Favorite threads

hachymojo

I’ve been trying to expand on my spartan trout fly material selection as of late, and now I’m looking at my thread. I have a few colors of waxed uni in 6/0 and 8/0. I’m not too impressed with the thread bodies I get but like the way it bites into hair. What colors/brand do you find that you are constantly restocking. I’m hoping to add about twenty or so spoils of various sizes and hoping to get the most bang for my buck.

I still use Uni in 6/0 and 8/0 for most of my fishing flies (being polyester I like it's strength) but use UTC for Atlantic's or anytime I need to flatten the thread for a smooth body.

I like to use clear mono on most of my flies. It's thin, it's strong, and will take color if I want to change the head color. Because it's clear, it also shows the material beneath and if you use epoxy or other head cement, it disappears. I have found larger spools in fabric stores that have the same diameter/strength at half the price or less.

hachymojo

Thanks for the replies, as far as colors go I went through a few of my fly books and kept count. Black, brown, tan and olive in that order were the most used with cream, grey, orange and yellow a ways back but with a worth mentioning showing. I think I’m going to check out Veevus for the small stuff, get some Danville for smooth bodies/underbodies and a few spools of something stronger for spinning hair and bigger streamers

1morecast

Try using unwaxed thread for bodies. Twist the thread counter clockwise and you will see it lays flatter.
I use unwaxed thread for all my flies, makes nice neat heads.

Jim f, I did the same exact thing except I would put the spool back when I was done. Had a pair of vice grips 4 a vice with bricks holding it down. And rubber bands around the spool. This was in the mid 50s. Mike w

Semperfli's nano thread for me, mostly 12/0 in white, colour the thread when whip finishing. I find that with the gelspun tying threads the colour that is applied at the factory is no where near permanent and tends to come off inside of the bobbin tube gumming it up, easy solution is white thread and coloured markers.

Colin

I like to use clear mono on most of my flies. It's thin, it's strong, and will take color if I want to change the head color. Because it's clear, it also shows the material beneath and if you use epoxy or other head cement, it disappears. I have found larger spools in fabric stores that have the same diameter/strength at half the price or less.

I too tie with a lot of mono. Especially on anything where I use uv resin and want the body material to show thru. Great stuff once you get used to it.

Latest posts