maintenance/cleaning & drying?

I still have a month+ before I can use my foot as it was intended but was just informed that I will need to use an insert or orthotic to avoid arthritic pain. Looking forward to getting back on the water when I can. Until then, I will just keep enjoying this site and all the reports.

Also, thank you to those who got the site back up and running! I can only handle so much of the rest of the internet.
I kept a pair of Superfeet in my last pair of wading boots....mostly cuz the boots were big, needed a spacer/filler, and I had an extra pair of SF sitting around. Quite comfortable,actually, and I noticed no additional wear to the wader bootie.

No additional maintenance done and they lasted the 2 seasons I had the boots

Dr. Scholes (Sp?) has a kiosk type thing in many stores. You stand on a sensor and the machine determines the best "number" to suggest one of the many pre made insoles. I think it was $50 and if you are not satisfied they will give your money back (and you keep the insoles.) They worked wonders for me.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I have replaced the mfg insoles in my trail runners with "Sole" brand orthotic insoles, that are similar to "Superfeet" brand. At the end of a hike or at camp on an overnighter I lift up/pull out the insoles to get air circulation underneath, especially if my shoes got wet to help avoid funk in my shoes. I used to wear prescription orthotics in hiking boots that were a fiberglass core with a cloth top covering that I don't think were "compromised" by water, but I did pull them up/out to let the boots dry.

I don't do usually do this with stock insoles but the Sole/Superfeet can cost upwards of $40 a pair. The prescription orthotics' cost was in the $x00s of dollars.

b_illymac

Member Active

I dunno but I'll be sorta in same boat soon since i destroyed my ankle. well soon as in I hope I can be back in a float tube by fall:(

Salmo_g

A friend of mine put insoles, don't know what brand, in his Simms wading boots. Never saw him remove them after we finished fishing for the day, so I don't know if he gives them any extra care. Probably depends on what kind of insoles one uses.

I use full orthotics in my wade boots. I screwed up my ankle really bad without them from walking on old river beds and rivers. Never again will I go without orthodics.

Haggis57

I've also been using a Dr. Scholls' orthodics in my Korkers wading boots for the last 3 years. I move the insoles between my wading and hiking boots. I just wash the insoles whenever I wash the wading boots. No issues at all. Ken

Latest posts