New Member New Fly Fisher

Hello folks, I'm a new member to this forum. I've used this forums resources many times to find some spots or check reports on spots (yall offer up way to much info for public access on spots! ;)). I live and fish mostly on the west side of the state.

I have been a spin angler for all my life since I was a young boy. I realized how limited I was in rivers because of spin fishing and decided to take an intro course with Avid Angler fly shop. I haven't looked back, I am thoroughly enjoying fly fishing. I am very concentrated on honing my dry dropper and tight line nymphing methods for now. Very excited for this season and looking forward to hitting some blue lines on the east side of the state.

Salmo_g

Welcome. If you've been honing your dry dropper and tight line nymphing techniques, you probably know more about fly fishing than most members here. I look forward to you sharing information so we all can improve our skilz.

Welcome. If you've been honing your dry dropper and tight line nymphing techniques, you probably know more about fly fishing than most members here. I look forward to you sharing information so we all can improve our skilz.
That is very kind lol. I dont have the fish in the net count to prove that yet though. I'm just getting ready to hit the Foss, maybe I'll up the count.

IveofIone

Welcome and get ready to do some driving! You will quickly exhaust your supply of blue lines on the east side of the state and then-like many of us-find yourself plying your trade on the NFCDA, St Joe, Kelly Creek, the Kootnai, NF Clearwater, Deschutes etc. And those are just the close ones!

And just getting started I would recommend a 10' nymphing rod of some sort, the extra foot of length over a 9 footer is something you will appreciate right from the get-go. Years ago I fished the Deschutes with a guy that was a devout dry fly purist. On good hatch days he did well but on average I would out fish him about 3-1 by high sticking nymphs almost across my boot tops. He always said that one fish on a dry was equal to 3 on a nymph but I never bought a nickel's worth of that story. Getting good at nymphing means you can catch fish when there is not a single bug in the air and dry fly prospects look grim. You'll probably catch a ton of whitefish but even that helps as it teaches you to recognize the difference in water that holds whiteies and water that is more likely to hold trout.

Enjoy the challenge.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
WTF? You never sent me a PM on the Foss or any other river for that matter. And I thought we were friends.

Welcome aboard Mr. Jones.
As old as you are feeling you couldn't make the brush busting at your advanced age:p:p:p. Besides The Foss would be just a long drive for you and like I said your advanced age would stop you.:p:p:p

Latest posts